Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Chainplates! What is Silpruf?

  • mjkassoc@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
      What is Silpruf?

      Joe Kosheff
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 6, 2007
        Silpruf is a silicone adhesive/sealant that is used commercially to hold windows on big buildings in place. Or that's what I remember from reading about it a year ago.

        Having used it to rebed ports, I have to admit that I like the stuff. The caulk has more body is less gooey and sticky than most silicone caulks making it pretty easy to work with. As far back as 1981 (maybe before) Sabre used it to bed ports. That's the upside.

        The downside is that after 25 years of being attached to an aluminum frame, it is one bear to get off!!!!

        A combination of heat from a heat gun, patience (in copious amounts), Dap Silicone Caulk remover (from Lowe's or the Home Despot), a special scraping tool I constructed out of scrap oak corner molding, and some cold adult beverages will cause Silpruf to break its bonds with the frame.

        Dave

        Identity Crisis

        S30 #52

        Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario