A4 Water Pump Access on Sabre 28-Newbie

  • boboobecker
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2007
      We just purchased a 1974 S28 which has not been used for two seasons.
      Things-to-do list includes replace the water pump on the A4 as well as
      the drain pipe-both on the starboard side of the engine. It can't be
      impossible to get to, but clearly is difficult. I've searched this
      board for suggestions, but have been unsuccessful. I haven't confirmed
      whether there is access from the starboard locker (boat is 300 miles
      away).

      Suggestions appreciated.
    • Chuck LeBlanc
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1 7:00 AM
        There is not access from the starboard locker due to a bulkhead just aftward of the reversing gear housing. I have a '73 sabre 28 with a 1957 A4. I would suggest you purchase a Service and Overhaul from Moyer Marine. You are correct that it is difficult access to the starboard side for any servicing of the water pump, but with some patience it can be done. SpeedSeal pump covers make life easier for changing impellers.

        Chuck LeBlanc
         "Dulcinea"
        Hull 29 Sabre 28
        Gardiner, Maine

        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 1 7:16 AM
          Here is a Moyer Marine Miss August link of the 1957 A4 rebuild I did for my 1973 Sabre 28. If there are any questions I can answer I would be glad to help out.

          http://www.moyermarine.com/august06.htm

          Chuck LeBlanc
          "Dulcinea"
          Hull 29 Sabre 28