Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Clean prop, strut and shaft!!

    Message 1 of 6 , Nov 30, 2006
      Eric  -
      Last year Hartge's used the Pettit gray zinc paint on the prop & shaft  By August I was over the side, taking barnacles off the prop with a putty knife.  The Interlux guy at the boat show says that bronze stuff needs to be isolated from antifouling paint, so I think the prep makes a bigger difference than the actual paint.  I just used the Trilux in the aerosol can for outdrives, but the metal was primed & barrier coated first.
      Also you and Dick are right on the money with "RTFI"  It's a variation of the labor relations term, "RTFC," C being Contract.
      Pete

      On 11/30/06, Eric <sabre30_36@...> wrote:

      I used the zinc paint on the prop and had the least amount of hard
      growth I have had in years - no barnacles remained. Or maybe we just
      had a light marine growth year at Hartge's . . .

      Also, I think this was the first full year she was in the water since
      I installed the galvanic isolator. I had more of my shaft zincs left
      than I have had in prior years. And she was plugged into shore power
      alot since I bought the new battery charger this year.

      Eric
      Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
      West River, MD

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Tollini" <pete@...> wrote:

      > Solace came out yesterday, so I cruised by this AM to make sure the
      bottom
      > work I did last spring held up. Other than a dirt stripe around the
      > waterline and a bare spot on the bottom leading edge of the keel
      (Hey! it's
      > the Bay, everyone finds the bottom) it looks as good as when it went
      in. I
      > was particularly pleased that the metal parts were almost completely
      clean,
      > even the Martec prop. I did the full Interlux reccommendation -
      Vinylux