The Other Carter Brey

  • ajlorman
    Message 1 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
      For those of you in the DC/Baltimore area, a group called "Carter Brey
      and the Birthday Boys" will be performing at The Music Center at
      Strathmore on Saturday, February 10.

      Al Lorman
    • gmuller22
      Message 2 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "ajlorman" <ajlorman@...> wrote:

        > For those of you in the DC/Baltimore area, a group called "Carter Brey
        > and the Birthday Boys" will be performing at The Music Center at
        > Strathmore on Saturday, February 10.
        >
        > Al Lorman

        That's right, Al, but in spite of the title it is not a rock group. But since you bring this up you should know that Carter Brey is one of the finest cellist in this country and, I believe, has been the principal cellist at the NY Philharmonic now for some time (If you're not the Principal Cellist, Carter, consider this posting as constituting your promotion).

        The birthday boys refers to the three composers on the program, Stravinsky, Elgar, and Adams, who are all experiencing noteworthy birthdays. However, putting a live composer in the same company as dead composers may have implications for Mr. Adams that he might not want to ponder.

        Now that you all know of Carter's eminence don't go bothering him with all your cello problems.

        By the way, the program that Carter will appear on is a terrific one. Carter will be performing in Elgar's cello concerto, a piece not often seen on programs these days but one of the finest pieces written for the cello. Go hear it if you can.

        One other thing, even though they titled the program cleverly to draw in those who might think it is a rock group, I have it on good authority that Carter will not be smashing his cello on stage after performing.

        I hope that doesn't disappoint anybody.

        Gerard

      • Lorman, Alvin J.
        Message 3 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
          Message
          Actually, Gerard, I did know about Carter's eminence in the musical world.  I have even been known to listen to classical music.  The phrasing of my post was somewhat tongue in cheek.

[...]

          IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP to be used and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity, investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP) of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayers should seek advice based on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.

          This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
        • GREGORY THOMPSON
          Message 4 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
            I have heard that he is great at jumping into the mosh pit however....

            >>> gmuller22@... 2/2/2007 2:49 PM >>>

            Message 5 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Lorman, Alvin J." <ajlorman@...> wrote:

              > Actually, Gerard, I did know about Carter's eminence in the musical
              > world. I have even been known to listen to classical music.

              Well, that'll be our little secret then. You don't want something like that to get around these days.

              The phrasing of my post was somewhat tongue in cheek.

              Since your phrasing was "somewhat" tongue in cheek and not "totally" tongue in cheek I'm still left with the sneaking suspicion that you will be one of the disappointed ones when he doesn't smash his cello.

              Message 6 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "GREGORY THOMPSON" <gregory.thompson@...> wrote:

                > I have heard that he is great at jumping into the mosh pit however....

                That's a vision I have a real problem wrapping mind around.

              • Carter Brey
                Message 7 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                  There is indeed only one of me. I prefer Mozart to Beethoven and I
                  always lock my prop in reverse while sailing. I think that about covers
                  it. Yes, I am principal cellist of the NY Phil, but I wield my awesome
                  power with the judicious hand of moderation tempered with mercy.

                  Less than seven weeks to Vernal Equinox. Hang in there, fellas.

                  CB
                  Message 8 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007
                    Up here in the frozen, snowbound north we've heard of them NY Phil and the Harmonics!

                    The guy with the electric cello is pretty awesome.

                    Of course we're still wishing Sears printed a catalog and all.

                    Dave

                    On Feb 2, 2007, at 5:23 PM, Carter Brey wrote:

                    There is indeed only one of me. I prefer Mozart to Beethoven and I
                    always lock my prop in reverse while sailing. I think that about covers
                    it. Yes, I am principal cellist of the NY Phil, but I wield my awesome
                    power with the judicious hand of moderation tempered with mercy.

                    Less than seven weeks to Vernal Equinox. Hang in there, fellas.

                    CB

                  • yaf001
                    Message 9 of 16 , Feb 2, 2007

                      And less than five weeks to the Sabre Chamber Music Society of Connecticut playoffs in Clinton !

                      The eminent sailor and musical maestro CB has graciously agreed to perform a program of the Bach gamba sonatas with a certain harpsichordist who is the rightful owner of our Sabre 34 ( Linda Skernick ). An event on the concert calendar of the George Flynn Classical Concert Series in Clinton , CT Sunday afternoon 3/04/07 at 4PM!  A Flemish harpsichord I made back in ’82 when I was doing serious instrument making will provide the obbligato under Linda’s hands to CB’s magnificent Vc playing.

                      Yves

                      “Alphee” (44)

                      S34 Mk II 1986 #282

                      Stonington, CT

                      Message 10 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                        If it were not for the (7th Annual!) Father-Daughter dance this
                        evening at the elementary school, I would be taking my eldest to see
                        Carter in action. Her elementary school offers a "strings" program
                        starting in 3rd grade and so she started this year with the viola and
                        is enjoying it very much.

                        Since we can't make the performance, I thought that I would tell her
                        a bit about Carter and inspire her a bit. During the process of
                        explaining, I broke out the GOB article that covered his Cape Dory
                        and then showed her some of the videos he has posted on YouTube of
                        his Sabre 28...all along discussing his enjoyment of what he does
                        with the cello, his success, and that it clearly took lots of
                        practice.

                        After a bit, she gets a big smile and I, oh so proud that the point
                        hit home, ask her what she is thinking. She then gets an even bigger
                        grin and notes that perhaps if I practiced more, I could sail more
                        like Mr. Brey! I fell right into that one...and, I am willing to
                        admit that she is right. So, we agreed, more "practice" time - on
                        and off the water!

                        Jay
                      • Carter Brey
                        Message 11 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                          Jay,

                          The thought that all my decades of music study have resulted in the
                          spectacle of my thrashing about off a lee shore trying to put in a reef
                          while singlehanded in 20+ knots is a sobering one indeed! If only it
                          worked the other way-- every hour of sailing making us better in his or
                          her chosen profession-- then that would be a ticket to complete happiness.

                          As the father of a girl and a boy I applaud your sense of priority.
                          Instrument study is not only a pleasurable end in itself for anyone at
                          any age, it is one of the best ways I've seen to instill a sense of
                          regularity and discipline into a young person. And dancing with your
                          daughter is one of those great things in life.

                          I will now confess that my wife just walked in on me practicing taking
                          noon sights with my sextant and artificial horizon. The sight of a
                          52-year-old man barricaded in the south-facing bedroom squinting through
                          a contraption at a little plastic box filled with water was a little
                          beyond her capacity to absorb with equanimity. She nearly died laughing.

                          Onward and upward, gentlemen. Excelsior.

                          Carter

                          P.S. Local transit was at 12:09.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                            Let us not forget the restorative power of sailing and learning to harness and respond to forces over which we have little control. The experiences and memories of them can have a calming and focusing effect. How many of us have taken some time to escape a stressful day at work by remembering a favorite sail, the feel of the wind, the motion of the sea? The experience of a balanced helm is more than just sailing, it is a metaphor for living.

                            Now back to fixing the snowblower, putting the dryer vent back together, and bringing in some more wood. Highs of 10-15 predicted next week with snowfalls measured by the foot in the hills to the north. And in the back of my mind will be images of warm summer breezes, French wines and cheeses.

                            Dave

                            dabunders wrote:
                            > If it were not for the (7th Annual!) Father-Daughter dance this
                            > evening at the elementary school, I would be taking my eldest to see
                            > Carter in action. Her elementary school offers a "strings" program
                            > starting in 3rd grade and so she started this year with the viola and
                            > is enjoying it very much.
                            >
                            > Since we can't make the performance, I thought that I would tell her
                            > a bit about Carter and inspire her a bit. During the process of
                            > explaining, I broke out the GOB article that covered his Cape Dory
                            > and then showed her some of the videos he has posted on YouTube of
                            > his Sabre 28...all along discussing his enjoyment of what he does
                            > with the cello, his success, and that it clearly took lots of
                            > practice.
                            >
                            > After a bit, she gets a big smile and I, oh so proud that the point
                            > hit home, ask her what she is thinking. She then gets an even bigger
                            > grin and notes that perhaps if I practiced more, I could sail more
                            > like Mr. Brey! I fell right into that one...and, I am willing to
                            > admit that she is right. So, we agreed, more "practice" time - on
                            > and off the water!
                            >

                            > Jay

                          • encore362
                            Message 13 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007
                              As a regular subscriber to the NY Phil, I can addest to Carter's
                              virtuosity! Can you post the actual location of the March 4 event in
                              Clinton. The Long Island Sound Sabre Association is holding its
                              Annual Spring Brunch that day at the Stonington Harbor Yacht Club,
                              and some of us from west of there may well be passing through Clinton
                              on our way home by about 4:00 PM.

                              Jim, Encore Sabre 362 (1997)

                              - In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "yaf001" <yaf001@...> wrote:

                              > And less than five weeks to the Sabre Chamber Music Society of
                              Connecticut
                              > playoffs in Clinton!
                              >

                              > The eminent sailor and musical maestro CB has graciously agreed to
                              perform a
                              > program of the Bach gamba sonatas with a certain harpsichordist who
                              is the
                              > rightful owner of our Sabre 34 (Linda Skernick). An event on the
                              concert
                              > calendar of the George Flynn Classical Concert Series in Clinton,
                              CT Sunday
                              > afternoon 3/04/07 at 4PM! A Flemish harpsichord I made back in '82
                              when I
                              > was doing serious instrument making will provide the obbligato
                              under Linda's
                              > hands to CB's magnificent Vc playing.
                              >

                              > Yves
                              >
                              > "Alphee" (44)
                              >
                              > S34 Mk II 1986 #282
                              >
                              > Stonington, CT
                              >

                              > _____

                            • yaf001
                              Message 14 of 16 , Feb 3, 2007

                                Jim, an unfortunate coincidence of event timing – why don’t these concert presenters take note of things like the LISSA Spring Brunch?!

                                It’s at 4PM at Andrews Memorial Hall, Clinton , CT   info at

                                http://www.georgeflynnclassicalconcerts.com/upcomingconcerts.htm

                                Had the timing been different, there would have been 3-4 more people at SHYC in Stonington !!!!! Have a grand time, it’s a beautiful place for the event!

                                Yves

                                S34 Mk II #282 “Alphee”

                                Stonington, CT

                                As a regular subscriber to the NY Phil, I can addest to Carter's
                                virtuosity! Can you post the actual location of the March 4 event in
                                Clinton . The Long Island Sound Sabre Association is holding its
                                Annual Spring Brunch that day at the Stonington Harbor Yacht Club,
                                and some of us from west of there may well be passing through Clinton
                                on our way home by about 4:00 PM.

                                Jim, Encore Sabre 362 (1997)

                                - In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "yaf001" <yaf001@...> wrote:

                                > And less than five weeks to the Sabre Chamber Music Society of
                                Connecticut
                                > playoffs in Clinton !
                                >

                                > The eminent sailor and musical maestro CB has graciously agreed to
                                perform a
                                > program of the Bach gamba sonatas with a certain harpsichordist who
                                is the
                                > rightful owner of our Sabre 34 (Linda Skernick). An event on the
                                concert
                                > calendar of the George Flynn Classical Concert Series in
                                w:st="on">Clinton ,
                                CT Sunday
                                > afternoon 3/04/07 at 4PM! A Flemish harpsichord I made back in '82
                                when I
                                > was doing serious instrument making will provide the obbligato
                                under Linda's
                                > hands to CB's magnificent Vc playing.
                                >

                                > Yves
                                >
                                > "Alphee" (44)
                                >
                                > S34 Mk II 1986 #282
                                >
                                > Stonington ,
                                w:st="on">CT

                                > _____

                              • gmuller22
                                Message 15 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007

                                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <cbrey@...> wrote:

                                  > Jay,
                                  >
                                  > The thought that all my decades of music study have resulted in the
                                  > spectacle of my thrashing about off a lee shore trying to put in a reef
                                  > while singlehanded in 20+ knots is a sobering one indeed! If only it
                                  > worked the other way-- every hour of sailing making us better in his or
                                  > her chosen profession-- then that would be a ticket to complete happiness.

                                  I'm afraid, Carter, that there is little to be gained from single-handidly trashing about in 20+ knots trying to put in a reef in order to clear a rapidly approaching lee shore other than the promise to oneself, or in your pleadings to God if things get particularly desperate, that if you survive this you will read the marine forecasts far, far more closely next time.

                                  Frankly, the pleasures that I've gained from sailing come in large part from the fact that it really has nothing to do with anything else. It has neither helped nor hindered me, as far as I can tell.  What it does serve, though, is as a dependable refuge from these land bound pursuits. And to that end, I hope to sail as long as my strenghts will allow.

                                  > I will now confess that my wife just walked in on me practicing taking
                                  > noon sights with my sextant and artificial horizon. The sight of a
                                  > 52-year-old man barricaded in the south-facing bedroom squinting through
                                  > a contraption at a little plastic box filled with water was a little
                                  > beyond her capacity to absorb with equanimity. She nearly died laughing.

                                  Clearly, your barricading skills need improvement. I would have thought that while your wife was hacking away at the door you would have had sufficient time to either come with a good excuse for playing with the sextant, such as, "Good news, dear, I no longer place the house a mile into Long Island Sound" or stashed the thing away and pulled out a copy of Playboy which might have provoked a different and, possibly, more pleasurable response entirely. Or if that doesn't appeal, keep an Astrolabe nearby, and when she again bashes through your strenghtened barricades, take some imagenary sighting, and exclaim, "So that's how Columbus, did it!". Then walk calmly out without another word. Legends have been created from less.

                                  Gerard

                                • David Felsenthal
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Feb 4, 2007
                                    I'm utterly convinced that the skills I have learned through sailing,
                                    and by associating with other sailor on and off the water have made
                                    essential contributions to my personal and professional life.

                                    I don't mean the actual sailing skills, although the ability to reef
                                    when in a stormy meeting is always helpful. I refer instead to things
                                    that relate to teamwork. To (attempting to) staying calm in stressful
                                    situations. To evaluating other peoples skills and figuring out who
                                    should do what.

                                    Carter, after getting off that lee shore didn't the next shore side
                                    challenge seem a little less like a life and death situation?

                                    David