Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Pull For Ernesto Opinion

    Message 1 of 22 , Sep 2, 2006
      When I comes to securing you headsail, do it every time you leave the boat and not just a blow.

      I had a friend you bought a used 43 foot boat to cruise with.
      First week he had it, Link and the Mrs. anchored in a river in Westport Ma to go ashore to have lunch.  They sat there eatting their meal when a fast moving squawl hit.  he watched helplessly as the headsail unrolled and proceded to drag the boat at high speed into a concrete bridge abbutment of a state highway (eg BIG chunk of Concrete). Only thing he had going for him was the boat was an ex-rental and had 6" rubstrip to protect it from morons who do not know know how to dock.  Those took most the damage.

      Curtis Koster <cpk@...> wrote:
      If you just do one thing, take the suggestion to secure the roller furling
      jib with a sail tie.

      Think of it: On lline, the furling line goes and the show begins. I have
      even seen this happen with a boat blowing off its jackstands on City Island.

      Curt Koster

      Do you Yahoo!?

    • godwin jones
      Message 2 of 22 , Sep 2, 2006
        I got ready to send a note yesterday about noon as Ernesto was raging much harder than forecast on lower Bay.  However we lost cable and with it my connection.
        We had water 4 ft above average high all day with another foot added as the low pressure eye went by.  Gained that 12" in about 5 minutes and dropped just as quickly 45 minutes later!  Water was about 3 ft over dock at highest.  Waded in to slack off starboard stern line which was tight with rising water.  Winds gusted all day and were in 60-65 range vs 35 forecast.
        Thursday afternoon I had put the cover on the bimini, added extra lines and put fender board and large bumpers.  Sure was glad I did as Ernesto gave us all we could take - water as high as Isabel and winds blew much longer.  We watched canoes, dock boxes, kayaks, tables, benches etc flow by all day - took some by more surprise that others.  Had I expected this much or more, I would have wrapped main cover with 1/2 line, removed the dodger and removed the genoa as well as anchored out in creek away from the dock.  Water stayed fairly smooth.  Winds took less than 10 minutes to quit completely once eye passed.
        One other thing I have not seen mentioned by others is have the free end of dock lines where you can adjust them - in my case on the dock cleats/pilings.  I could not get on the boat because it was too high above dock even though I am 6'6".  I needed to ease off as the water rose!
        An unusual tropical storm that reiterated need to prepare for the worst.

        Godwin
        Bojangles S-34-II
        Wilon Creek off Piankatank River, Chesapeake

        David Evans <dave@...> wrote:
        Most important I'd say is your number 4, chafing gear! Sails still cheaper
        than boat!

        But good points by all about furled sail "preventers, " both on the genoa
        and the mainsail. The latter I've never seen but a fine idea.

        The steering gear issue is new to me also. Really?

        dge

      • Curtis Koster
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 2, 2006
          For what it's worth, I unexpectedly had to go to Yachthaven West and the
          Compo Beach Marina (Westport) this pm. Counted two mainsail covers starting
          to become undone and ten unfurled jibs. Two jibs were in tatters, two were
          on trailers and had 'capsized' six were flailing about wildly. Curt Koster