wheel pilot questions

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
      I bought a new simrad wheel pilot and I have two questions:

      First how/where do I connect my GPS and is it worth the effort?

      Second when I followed the instructions to calibrate the compass it
      did not exhibit any of the behaviors (regarding flashing lights) that
      the instructions said it would. But when I turn it on and say go it
      steers a very straigbt course in the right direction so should I worry
      about it?

      I suspect that the answer to number one determines the answer to
      number 2.
    • David Lochner
      Message 2 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
        Tom,

        I have a Simrad auto pilot and its not connected to a GPS or anything else.

        I don't recall having calibrated the compass either but it does steer a straight line. If you do hook it up to a gps or other systems, you will probably want to calibrate the compass. When I use mine, I hand steer to the direction I want to go and engage the auto pilot. For small course changes I use the arrow keys on the autopilot, for big changes I disengage the autopilot, steer to the new course and reengage it.

        Dave

        Identity Crisis

        S30 #52

        Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

      • mike.merriman@comcast.net

          Message 4 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
            Connection / cable info should be described in the manual.  It uses a NMEA 1083 protocol. Yes, it is worth it if you care about having the auto-pilot steer to a waypoint or route that is active on your GPS or want to display data generated by GPS etc on your autopilot display.  e.g. Distance To next Waypoint (DTW), or  Speed Over Ground (SOG),  Not required but somethings useful. Also should calibrate auto-pilot (fluxgate) compass to your closely match your magnetic binacle compass such that they agree (within in error range (+ / -)  your compass deviation card)

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
              We've discussed this before, but one danger of connecting the autopilot to the gps is that you often will follow a beeline between popular marks.  So will people coming the other way, who may or may not be diligent about watchkeeping.  The Coast Guard refers to the resulting contacts as "EACs" or Electronically Assisted Collisions.  Also, "bong" or "crunch" are not generally acceptable waypoint alarms, but if you have precise coordinates, the gps and autopilot will be glad to take you right to the buoy or daymark and you may hear them. These count as EACs as well.
              Pete

              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 2, 2006
                Peter - thats a good point.  Folks who choose to follow common (more popular) buoys / waypoints / routes that are printed on charts and guidebooks run the risk of encoutering more traffic.  But that does not mean you have to set your GPS waypoints / routes to same.  In fact when I program my GPS routes I purposely "offset" them a good distance from the "road more traveled".   In this way you are practicing collision avoidance whether you have auto-pilot engaged or not.  As you said, watchkeeping and disengaging -or- changing direction of autopilot are the key.

                Dan

                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
                  Had a moron centerpunch a nun in Salem Sound earlier in the
                  season with a 42' cabincruiser. It was 2am so it was not like someone forced him there. Boat did not sink, but harbormaster was not amused...

                  Thank goodness he hit that one. 2 bouys more and he would have cut across our docks to get to the next one because of a dogleg in the channel.

                  Peter Tollini <pete@...> wrote:
[...]

                    How low will we go? Check out Yahoo! Messenger's low PC-to-Phone call rates.

                  • Daniel Trainor
                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 3, 2006
                      Check this out - Just another day on the river...

                      Dan