Re: Killing the smell

  • gmuller22
    Message 1 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
      Peter,

      I agree with you. If I had had a persistent diesel odor problem as
      you had I would have pursued the exact same path. All I'm saying is
      that this stuff should be handled as carefully as all the other
      potentially lethal fluids that we use on our boats. Then again, in
      view of the cavalier manner that most of us handle strong solvents
      (including myself) that are not only violently combustible, but
      often carcinogenic, it may be a moot point.

      Gerard Muller

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <pete@t...>
      wrote:

> [...]
      > > cleanup--as
      > > > protection from whatever is in the SPILL (remember the holding
      > > spill in
      > > > the bilge of the cruise ship that killed some crew and injured
      > > others a
      > > > few months ago?), not the product.
      > >

      > > That wasn't my reading. The MSDS talks about the effects of the
      > > product, which is known, not the effects of what's in the bilge,
      > > which is not known. I think when they refer to spill they mean
      the
      > > spill of the product, not what it's being poured into.
      > >

      > > And it only makes sense to wear
      > > > safety glasses--even a face shield to keep stuff out of your
      eyes,
      > > nose
      > > > and mouth any time you're spraying anything in a confined area.
      > >
      > > It may be, but I think few have ever felt the need to wear a full
      > > face shield and respirator when cleaning their bilge.
      > >

      > > > The best clue about how benign (or not) ANY product is, is in
      the
      > > Health
      > > > Hazard Data section of the MSDS and/or the first aid
      instructions
      > > on the
      > > > product label. If they say something like "harmful or fatal,
      may
      > > cause
      > > > blindness...call poison control immediately," that's NOT good.
      > > >
      > > > But if they say--as Section 6 of the MSDS for this product
      does--
      > > "may
      > > > cause diarrhea or nausea ...wash hands with plenty of soap and
      > > > water...wear rubber gloves *for prolonged exposure*...and few
      more
      > > CYA
      > > > instructions that are only common sense...that product is as
      > > benign as
      > > > any household cleaning product--in fact MORE benign than most.
      > >
      > > They also warn asthmatics about possible reaction to the stuff.
      > > Combine that with all the other warnings about possible reactions
      > > and I think it does put it into a category that is bit more of
      > > concern than say...Palmolive! But regardless of its bilge
      cleaning
      > > prowess, which I don't doubt, I 've always found that when I
      smell
      > > the first signs of the naturally occurring bacterial gumbo in our
      > > bilge that occurs as July rolls in, the use of fresh water to
      simply
      > > flush out the bilge every few weeks keeps it odor free for the
      rest
      > > of the season. Now, there is a cleaning product that we can all
      > > agree is truly benign.
      > >
      > > Gerard Muller
      > >

      > > > --
      > > > Peggie
      > > > ----------
      > > > Peggie Hall
      > > > Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
      > > > Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation

      t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boat
      ing&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>
      > > Sailing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&
      s=58&.sig=wzVbuCeWS6rfwNSNQG88GQ>
      > > Sabre<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Sabre&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=
      58&.sig=W3KiWfigfLLZ2gbZfKCuTg>
      > > Boating<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
      t=ms&k=Boating&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&
      s=58&.sig=sDRozAmistjFHj52YmngBQ>

      Message 2 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
        Gerard -
        Good point. In addition, since most of the cleaning compounds we use aboard eventually go overboard, we should encourage the "start with fresh water and work your way up" approach.  I have been guilty as well of using a chemical shotgun as a flyswatter on occasion.
        The beauty of the bacterial approach to hydrocarbons in the bilge is that over a reasonably short time, they break down the diesel, lube oil, etc. into water and CO2, before they leave the boat, rather than just emulsifying them like a traditional detergent.  Absent the hydrocarbons, there's no real need for the bugs.
        If we come across effective boat care products that are more environmentally and health friendly than what we had been using, we should share that information with the list.

        Pete

        wrote:

> [...]
        > > Systems and
        > > > Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
        > > > http://www.seaworthy.com/store/customer/product.php?
        > > productid=40&cat=6&page=1
        > > > http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books/detail-books.htm?
        > > fno=0&sku=90&cat=1304

        t=ms&k=Boating+sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boat
        ing&c=4&s=58&.sig=7vHntZUv3Cq-8RMLyOb4Ng>
        > > Sailing<http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Sailing&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&
        s=58&.sig=wzVbuCeWS6rfwNSNQG88GQ>
        > > Sabre< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Sabre&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&s=
        58&.sig=W3KiWfigfLLZ2gbZfKCuTg>
        > > Boating< http://groups.yahoo.com/gads?
        t=ms&k=Boating&w1=Boating+sailing&w2=Sailing&w3=Sabre&w4=Boating&c=4&
        s=58&.sig=sDRozAmistjFHj52YmngBQ>

        > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

        YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

        Message 3 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
          Peter Tollini wrote:

          > The beauty of the bacterial approach to hydrocarbons in the bilge is
          > that over a reasonably short time, they break down the diesel, lube
          > oil, etc. into water and CO2, before they leave the boat, rather than
          > just emulsifying them like a traditional detergent. Absent the
          > hydrocarbons, there's no real need for the bugs.

          If you run out of things to worry about before spring, ponder the number
          of mutations required for a diesel eating microbe to transmogrify into a
          polyester eating one.

          --

          Jim Starkey
          Netfrastructure, Inc.
          Message 4 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
            There was an article a few years back about the discovery of polyestermites.  It created a minor wave of panic.  I believe it was in the April issue of one of the sailing mags. We should hold off on announcing the bacterial mutation until next April.
            Pete

            On 12/1/05, Jim Starkey <jas@...> wrote:
            Peter Tollini wrote:

            > The beauty of the bacterial approach to hydrocarbons in the bilge is
            > that over a reasonably short time, they break down the diesel, lube
            > oil, etc. into water and CO2, before they leave the boat, rather than
            > just emulsifying them like a traditional detergent.  Absent the
            > hydrocarbons, there's no real need for the bugs.

            If you run out of things to worry about before spring, ponder the number
            of mutations required for a diesel eating microbe to transmogrify into a
            polyester eating one.

            --

            Jim Starkey
            Netfrastructure, Inc.
            978 526-1376

            Boating sailing Sailing Sabre
            Boating

            YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

          • Peggie Hall
            Message 5 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
              gmuller22 wrote:
              > That wasn't my reading. The MSDS talks about the effects of the
              > product, which is known, not the effects of what's in the bilge,
              > which is not known. I think when they refer to spill they mean the
              > spill of the product, not what it's being poured into.
              > ... but I think few have ever felt the need to wear a full
              > face shield and respirator when cleaning their bilge.

              In a society where nuisance personal injury lawsuits have made it
              necessary to mark the tool shelf on a ladder "not a step,", and boat
              builders have to put a placard on a swim platform warning against "teak
              surfing" because some of them have been sued for "failure to warn,"
              mfrs now include extreme safety precautions against even the most remote
              possibilities they can think of. I've even seen warnings on milk jugs
              that it shouldn't be consumed by those who are lactose intolerant!

              Pull up the MSDS on ANY product...you'll see warnings that'll scare the
              bejabbers out of you...here's the one for SeaLand's "environmentally
              friendly (?)" holding tank product. The MSDS for Odorlos isn't on their
              website, but I have a copy of it, and also the one for Raritan K.O.
              (which my own company developed...I sold the product line to Raritan in
              1999) I can attach to an email if you want read it.

              But what it comes down to is, if you don't feel that a product is safe
              to use without excessive precaution, don't use it.

              --
              Peggie
              ----------
              Message 6 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
                There is a warning on Capt. Chomp bilge cleaner that made me think then laugh.  They say it works well on driveway and garage oil stains, but caution against using it on blacktop. I can see the lawsuit now, "Your bugs ate my driveway!"
                Pete

                Message 7 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
                  This stuff can eat blacktop!!! Does Homeland Security know about
                  this? Imagine if terrorists got a hold of it and began spraying it
                  on our highways? And I was having such a nice Thursday too.

                  Message 8 of 27 , Dec 1, 2005
                    Gerard -
                    You can relax - by next spring in New England, how would you know if they did :)

                    wrote:

                    > There is a warning on Capt. Chomp bilge cleaner that made me think
                    then
                    > laugh.  They say it works well on driveway and garage oil stains,
                    but
                    > caution against using it on blacktop. I can see the lawsuit
                    now, "Your bugs
                    > ate my driveway!"
                    > Pete
                    >

                    > On 12/1/05, Peggie Hall <peg.hall@s...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > gmuller22 wrote:
                    > > > That wasn't my reading. The MSDS talks about the effects of the
                    > > > product, which is known, not the effects of what's in the
                    bilge,
                    > > > which is not known. I think when they refer to spill they mean
                    the
                    > > > spill of the product, not what it's being poured into.
                    > > > ... but I think few have ever felt the need to wear a full
                    > > > face shield and respirator when cleaning their bilge.
                    > >
                    > > In a society where nuisance personal injury lawsuits have made it
                    > > necessary to mark the tool shelf on a ladder "not a step,", and
                    boat
                    > > builders have to put a placard on a swim platform warning
                    against "teak
                    > > surfing" because some of them have been sued for "failure to
                    warn,"
                    > > mfrs now include extreme safety precautions against even the
                    most remote
                    > > possibilities they can think of. I've even seen warnings on milk
                    jugs
                    > > that it shouldn't be consumed by those who are lactose
                    intolerant!

                    > > Pull up the MSDS on ANY product...you'll see warnings that'll
                    scare the
                    > > bejabbers out of you...here's the one for
                    SeaLand's "environmentally
                    > > friendly (?)" holding tank product.  The MSDS for Odorlos isn't
                    on their
                    > > website, but I have a copy of it, and also the one for Raritan
                    K.O.
                    > > (which my own company developed...I sold the product line to
                    Raritan in
                    > > 1999) I can attach to an email if you want read it.
                    > >
                    > > But what it comes down to is, if you don't feel that a product
                    is safe
                    > > to use without excessive precaution, don't use it.
                    > >
                    > > --
                    > > Peggie
                    > > ----------
                    > > Peggie Hall
                    > > Specializing in marine sanitation since 1987
                    > > Author "Get Rid of Boat Odors - A Guide To Marine Sanitation
                    Systems and
                    > > Other Sources of Aggravation and Odor"
                    > >
                    > > http://www.seaworthy.com/store/customer/product.php?
                    productid=40&cat=6&page=1

                    > > http://shop.sailboatowners.com/books/detail-books.htm?
                    fno=0&sku=90&cat=1304

                    > >    -  Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of
                    > >    Service < http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

                    YAHOO! GROUPS LINKS

                  • Mike
                    Message 9 of 27 , Feb 23, 2006