RE: [Sabresailboat] Sabre 32 Gooseneck

    Message 1 of 34 , Nov 1, 2005

      Grant-

      What about adding a Cunningham?  You may have, or can easily add a grommet about a foot above the clew.  Hook a short line to one of the reefing horns, run it up through the grommet and connect a 4:1 vang tackle between the other end and the mast collar. That should smooth the luff. If the wind pipes up and the wrinkles return, give it a little more tension. I’m surprised Dave didn’t recommend one.

      Pete

      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 1, 2005
        I have tried seeing the arrangement as best I can on the jpeg and I am sure my observations are not very bright.
        However it appears the bottom ring of the sail is secured to the reef fitting?  On my 34 the same ring is secured by a horizontal bolt below the reef fitting, thus the sail is secured correspondingly lower.
        I also have had to release the bolt rope and reset it.
        Since then I found a cunningham unnecessary.
        That will change in time of course
        Graham S34 Fearless

        Grant Woodside <gewoodsiii@...> wrote:
        David Flynn,

        Thank you for visiting the Eliza D a couple of weeks
        ago. You looked at issues with the North main and
        wrinkles in the luff. You noticed that the foot at the
        luff was being pulled up and recommended raising the
        tack cringle to pull it down.

        In the following picture, you will see the same
        problem of the tack too high and more pronounced. This
        is a sail that you made which is also on a Sabre 32.

        http://spirit.the-millers.org/SailControls.jpg

        We have been discussing this problem and have a few
        possible solutions.

        1) Your solution of raising the tack cringle on the
        sail.

        2) Replace the shackle with a smaller one. I can't
        find a smaller shackle that will fit the gooseneck.

        3) Add a Cunningham to pull the luff tighter; however,
        in my opinion, this doesn't really fix the problem of
        the tack too high.

        Do you still think raising the tack cringle is the
        best solution? What went wrong in the picture of the
        sail you built?

        Grant Woodside
        S32 #3 1984 Eliza D
        301-537-0347