RE: Adding Cabin-Top Mainsheet Winch, S28-II

  • wannix49
    Message 1 of 9 , Sep 23, 2013

      I have a 1983 version (with mid boom sheeting) and it has a dedicated winch for the main sheet.  The sheet also has a cam cleat on the end of the block on the traveler.   The main control is at the cam with a triple block.  The other end goes through a set of blocks to the mast and then returns through a fair lead to the winch.  We only have to use the winch when racing close hauled and the wind is greater than 10 knots.  the triple block arrangement makes is easy to trim.

      If you want photos I can supply them let me know.

      Tom

      --- In sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, <bwilson506@...> wrote:

      Their may be an easier way.  My neighbor has mid boom sheeting on his Ericson 30.  He added another 4:1 block system within the existing main sheet system.  The new 4:1 system leads from the becket on the bottom assembly up to the first turn on the upper block and provides a 16:1 ratio for the last few feet of trim.  It allows them to trim the main when the primary sheet has too much load.  You end up with a primary main sheet and a secondary for fine tuning. He did this for the same reason you are investigating.  He could barely trim in heavy wind and his wife was unable to trim the main.

      His traveler is in the cockpit so there is about 4 feet of travel room for the added block system.  On the S28 there is less room between the deck and the boom which may make this setup unworkable.

      It is at least worth considering in that it eliminates a new winch and all the holes in the deck and mounting that go with it.

      Barry Wilson
      Slipstream S28 #400

      I'm, looking for any photos, advice, past conversations, etc. on adding a cabin-top winch for my main-sheet and possibly main halyard.  It appears that at some point someone moved the traveler from the stern to the cabin top and at this point there is only a deck cleat.  In anything above a gentle breeze, my wife has to take the helm while I make adjustments and even then it's not easy. Boat is a 1980 Sabre 28, Mk-II.  Thanks!
    • gene_whalen

        I'm, looking for any photos, advice, past conversations, etc. on adding a cabin-top winch for my main-sheet and possibly main halyard.  It appears that at some point someone moved the traveler from the stern to the cabin top and at this point there is only a deck cleat.  In anything above a gentle breeze, my wife has to take the helm while I make adjustments and even then it's not easy. Boat is a 1980 Sabre 28, Mk-II.  Thanks!
      • Bob Jenning
        Message 3 of 9 , Sep 24, 2013
          Has anyone noticed issues with this Yahoo list?
          Seems every time I log in here, my computer starts to act weird & I have to do a virus scan to return it to normal.

          Bob

        • Richard Coerse

            Message 5 of 9 , Sep 26, 2013
              The slow thing, that's true also Richard.
              It's bizarre cause it only happens here.....