rudder repair - bottom

  • Bill Blalock
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
      Sid,
      There weren't any blisters evident at haulout or survey, so the old bottom paint was removed by scraping and sanding in order to preserve the apparently good gelcoat and laminate. It was then washed and sanded several times, followed by five coats of Interlux 2000e barrier coat and two coats of the hard Trinidad SR antifouling.

      However, during the excessively intimate association with the bottom that comes from scraping, about half a dozen blisters were found - meaning that all that effort to protect the gelcoat and first layer of laminate was for naught.  No big deal, but it reflects on your situation.  If you have a really poor bottom, you may or may not have blisters under all that old paint and barnacles.  If there is any chance of blisters, just get the old paint off in the easiest way possible since you'll fix the bottom with with barrier coat and touch up epoxy anyway.  Then, roll on a few coats of barrier coat and bottom paint, and don't worry too much about the gelcoat.  Soda blasting is a good option if you can get it, chemical strippers work for some bottoms, sandblasting is an option if you're going to fix blisters and barrier coat anyway.
      Bill B
    • kd3pc1
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006
        Bill

        I read the list via the web, and the photos are not stored...would you
        be so kind as to send the photos to me? I have a 38 and am always
        looking for information...

        kd3pc at cox.net will work.

        thanks

        dave

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Blalock" <mookiesurfs@...>
        wrote:

        > Sid,
        > There weren't any blisters evident at haulout or survey, so the old
        bottom paint was removed by scraping and sanding in order to preserve
        the apparently good gelcoat and laminate. It was then washed and
        sanded several times, followed by five coats of Interlux 2000e barrier
        coat and two coats of the hard Trinidad SR antifouling.

        > However, during the excessively intimate association with the bottom
        that comes from scraping, about half a dozen blisters were found -
        meaning that all that effort to protect the gelcoat and first layer of
        laminate was for naught. No big deal, but it reflects on your
        situation. If you have a really poor bottom, you may or may not have
        blisters under all that old paint and barnacles. If there is any
        chance of blisters, just get the old paint off in the easiest way
        possible since you'll fix the bottom with with barrier coat and touch
        up epoxy anyway. Then, roll on a few coats of barrier coat and bottom
        paint, and don't worry too much about the gelcoat. Soda blasting is a
        good option if you can get it, chemical strippers work for some
        bottoms, sandblasting is an option if you're going to fix blisters and
        barrier coat anyway.
        > Bill B

      • yaf001
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 3, 2006

          Dave, your ham call reminded me to ask the group here if anybody afloat has been making use of the new 60 meter band (which is channelized)

          A few of us have rigs that either work 60 meters, or have converted them to do so – could be interesting afloat for keeping skeds at off hours –

          73

          Yves

          W1UX