RE: [SabreSailboat] Re: The Other Carter Brey

  • yaf001
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

      And less than five weeks to the Sabre Chamber Music Society of Connecticut playoffs in Clinton !

      The eminent sailor and musical maestro CB has graciously agreed to perform a program of the Bach gamba sonatas with a certain harpsichordist who is the rightful owner of our Sabre 34 ( Linda Skernick ). An event on the concert calendar of the George Flynn Classical Concert Series in Clinton , CT Sunday afternoon 3/04/07 at 4PM!  A Flemish harpsichord I made back in ’82 when I was doing serious instrument making will provide the obbligato under Linda’s hands to CB’s magnificent Vc playing.

      Yves

      “Alphee” (44)

      S34 Mk II 1986 #282

      Stonington, CT

      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
        If it were not for the (7th Annual!) Father-Daughter dance this
        evening at the elementary school, I would be taking my eldest to see
        Carter in action. Her elementary school offers a "strings" program
        starting in 3rd grade and so she started this year with the viola and
        is enjoying it very much.

        Since we can't make the performance, I thought that I would tell her
        a bit about Carter and inspire her a bit. During the process of
        explaining, I broke out the GOB article that covered his Cape Dory
        and then showed her some of the videos he has posted on YouTube of
        his Sabre 28...all along discussing his enjoyment of what he does
        with the cello, his success, and that it clearly took lots of
        practice.

        After a bit, she gets a big smile and I, oh so proud that the point
        hit home, ask her what she is thinking. She then gets an even bigger
        grin and notes that perhaps if I practiced more, I could sail more
        like Mr. Brey! I fell right into that one...and, I am willing to
        admit that she is right. So, we agreed, more "practice" time - on
        and off the water!

        Jay
      • Carter Brey
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
          Jay,

          The thought that all my decades of music study have resulted in the
          spectacle of my thrashing about off a lee shore trying to put in a reef
          while singlehanded in 20+ knots is a sobering one indeed! If only it
          worked the other way-- every hour of sailing making us better in his or
          her chosen profession-- then that would be a ticket to complete happiness.

          As the father of a girl and a boy I applaud your sense of priority.
          Instrument study is not only a pleasurable end in itself for anyone at
          any age, it is one of the best ways I've seen to instill a sense of
          regularity and discipline into a young person. And dancing with your
          daughter is one of those great things in life.

          I will now confess that my wife just walked in on me practicing taking
          noon sights with my sextant and artificial horizon. The sight of a
          52-year-old man barricaded in the south-facing bedroom squinting through
          a contraption at a little plastic box filled with water was a little
          beyond her capacity to absorb with equanimity. She nearly died laughing.

          Onward and upward, gentlemen. Excelsior.

          Carter

          P.S. Local transit was at 12:09.

          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
            Let us not forget the restorative power of sailing and learning to harness and respond to forces over which we have little control. The experiences and memories of them can have a calming and focusing effect. How many of us have taken some time to escape a stressful day at work by remembering a favorite sail, the feel of the wind, the motion of the sea? The experience of a balanced helm is more than just sailing, it is a metaphor for living.

            Now back to fixing the snowblower, putting the dryer vent back together, and bringing in some more wood. Highs of 10-15 predicted next week with snowfalls measured by the foot in the hills to the north. And in the back of my mind will be images of warm summer breezes, French wines and cheeses.

            Dave

            dabunders wrote:
            > If it were not for the (7th Annual!) Father-Daughter dance this
            > evening at the elementary school, I would be taking my eldest to see
            > Carter in action. Her elementary school offers a "strings" program
            > starting in 3rd grade and so she started this year with the viola and
            > is enjoying it very much.
            >
            > Since we can't make the performance, I thought that I would tell her
            > a bit about Carter and inspire her a bit. During the process of
            > explaining, I broke out the GOB article that covered his Cape Dory
            > and then showed her some of the videos he has posted on YouTube of
            > his Sabre 28...all along discussing his enjoyment of what he does
            > with the cello, his success, and that it clearly took lots of
            > practice.
            >
            > After a bit, she gets a big smile and I, oh so proud that the point
            > hit home, ask her what she is thinking. She then gets an even bigger
            > grin and notes that perhaps if I practiced more, I could sail more
            > like Mr. Brey! I fell right into that one...and, I am willing to
            > admit that she is right. So, we agreed, more "practice" time - on
            > and off the water!
            >

            > Jay

          • encore362
            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
              As a regular subscriber to the NY Phil, I can addest to Carter's
              virtuosity! Can you post the actual location of the March 4 event in
              Clinton. The Long Island Sound Sabre Association is holding its
              Annual Spring Brunch that day at the Stonington Harbor Yacht Club,
              and some of us from west of there may well be passing through Clinton
              on our way home by about 4:00 PM.

              Jim, Encore Sabre 362 (1997)

              - In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "yaf001" <yaf001@...> wrote:

              > And less than five weeks to the Sabre Chamber Music Society of
              Connecticut
              > playoffs in Clinton!
              >

              > The eminent sailor and musical maestro CB has graciously agreed to
              perform a
              > program of the Bach gamba sonatas with a certain harpsichordist who
              is the
              > rightful owner of our Sabre 34 (Linda Skernick). An event on the
              concert
              > calendar of the George Flynn Classical Concert Series in Clinton,
              CT Sunday
              > afternoon 3/04/07 at 4PM! A Flemish harpsichord I made back in '82
              when I
              > was doing serious instrument making will provide the obbligato
              under Linda's
              > hands to CB's magnificent Vc playing.
              >

              > Yves
              >
              > "Alphee" (44)
              >
              > S34 Mk II 1986 #282
              >
              > Stonington, CT
              >

              > _____

            • yaf001
              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007

                Jim, an unfortunate coincidence of event timing – why don’t these concert presenters take note of things like the LISSA Spring Brunch?!

                It’s at 4PM at Andrews Memorial Hall, Clinton , CT   info at

                http://www.georgeflynnclassicalconcerts.com/upcomingconcerts.htm

                Had the timing been different, there would have been 3-4 more people at SHYC in Stonington !!!!! Have a grand time, it’s a beautiful place for the event!

                Yves

                S34 Mk II #282 “Alphee”

                Stonington, CT

                As a regular subscriber to the NY Phil, I can addest to Carter's
                virtuosity! Can you post the actual location of the March 4 event in
                Clinton . The Long Island Sound Sabre Association is holding its
                Annual Spring Brunch that day at the Stonington Harbor Yacht Club,
                and some of us from west of there may well be passing through Clinton
                on our way home by about 4:00 PM.

                Jim, Encore Sabre 362 (1997)

                - In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "yaf001" <yaf001@...> wrote:

                > And less than five weeks to the Sabre Chamber Music Society of
                Connecticut
                > playoffs in Clinton !
                >

                > The eminent sailor and musical maestro CB has graciously agreed to
                perform a
                > program of the Bach gamba sonatas with a certain harpsichordist who
                is the
                > rightful owner of our Sabre 34 (Linda Skernick). An event on the
                concert
                > calendar of the George Flynn Classical Concert Series in
                w:st="on">Clinton ,
                CT Sunday
                > afternoon 3/04/07 at 4PM! A Flemish harpsichord I made back in '82
                when I
                > was doing serious instrument making will provide the obbligato
                under Linda's
                > hands to CB's magnificent Vc playing.
                >

                > Yves
                >
                > "Alphee" (44)
                >
                > S34 Mk II 1986 #282
                >
                > Stonington ,
                w:st="on">CT

                > _____

              • gmuller22
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <cbrey@...> wrote:

                  > Jay,
                  >
                  > The thought that all my decades of music study have resulted in the
                  > spectacle of my thrashing about off a lee shore trying to put in a reef
                  > while singlehanded in 20+ knots is a sobering one indeed! If only it
                  > worked the other way-- every hour of sailing making us better in his or
                  > her chosen profession-- then that would be a ticket to complete happiness.

                  I'm afraid, Carter, that there is little to be gained from single-handidly trashing about in 20+ knots trying to put in a reef in order to clear a rapidly approaching lee shore other than the promise to oneself, or in your pleadings to God if things get particularly desperate, that if you survive this you will read the marine forecasts far, far more closely next time.

                  Frankly, the pleasures that I've gained from sailing come in large part from the fact that it really has nothing to do with anything else. It has neither helped nor hindered me, as far as I can tell.  What it does serve, though, is as a dependable refuge from these land bound pursuits. And to that end, I hope to sail as long as my strenghts will allow.

                  > I will now confess that my wife just walked in on me practicing taking
                  > noon sights with my sextant and artificial horizon. The sight of a
                  > 52-year-old man barricaded in the south-facing bedroom squinting through
                  > a contraption at a little plastic box filled with water was a little
                  > beyond her capacity to absorb with equanimity. She nearly died laughing.

                  Clearly, your barricading skills need improvement. I would have thought that while your wife was hacking away at the door you would have had sufficient time to either come with a good excuse for playing with the sextant, such as, "Good news, dear, I no longer place the house a mile into Long Island Sound" or stashed the thing away and pulled out a copy of Playboy which might have provoked a different and, possibly, more pleasurable response entirely. Or if that doesn't appeal, keep an Astrolabe nearby, and when she again bashes through your strenghtened barricades, take some imagenary sighting, and exclaim, "So that's how Columbus, did it!". Then walk calmly out without another word. Legends have been created from less.

                  Gerard

                • David Felsenthal
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                    I'm utterly convinced that the skills I have learned through sailing,
                    and by associating with other sailor on and off the water have made
                    essential contributions to my personal and professional life.

                    I don't mean the actual sailing skills, although the ability to reef
                    when in a stormy meeting is always helpful. I refer instead to things
                    that relate to teamwork. To (attempting to) staying calm in stressful
                    situations. To evaluating other peoples skills and figuring out who
                    should do what.

                    Carter, after getting off that lee shore didn't the next shore side
                    challenge seem a little less like a life and death situation?

                    David