Re: [SabreSailboat] South to Biscayne Bay

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
      Sounds good Ed,
      Our only reason for choosing the Exumas is that we haven't been yet.  We love the Abacos and Eleuthera, but want to try something new.  We're a little bit of novelty and adventure junkies.  It's very likely we'll come back via the Abacos in the spring.
      Bill Blalock & Susan MacLaughlin, Surfer Girl

      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
        Bill, Ed:

        Someday, I hope to join you over there. How bad will
        our full fin keel drawing 6'-6" limit our movement?

        Jan

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • godwin jones
        Message 3 of 18 , Jan 4, 2007
          Made that crossing several years ago.  Left No Name at 4:00am and passed by Gun Cay about 2:00.  Kept going and anchored about 9:00pm near Russel Beacon.  Looked like a city out there.  Then checked in at Chub and on to Nassau.  Another days motor got us to Allens Cay - next two months were absolutely great as we leisurely hopped down to Georgetown, stayed two weeks and explored some more.  Water is prettier than Abacos and much less commercial.  Go for Exumas.
              Explorer charts are (or at least were) only game in town - far above others.  I also had them on a CD for laptop running old Chartview.  Never used laptop for navigation.  So easy just to put in GPS and go.
              Returned via Eleuthera and Abacos.  You will need all 3 Explorer chart books.  Some guide books are better than others - don't recall which we used most.
              Have a great winter.
          Godwin
          Bojangles S-34-II

          Message 4 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007
            Guys , I removed the old black hose from head to the
            thrill hull. Head discharge. All new white 1 1/2 in
            marine hose. BUT , there is always a but. The thru
            hull seacock is frozen in the closed position. Just
            won't budge. Now the 28 has that bulkhead behind the
            head and of course the thru hull is exactly on the I
            have trouble bending my Rt knee due to a total knee
            replacement last year.
            So I think I can remove the head cut a access hole
            thru that bulkhead and next haul out , fix the
            seacock with maintenance. Than use the scrap hole
            piece as a plug, Some inside trim to screw to and
            bingo.
            Has any one done this ? What are the aprox dimensions
            of your access port.
            Now I flush all into my tank all the time and
            macerate out 3 miles, so this is not critical for me
            now. But since it limits my choices I would like a
            plan of action . Thank you jack / FLA

            How large was your

            http://mail.yahoo.com
          • Barry Wilson
            Message 5 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007
              I wouldn't cut a hole just yet.  I had a similar situation on my 28 when I bought it and was able to free the thru hull.

              I assume your boat is still in the water because you are in FL.  That make this a little trickier because you can't pour a lot of PB Blaster into the fitting.  A little bit won't hurt.  Let that sit for a day or so.  A few raps on the thru hull to help it penetrate won't hurt.

              Next remove the handle from the thru hull and get a big wrench on the squared plug end.  I recommend removing the handle because you may have to pull on it hard enough to bend the prong of the handle.  I know I did before I removed it.  A big wrench has more purchase too.  By big I mean 12" to 16" pipe wrench.

              Then apply pressure to the wrench and gently heat the outside of the thru hull.  Nothing intense.  I used a propane torch dialed back and just passed it back and forth around the outside of the housing.  A heat gun would be better (safer).  The idea is to heat the housing without heating the taper.   Obviously intense heat will conduct right through to the taper.  It only took a few passes and the taper popped free.  I used this same logic to remove an obstinate propeller once.

              This did require some acrobatics and my skinny13 year old as an assistant.  However, if you were able to get the hose off, then you should be able to do this too.

              With respect to an access port, I tried removing the bulkhead when wrestling with the thru hull.  It was fit in so tight I couldn't get it out without marring all the wood around it.  I think it might be enough to cut a nice clean uniform hole without removing the head.  Of course once done, you could easily get to the through hull to open or close.

              --- Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@ earthlink. net> wrote:

              > Sounds good Ed,
              > Our only reason for choosing the Exumas is that we
              > haven't been yet. We love the Abacos and Eleuthera,
              > but want to try something new. We're a little bit
              > of novelty and adventure junkies. It's very likely
              > we'll come back via the Abacos in the spring.
              > Bill Blalock & Susan MacLaughlin, Surfer Girl
              > mookiesurfs@ earthlink. net

              Do You Yahoo!?
              http://mail. yahoo.com

              http://mail.yahoo.com

            • Mike Sims
              Message 6 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007
                Hey Jack,
                I had a 1979 Sabre 28. I had the same problem. As I recalled you
                should be able to remove the panel behind the head.. There are some
                concealed screws and small nails that should help you to remove the
                panel. I replaced most of my seacocks,with groco seacocks. I did
                this after many cleanings of the old original seacocks and finding
                them frozen after a week after being launched in the Spring.
                Especially the head seacock The groco seacocks screws on perfectly
                onto the existing thru hull.
                Mike
                86 S34 Altomar II #432

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, jack horner <captbluwater@...>

                Message 7 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007
                  Thanks MIKE, I have a renewed sense of the project.
                  Sounds like get unstuck now and replace at haul out !
                  I'm in the water 12 months a year only out every 2-3
                  years for bottom paint....jack

                  http://mail.yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007
                    Depending upon how smooth your bottom is, you could stick a toliet plunger on the outside of the throughhull and do a complete disasembly of the unit while in the water.

                    Or cut a bung to fit it (you will need to notch it fo the ears that keep it from turning during assembl) and drive that in. before putting some electrical putty around the edge for a complete seal.  When done, install the lower section of the hose, open the seacock, and then drive out the bung from the inside out with a broom handle.

                    When you have it waterproof, the idea of pentrating oil from the top is good. Myself, I would remove the locknut, loosen the main nut 2-3 turns, and then heat the housing while banging with a deadblow hammer (Plastic hammer with lead shot in the middle). If you don't have one, use a hockeypuck against the threads while banging with a 2 lb sledgehammer.  the housing is tapered and will let go, but because you left the nut on, it cannot fly out the hole.  When apart, rebuild with factory kit, or polish inside with 400 & 800 grit sandpaper (barrel and housing insides) before cleaning and applying waterproof grease (I like boat trailer grease as it seems to last the longest).

                    Heat, pentrating oil, hammering and patience will usually triumph in such an endevour.

                    I have the small fittings to allow the installation of zerk fittings so one can grease without tearing them apart.  I don't trust removing them for fear of stripping the threads, so I rebuild every year.

                    Making up a set of bungs with lines attached to the boat would allow you to do all them in 1 session and only need to dive the boat once to install.

                    --- Mike Sims <sailsabre34@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                    > Hey Jack,
                    > I had a 1979 Sabre 28. I had the same problem. As
                    > I recalled you
                    > should be able to remove the panel behind the head..
                    > There are some
                    > concealed screws and small nails that should help
                    > you to remove the
                    > panel. I replaced most of my seacocks,with groco
                    > seacocks. I did
                    > this after many cleanings of the old original
                    > seacocks and finding
                    > them frozen after a week after being launched in the
                    > Spring.
                    > Especially the head seacock The groco seacocks
                    > screws on perfectly
                    > onto the existing thru hull.
                    > Mike
                    > 86 S34 Altomar II #432
                    >

                    > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, jack horner
                    > <captbluwater@ ...>
                    > wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Guys , I removed the old black hose from head to
                    > the
                    > > thrill hull. Head discharge. All new white 1 1/2
                    > in
                    > > marine hose. BUT , there is always a but. The
                    > thru
                    > > hull seacock is frozen in the closed position.
                    > Just
                    > > won't budge. Now the 28 has that bulkhead behind
                    > the
                    > > head and of course the thru hull is exactly on the
                    > > have trouble bending my Rt knee due to a total
                    > knee
                    > > replacement last year.
                    > > So I think I can remove the head cut a access hole
                    > > thru that bulkhead and next haul out , fix the
                    > > seacock with maintenance. Than use the scrap hole
                    > > piece as a plug, Some inside trim to screw to and
                    > > bingo.
                    > > Has any one done this ? What are the aprox
                    > dimensions
                    > > of your access port.
                    > > Now I flush all into my tank all the time and
                    > > macerate out 3 miles, so this is not critical for
                    > me
                    > > now. But since it limits my choices I would like a
                    > > plan of action . Thank you jack / FLA
                    > >

                    > > How large was your
                    > > --- Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@ ...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > > Sounds good Ed,
                    > > > Our only reason for choosing the Exumas is that
                    > we
                    > > > haven't been yet. We love the Abacos and
                    > Eleuthera,
                    > > > but want to try something new. We're a little
                    > bit
                    > > > of novelty and adventure junkies. It's very
                    > likely
                    > > > we'll come back via the Abacos in the spring.
                    > > > Bill Blalock & Susan MacLaughlin, Surfer Girl
                    > > > mookiesurfs@ ...

                    Do You Yahoo!?
                    http://mail. yahoo.com

                    http://mail.yahoo.com

                  • Carter Brey
                    Message 9 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007
                      Jack,

                      My head discharge seacock was frozen in the open position when I started work on my 28. I removed the nut and washer and sprayed the crap out of it was PB Blaster for at least a couple of days. Then I got a block of wood onto the end of the threads and gently but insistently pounded with a hammer. The plug saw the light and released its tenacious green grip.

                      I did all this while kneeling with knee pads on the toilet. If you can bend your bad knee enough to do this, you should be okay.

                      Best,
                      Carter Brey
                      S28 MkII #532 "Delphine"
                      City Island, NY
                      (Where it's a great sailing day)

                      Subj: Re: [SabreSailboat] Sabre 28 HELP !
                      Date: Sun Jan 7, 2007 8:16 am
                      Size: 4K
                      To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com

                      Message 10 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007
                        I suggest any of you DIYers get a set of interlocking rubber pads from a dept store. They can be had in black to use under a treadmill, or in pretty colors for kiddies to play on. They are 18"x18"x1".

                        You can put 1 or 2 in the stern compartments to keep noise down. But what they are really for is when you work on the boat. You set them down and they work WAAAY better than kneepads and there is no chance of scuffing the sole varnish. They are also really nice when working your way down the deck putting on the nth coat of varnish to the eyebrow and handrails.
                        In winter, they keep your backside warm on the cold glass seats (I pull my cushions for the dry climate of home). Cost about $15 for 6 of them.

                        Waterproof, wipes with a damp rag, does not slide around.
                        Doesn't make the seacocks work better, but it least the job is not as difficult on the knees. The rest of a package I keep at home. While doing brick walks, working on the furance etc, they are knee savers.

                        Date: Sun Jan 7, 2007 8:16 am
                        Size: 4K
                        To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com

                        Guys , I removed the old black hose from head to the
                        thrill hull. Head discharge. All new white 1 1/2 in
                        marine hose. BUT , there is always a but. The thru
                        hull seacock is frozen in the closed position. Just
                        won't budge. Now the 28 has that bulkhead behind the
                        head and of course the thru hull is exactly on the I
                        have trouble bending my Rt knee due to a total knee
                        replacement last year.
                        So I think I can remove the head cut a access hole
                        thru that bulkhead and next haul out , fix the
                        seacock with maintenance. Than use the scrap hole
                        piece as a plug, Some inside trim to screw to and
                        bingo.
                        Has any one done this ? What are the aprox dimensions
                        of your access port.
                        Now I flush all into my tank all the time and
                        macerate out 3 miles, so this is not critical for me
                        now. But since it limits my choices I would like a
                        plan of action . Thank you jack / FLA

                        How large was your
                        --- Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@ earthlink. net> wrote:

                        > Sounds good Ed,
                        > Our only reason for choosing the Exumas is that we
                        > haven't been yet. We love the Abacos and Eleuthera,
                        > but want to try something new. We're a little bit
                        > of novelty and adventure junkies. It's very likely
                        > we'll come back via the Abacos in the spring.
                        > Bill Blalock & Susan MacLaughlin, Surfer Girl
                        > mookiesurfs@ earthlink. net

                        Do You Yahoo!?
                        http://mail. yahoo.com

                        Yahoo! Groups Links

                        http://mail.yahoo.com

                        Message 11 of 18 , Jan 7, 2007

                          Jack –

                          If you can heat the seacock, put turning pressure on it while tapping the back with a soft hammer, it will give it up sooner.  Now doing all that while kneeling on the toilet and bending over sounds like a demented dexterity test, but would be really fun to watch J

                          Pete

                          Date: Sun Jan 7, 2007 8:16 am
                          Size: 4K
                          To: Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com

                          Guys , I removed the old black hose from head to the
                          thrill hull. Head discharge. All new white 1 1/2 in
                          marine hose. BUT , there is always a but. The thru
                          hull seacock is frozen in the closed position. Just
                          won't budge. Now the 28 has that bulkhead behind the
                          head and of course the thru hull is exactly on the I
                          have trouble bending my Rt knee due to a total knee
                          replacement last year.
                          So I think I can remove the head cut a access hole
                          thru that bulkhead and next haul out , fix the
                          seacock with maintenance. Than use the scrap hole
                          piece as a plug, Some inside trim to screw to and
                          bingo.
                          Has any one done this ? What are the aprox dimensions
                          of your access port.
                          Now I flush all into my tank all the time and
                          macerate out 3 miles, so this is not critical for me
                          now. But since it limits my choices I would like a
                          plan of action . Thank you jack / FLA

                          How large was your
                          --- Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@ earthlink. net> wrote:

                          > Sounds good Ed,
                          > Our only reason for choosing the Exumas is that we
                          > haven't been yet. We love the Abacos and Eleuthera,
                          > but want to try something new. We're a little bit
                          > of novelty and adventure junkies. It's very likely
                          > we'll come back via the Abacos in the spring.
                          > Bill Blalock & Susan MacLaughlin, Surfer Girl
                          > mookiesurfs@ earthlink. net

                          Do You Yahoo!?
                          http://mail. yahoo.com

                          Yahoo! Groups Links

                          Do You Yahoo!?
                          http://mail. yahoo.com

                        • Carter Brey
                          Message 12 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                            Peter Tollini wrote:

                             Now doing all that while kneeling on the toilet ...would be really fun to watch J

                            That's okay, Pete; your secret's safe with us.

                            Message 13 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                              Carter -
                              I've been the subject of enough ridicule for things like getting stuck upside down in an engine compartment, emerging from the lazarette of an "unoccupied" boat, inadvertently straddling the aft lower on a bosun's chair descent, dropping my wallet and immediately spilling diesel fuel on it, called "Norton" for repeatedly scurrying down the dock with old black sewage hoses, etc.,  that I'll seize any chance to laugh at someone in a similar situation.   The Germans even have a word for it - schadenfreude: taking pleasure in the misfortunes of others.  But for me at least, it's all in good spirits.
                              However, I've done two on-the-water rescues, both precipitated by acts of astounding stupidity on the part of the rescuees.  Even so, I couldn't find it in me to laugh at them. Getting their soggy and cold, but live, butts over the side was good enough, even if it was interfering with evolution :)
                              Pete

                              Message 14 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                                Of course, Pete, I'm just pulling your leg. Anyone who wants to maintain
                                a boat and their dignity simultaneously is dreaming.

                                CB

                                Message 15 of 18 , Jan 8, 2007
                                  Hey, it looked like a perfect opportunity for someone else to be the butt of humor.  Ouch!  Sorry, but it was just out there. Damn! I did it again didn't I?  I guess I better quit while I'm a head....

                                  Peter Tollini wrote:
                                  > Carter -
                                  > I've been the subject of enough ridicule for things like getting stuck
                                  > upside down in an engine compartment, emerging from the lazarette of
                                  > an "unoccupied" boat, inadvertently straddling the aft lower on a
                                  > bosun's chair descent, dropping my wallet and immediately spilling
                                  > diesel fuel on it, called "Norton" for repeatedly scurrying down the
                                  > dock with old black sewage hoses, etc., that I'll seize any chance to
                                  > laugh at someone in a similar situation. The Germans even have a
                                  > word for it - schadenfreude: taking pleasure in the misfortunes of
                                  > others. But for me at least, it's all in good spirits.
                                  > However, I've done two on-the-water rescues, both precipitated by acts
                                  > of astounding stupidity on the part of the rescuees. Even so, I
                                  > couldn't find it in me to laugh at them. Getting their soggy and cold,
                                  > but live, butts over the side was good enough, even if it was
                                  > interfering with evolution :)

                                • Bill B
                                  Message 16 of 18 , Jan 9, 2007
                                    SS zerks work great.  Tap the little screw holes on the sides of the bronze Spartan seacocks out to #12 or maybe 1/4", and screw in ss zerks.  They work like a charm, especially if the boat stays in the water for two years at a stretch.  If you can close the seacock you can do the job with the boat in the water.  Afterwards, if you start to get a drip from a seacock you can tighten it or give it a squirt of grease through the zerk, and the drip disappears.  If it is an often used seacock, replacing it with a Groco is something you'll be glad you did.
                                    Bill B

                                    jack horner <captbluwater@ yahoo.com> wrote:
                                    Thanks MIKE, I have a renewed sense of the project.
                                    Sounds like get unstuck now and replace at haul out !
                                    I'm in the water 12 months a year only out every 2-3
                                    years for bottom paint....jack
                                    --- Mike Sims <sailsabre34@ yahoo.com> wrote:

                                    > Hey Jack,
                                    > I had a 1979 Sabre 28. I had the same problem. As
                                    > I recalled you
                                    > should be able to remove the panel behind the head..
                                    > There are some
                                    > concealed screws and small nails that should help
                                    > you to remove the
                                    > panel. I replaced most of my seacocks,with groco
                                    > seacocks. I did
                                    > this after many cleanings of the old original
                                    > seacocks and finding
                                    > them frozen after a week after being launched in the
                                    > Spring.
                                    > Especially the head seacock The groco seacocks
                                    > screws on perfectly
                                    > onto the existing thru hull.
                                    > Mike
                                    > 86 S34 Altomar II #432
                                    >

                                    > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, jack horner
                                    > <captbluwater@ ...>
                                    > wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > Guys , I removed the old black hose from head to
                                    > the
                                    > > thrill hull. Head discharge. All new white 1 1/2
                                    > in
                                    > > marine hose. BUT , there is always a but. The
                                    > thru
                                    > > hull seacock is frozen in the closed position.
                                    > Just
                                    > > won't budge. Now the 28 has that bulkhead behind
                                    > the
                                    > > head and of course the thru hull is exactly on the
                                    > > have trouble bending my Rt knee due to a total
                                    > knee
                                    > > replacement last year.
                                    > > So I think I can remove the head cut a access hole
                                    > > thru that bulkhead and next haul out , fix the
                                    > > seacock with maintenance. Than use the scrap hole
                                    > > piece as a plug, Some inside trim to screw to and
                                    > > bingo.
                                    > > Has any one done this ? What are the aprox
                                    > dimensions
                                    > > of your access port.
                                    > > Now I flush all into my tank all the time and
                                    > > macerate out 3 miles, so this is not critical for
                                    > me
                                    > > now. But since it limits my choices I would like a
                                    > > plan of action . Thank you jack / FLA
                                    > >

                                    > > How large was your
                                    > > --- Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@ ...> wrote:
                                    > >
                                    > > > Sounds good Ed,
                                    > > > Our only reason for choosing the Exumas is that
                                    > we
                                    > > > haven't been yet. We love the Abacos and
                                    > Eleuthera,
                                    > > > but want to try something new. We're a little
                                    > bit
                                    > > > of novelty and adventure junkies. It's very
                                    > likely
                                    > > > we'll come back via the Abacos in the spring.
                                    > > > Bill Blalock & Susan MacLaughlin, Surfer Girl
                                    > > > mookiesurfs@ ...

                                    Do You Yahoo!?
                                    http://mail. yahoo.com

                                    Do You Yahoo!?