Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Stainless Ports

  • David Evans
    Message 1 of 34 , Oct 31, 2006
      Marty,
      Thanks for plunging in. Always someone's got to go in first. Keep us
      informed! Photos! Details! What and whats not.
      Having not been there myself on any boat, can offer no advice but the
      usual: take your time.
      Who wants to give a try with NFM?
      dge

      > I'm about ready to take the plunge and order ss angled
      > spigot 4x14 ports from Mariners Hardware (MH)to
      > replace the infamous Beckson 414 plastic ports in the
      > front of my 38-II.
      >
      > On paper, it looks like a reasonably good fit with the
      > 4-1/4" x 14-1/4" MH cutout slightly smaller than the
      > 4-5/8" x 14-1/2 Beckson cutout. I realize that I may
      > have to grind the lower outside and upper inside edges
      > of the deck opening, and also bend a custom 1/2" thin
      > ss trim ring around the outside of the port.
      >
      > Any words of wisdom would be appreciated from backseat
      > drivers or those that they been there and done that
      > (or decided not to do that)?
      >
      > Marty
    • m landis
      Message 34 of 34 , Nov 1, 2006
        Bill

        The only thing I can add to Pete's fine explanation is
        that MH is willing to completely customize its ports.
        You can selectively change any dimension, for
        example, by 1/8" or 1/4". That should make
        installation relatively easy once we figure out, by
        trial and error, what the correct dimensions should
        be!!

        Marty