2006: Volvo Ocean Race

  • Michel Remillard
    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 30, 2005
      Ok, So I'll share my Super Secret Scheme for the Volvo
      Ocean Race...

      Last time the Volvo came up the Cheseapeake, they
      crossed the finish line and went to Baltimore and
      stayed there for a few days. After a few days
      (weeks?) the fleet moved to Annapolis and stayed there
      for a few days.

      Without thinking about it, my plans were to go to
      Annapolist that weekend, from Rock Hall (across the
      Bay from Baltimore). We left at the crack of noon,
      and sailed leisurely across the bar and then towards
      the Bridge. At some point, we noticed that a bunch of
      BIG BOATS were bearing down on us, chutes up! Before
      we knew it, there were Volvo 60's all around us,
      dropping chutes, main sails, etc. etc. What a sight!
      Once all that was done, they made a parade and motored
      into the Severn and into Ego Alley. The real show was
      out on the Bay, only a handful of boats were there.

      Soooooooo, consider being **traffic** when the fleet
      moves from Baltiomre to Annapolis, Next year, that's
      the place to be!

      mike
      Raconteur

    • john coffey
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 8, 2005
        I had front row boat seats when the left Baltimore and were going to Annapolis on that Friday (before the start of the Sunday Race start). Great weather that day, Sunday was pretty crappy if I remember. We knew that there would be an official "parade" from Baltimore-Annapolis and we were right at the patrolled border.  Like Mike said, they came barelling up and even at 6 knots they must have breezed by at 12-16 knots. No work again in 2006

        John Coffey
        In Like Flynn
        Rock Hall/West Philly

        Yahoo! Shopping
      • John Kalinowski
        Message 3 of 8 , May 22, 2006
          Bill

          Maybe it was better you didn't get that ride of lifetime on the bank
          boat. It could have been shorter than you were expecting in more ways
          than one.

          From the natical section of this week's www.bostonboating.com :

          Tragedy struck one of the Dutch sailing yachts in the Volvo Ocean
          Race. Thirty-two year old Dutch sailor Hans Horrevoets was swept
          overboard at night by waves during the transatlantic leg of the race.
          Remarkably, 40 minutes later, in very rough seas and in the darkness
          of night, fellow crewmembers found the man overboard, but
          resuscitation efforts failed. The vessel named the ABN AMRO TWO, was
          one of six sailing yachts racing to England after a three-week stay
          on the Chesapeake Bay. The other Dutch yacht, ABN AMRO ONE, went on
          to win the race to England and now has won six of the seven legs in
          the round-the-world race. ABN AMRO TWO said it was no longer racing,
          but would still sail to England. This was the first death in the race
          since 1989, and the fifth death in its 32-year history. By the way,
          ABN AMRO is one of the largest banks in Europe

          > > Bill Blalock <mookiesurfs@...> wrote:
          > > I was weeding through some semi-spam from
          > > my mortgage lender, and whaddaya know:
          > >

          > > Our parent company, ABN AMRO, has entered two boats
          > > in the 2005-2006 Volvo Ocean Race.
          > >
          > > That's kinda cool. Yeah, so mortgages cost more
          > > to finance volvo boats - so what. Life is short.
          > >
          > > Bill B
          > > S38mk1 #88

          > > Boating sailing Sailing Sabre
          > > Boating

          > > Yahoo! Terms of Service.
          > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > >

          > > ---------------------------------
          > > Yahoo! Music Unlimited - Access over 1 million
          > > songs. Try it free.

        • Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , May 22, 2006
            It was a bad weekend for the Volvo Race. moviestar had keel problems, was taking on
            water and eventually they abandoned ship. Ambro Two had already sailed back to
            moviestar to render assistance. During a "lull" in the storm the decision to abandon ship
            was made, as winds were predicted to reach 40-50 later. Ambro Two picked up the
            moviestar crew and was sailing towards England. They were expected to be met by a
            Dutch Naval vessel to remove the body of the lost crewman and take him to Holland.

            Dave