Joel White Nutshell Pram Bailer

  • William Kellett
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 1, 2013

      Joel White Nutshell Pram:

      I see that my commentary regards the suction bailer I put in my Nutshell Pram has raised some questions. ( see my prior post on Joel White Nutshell Pram For Sale)

      First, the suction bailer it is an Anderson Mini that I purchased from Defender for $75.65.  It mounts on the outside and requires a 2 7/8” by 1 ½” hole.  A template is provided with the bailer so you can’t go wrong.  I drilled a hole at each corner of such size that my fine saber saw blade would fit in and cut to the line.  It comes with four tiny mounting bolts with washers and nuts.

      I located the bailer under the main rowing seat in such a position that a clumsy oaf would have to work hard to step on it.

      We normally leave it closed.  But when an extended run under sail or power is about to get under way I step aboard and open it.  It has a “flapper” valve on the back so water will not rush in when open.

      In our opinion it has been a complete success.  So much so that I have called for one to be installed in my new Shellback Dingy.

      Anyone interested in purchasing my Nutshell for $500 should e-mail me for pictures (w.kellett@...)