inexpensive antifreeze

  • Gib Metcalf
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
      in past years I've bought antifreeze at KMart. This year they don't
      have it. Any suggestions for places to get inexpensive antifreeze? WM
      is pricey.
      Gib Metcalf
      Troubadour S28-446
      Salem, MA
    • David Evans
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
        Wal-mart is 3.49.
        > in past years I've bought antifreeze at KMart. This year they don't
        > have it. Any suggestions for places to get inexpensive antifreeze? WM
        > is pricey.
        > Gib Metcalf
        > Troubadour S28-446
        > Salem, MA

      • Gib Metcalf
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
          great. thx.

          Wal-mart is 3.49.

          --
          Gib Metcalf

          Please change my email address to gib@...
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
            David Evans wrote:
            > Wal-mart is 3.49.
            >
            >> in past years I've bought antifreeze at KMart. This year they don't
            >> have it. Any suggestions for places to get inexpensive antifreeze? WM
            >> is pricey.

            The cheapest antifreeze is ethylene glycol. It is effective, but almost
            extremely poisonous. You may have noticed in today's New York Times,
            for example, 21 people died in Panama when someone substituted ethylene
            glycol for propylene glycol in a batch of cough syrup. The problem
            with using it in boats is that it invariably spills when working in the
            boat yard during spring maintenance. Animals, particularly pets, are
            attracted to its sweet taste and lap it up. Then then die a horrible death.

            Spend a couple of extra bucks for the red stuff. It's just as good and
            won't poison someone's dog.

            --

            Jim Starkey, Senior Software Architect
            MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
              Message
              I bought some at K-Mart in Maryland yesterday for 3.79.

              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
                Think he wanted the pink water system stuff, not real coolant.

                > David Evans wrote:
                >> Wal-mart is 3.49.
                >>
                >>> in past years I've bought antifreeze at KMart. This year they don't
                >>> have it. Any suggestions for places to get inexpensive antifreeze? WM
                >>> is pricey.
                >>>

                > The cheapest antifreeze is ethylene glycol. It is effective, but almost
                > extremely poisonous. You may have noticed in today's New York Times,
                > for example, 21 people died in Panama when someone substituted ethylene
                > glycol for propylene glycol in a batch of cough syrup. The problem
                > with using it in boats is that it invariably spills when working in the
                > boat yard during spring maintenance. Animals, particularly pets, are
                > attracted to its sweet taste and lap it up. Then then die a horrible
                > death.
                >
                > Spend a couple of extra bucks for the red stuff. It's just as good and
                > won't poison someone's dog.
                >
                > --
                >
                > Jim Starkey, Senior Software Architect
                > MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
                > 978 526-1376

              • gmuller22
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006

                  --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:

                  > David Evans wrote:
                  > > Wal-mart is 3.49.
                  > >
                  > >> in past years I've bought antifreeze at KMart. This year they don't
                  > >> have it. Any suggestions for places to get inexpensive antifreeze? WM
                  > >> is pricey.
                  > >>

                  > The cheapest antifreeze is ethylene glycol. It is effective, but almost
                  > extremely poisonous. You may have noticed in today's New York Times,
                  > for example, 21 people died in Panama when someone substituted ethylene
                  > glycol for propylene glycol in a batch of cough syrup. The problem
                  > with using it in boats is that it invariably spills when working in the
                  > boat yard during spring maintenance. Animals, particularly pets, are
                  > attracted to its sweet taste and lap it up. Then then die a horrible death.
                  >
                  > Spend a couple of extra bucks for the red stuff. It's just as good and
                  > won't poison someone's dog.
                  >
                  > --
                  >
                  > Jim Starkey, Senior Software Architect
                  > MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
                  > 978 526-1376

                  Jim,

                  The propylene glycol used as engine anti-freeze does not necessarily come as the "red stuff". The propylene glycol I used as engine anti-freeze was light green (labelelled as Uni-Gard). The stuff for the water tanks was the usual "red stuff". Both were clearly marked as propylene Glycol based.

                  You might also be interested to know how one dies from ingesting ethylene glycol since it comes up so often in conversation. Apparently when ethylene glycol is metabolized in your muscles it produces oxalic acid which is typically used for cleaning the mung that forms on glass (it's the active ingredient in "Barkeeper's Friend"). Propylene glycol, on the other hand, when it metabolizes produces lactic acid (as produced by some milk products). This is not to suggest that if you run out of Grenadine Syrup that Propylene Glycol is a proper replacement, even though after being mixed with vodka many would hardly notice the difference.

                  One  other thing, it's nice to see that folks in the Boston area read the New York Times in view of the fact that no one in these parts reads Boston papers.

                  Gerard

                • Gib Metcalf
                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
                    that's right.  I always buy the cheap, but environmentally friendly stuff.
                    Gib

                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
                      gmuller22 wrote:

                      > One other thing, it's nice to see that folks in the Boston area read
                      > the New York Times in view of the fact that no one in these parts
                      > reads Boston papers.

                      I'm afraid you don't know what you're missing: Doonebury, Zippy, For
                      Better or Worse, and many other fine comics. You New York guys take
                      life entirely too seriously. If you want news, read the New York
                      Times. If you want comic strips, take the Globe.

                      On an unrelated topic, the going rate for Awlgrip up here is about $180
                      foot for a non-problem hull.

                      --

                      Jim Starkey, Senior Software Architect
                      MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
                      978 526-1376
                    • yaf001
                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006

                        Here in SE CT , we read BOTH the NY papers and the Bahstin rags.

                        How many people know that Mr. Doonesbury lives on one of the Thimble Islands off Stony Creek? A rocky anchorage J

                        I don’t know the going rates for either antifreeze or awlgrip. My butler takes care of all those details with the boatyard.

                        Y.

                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 16, 2006
                          I got the $3.49 polypro at wally world. Good to -50.
                          Best price around (west wanted 4.99).

                          I have not used ethyline gycole in years.
                          - only good for 2-3 years instead of 5+ for poly pro.
                          - will kill animals where poly pro will not.

                          Talking to Westerbeke, if you use poly proplyene , you seal system is good for 5+ years without a hassle.  Make swapping coincide with hose replacement.

                          gmuller22 <gmuller22@...> wrote:

                          --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:

                          > David Evans wrote:
                          > > Wal-mart is 3.49.
                          > >
                          > >> in past years I've bought antifreeze at KMart. This year they don't
                          > >> have it. Any suggestions for places to get inexpensive antifreeze? WM
                          > >> is pricey.
                          > >>

                          > The cheapest antifreeze is ethylene glycol. It is effective, but almost
                          > extremely poisonous. You may have noticed in today's New York Times,
                          > for example, 21 people died in Panama when someone substituted ethylene
                          > glycol for propylene glycol in a batch of cough syrup. The problem
                          > with using it in boats is that it invariably spills when working in the
                          > boat yard during spring maintenance. Animals, particularly pets, are
                          > attracted to its sweet taste and lap it up. Then then die a horrible death.
                          >
                          > Spend a couple of extra bucks for the red stuff. It's just as good and
                          > won't poison someone's dog.
                          >
                          > --
                          >
                          > Jim Starkey, Senior Software Architect
                          > MySQL AB, www.mysql.com
                          > 978 526-1376

                          Jim,
                          The propylene glycol used as engine anti-freeze does not necessarily come as the "red stuff". The propylene glycol I used as engine anti-freeze was light green (labelelled as Uni-Gard). The stuff for the water tanks was the usual "red stuff". Both were clearly marked as propylene Glycol based.
                          You might also be interested to know how one dies from ingesting ethylene glycol since it comes up so often in conversation. Apparently when ethylene glycol is metabolized in your muscles it produces oxalic acid which is typically used for cleaning the mung that forms on glass (it's the active ingredient in "Barkeeper's Friend"). Propylene glycol, on the other hand, when it metabolizes produces lactic acid (as produced by some milk products). This is not to suggest that if you run out of Grenadine Syrup that Propylene Glycol is a proper replacement, even though after being mixed with vodka many would hardly notice the difference.
                          One  other thing, it's nice to see that folks in the Boston area read the New York Times in view of the fact that no one in these parts reads Boston papers.
                          Gerard

                          Do you Yahoo!?