Re: W27A Diverter to Water Heater

  • followingsea2001
    Message 1 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
      George,
      I presume you also have the 27A.
      If you go to Marine Diesel Direct's diagram:
      http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catalogs/catalog_group.php?
      owner=mdd&catalog=32139&model=W%2013/18/21/27/33%20Propulsion%
      204.4/6/7.7/8/11/12.5%20KW&page_ident=32139-254-
      255&manufacturer=Westerbeke&title=18-21A-27A-33A%20Cooling%
      20System&size=800
      you can see the 24304 connects the manifold and the water heater
      flow divereter.
      I have not got my hoses yet, just ordered them a few days ago.The
      old 24304 hose is very short but does a complex twist. It goes down,
      turns towards the engine and then turns again towards the heat
      exchanger.
      No experience yet with changing the exhaust water indjection elbow.
      At any rate, mine is not orignial equipment.
      Martin

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "George Hollendursky" <Sabre-
      36@a...> wrote:

      > I am in the process of replacing all my hoses on my Sabre 36 1986
      after 19
      > years. I have ordered the preformed hoses. Due to be in stock on
      Monday. I

      Message 2 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
        Thanks Peter,

        I was thinking the metal strip was temperature sensitive and would
        divert less water at higher temps. Now that I know its strictly
        mechanical , I will clean it up and put it back in when I get he new
        hoses. engine temperature has been 180-185 but the pressure relief
        valve blows off consistently.
        So I will also change our the water heater's pressure relief valve
        at the same time.

        Martin
        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@t...>
        wrote:

        > Westerbeke bills it as an automatic "Flow Controller". It
        normally routes
        > water through the water heater, but at higher RPMs and greater
        flow, if the
        > pressure upstream increases, the "V" flexes and allows water to
        bypass the
        > water heater to equalize pressure automatically. If it wasn't
        working
        > properly, the likely consequence would be a rise in engine temp,
        not water
        > heater temp.
        > As far as the water heater blowing off, if your engine is
        runnining at
        > 180-185, the water heater can't get any hotter, but that's still
        really hot
        > for domestic water. It's most likely the 18 year old
        temp/pressure relief
        > on the heater is getting tired and/or fouled with mineral scale.
        When you
        > are on shore power, the water should only get to 135-140 max and
        the valve
        > stays closed. Good news, it's a standard $10 Home Depot water
        heater
        > relief valve - just match the threads and the temp & pressure
        ratings.
        > Pete
        >
        > On 12/2/05, followingsea2001 <mnthomas@e...> wrote:
        > >
        > > We are in the process of replacing all the cooling system hose
        on our
        > > W27A. It's time as they are 18 years old!
        > > In the run between the manifold and the heat exchanger is an
        aluminum
        > > pipe fitting that diverts water to the water heater. Its a
        straight
        > > pipe with two hose nipples (to water heater and from water
        heater)
        > > coming off midway. In the pipe is a strip of light gage sheet
        metal
        > > bent into a V and insterted with the bottom of the V facing the
        flow
        > > coming from the manifold. In its normal position, the V blocks
        the
        > > tube so that the flow goes through the water heater. However, it
        > > appears that under certain conditions the V could become a
        narrower V
        > > and allow coolant to pass straight through and by-pass the water
        > > heater. I boiled the tube to see if the V changed and opened
        > > (nnarrowed) but there was no visible change. I am interested
        because
        > > we are having problems with the water heater blowing off through
        the
        > > pressure relief valve, presumably due to excess heat. While
        replacing
        > > the relief valve might work, it also may be that the aluminum
        pipe
        > > fitting has failed after 18 yeares.
        > > Anywone know how his aluminum pipe "valve" is supposed to
        operate?

        t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boat
        ing&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>
        > > Sailing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&
        s=58&.sig=wzVbuCeWS6rfwNSNQG88GQ>
        > > Sabre<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Sabre&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=
        58&.sig=W3KiWfigfLLZ2gbZfKCuTg>
        > > Boating<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Boating&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&
        s=58&.sig=sDRozAmistjFHj52YmngBQ>

        > > ------------------------------

      • workshoe99
        Message 3 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
          Speaking of damged boats, I was recently checking Yacht World and
          there is somewhere (can't remember where) in Maine a S28 that has
          been badly damaged but might be useful for parts. The mast was not
          on her when she came off her mooring in a blow so that's probably
          immediately useable. The pictures show a badly beaten up boat. You
          just say to yourself that you hope yours never looks like this. It
          appears they would take an offer different from asking which is $2K.

          Shoe

          Message 4 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
            Message
            George:

            I'm not sure I'd buy used exhaust risers on eBay, but there's almost always something available, although not necessarily what you need when you need it.  I recently replaced just the alarm buzzer on a Yanmar panel for $170 from Torresen.  A week later, a used panel sold on eBay for about $200.  Sometimes used engines go for the value of a few of their parts.

            Al Lorman

[...]

            =00

            IRS CIRCULAR 230 NOTICE. Any advice expressed above as to tax matters was neither written nor intended by the sender or Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP to be used and cannot be used by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed under U.S. tax law. If any person uses or refers to any such tax advice in promoting, marketing or recommending a partnership or other entity, investment plan or arrangement to any taxpayer, then (i) the advice was written to support the promotion or marketing (by a person other than Mayer, Brown, Rowe & Maw LLP) of that transaction or matter, and (ii) such taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayers particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor

            This email and any files transmitted with it are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify the system manager. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail.
          • Tom & Rose
            Message 5 of 13 , Dec 2, 2005
              George,

              I'm not sure I completely followed your problem correctly, but I hand built a new exhaust out of 1 1/4" galvanized pipe from the engine manifold to the hose connection using parts available from ACE hardware in Rock Hall.  I used high temp thread sealant on the threads.  This was pretty simple, very cheap and the pipe is at least as thick as the stuff that came from Volvo.  It has been in for 2 seasons now with no problems.

              Tom
              1980 Sabre 30   #12
              "Imagination"
              Chesapeake Bay (MD)

[...]

            • George Hollendursky
              Message 6 of 13 , Dec 13, 2005
                Tom,
                I thought about doing what you did. Not sure why I didn't.
                How did you connect the small sea water hose to the 1 1/4" pipe?
                What sealant did you use? There are several that seem to fill the bill in West Marine catalog.
                My tombstone shaped exhaust riser arrived today.
                After I get the rest of the engine hoses, I will drain the antifreeze, check the heat exchanger and reassemble it all.

                Thanks

                Message 7 of 13 , Dec 14, 2005
                  George,

                  I put a 1 1/4" tee in the line, a 1 1/4" x 1/2" reducer, a 1/2" street 45 ° elbow, a close nipple, another 45° and a short nipple to which I connected the water hose to.  Attached is the best photo I have of this connection.  The original connection failed right at the weld where they cut in a wye for the hose connection.

                  I used VersaChem High-Temp Red Silicone RTV 650 sealant that I either bought at Wal-Mart or Advanced Auto Parts.  It is rated for 650° F and is oxygen sensor safe (meaning no hydrocarbons).

                  Good luck with you're rebuild.

                  Tom
                  1980 Sabre 30   #12
                  "Imagination"