America's Cup vs. Leaf Blowers

    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
      It is somewhat astonishing that we have been able to inspire a great
      deal more testosterone over leaf blowers than the America's Cup
      competition. Plus or minus small town democracy issues, leaf blowers
      are intrinsically boring. The America's Cup, for sailors at least,
      represents the continuation (or re-establishment) of civilization as we
      know it.

      Gentlemen and ladies, can you get beyond the problems of commercial leaf
      blowing to the earth shattering consequences of a long and
      near-honorable competition in mortal peril by Larry Ellison?

      I stated publicly that I intended to ignore this sorry spectacle of
      mutant manifestly unseaworthy boats and mercenary crews. But I failed
      due to a lack of moral character. But am I the only one on the planet
      that has been watching? If not, I have yet to find the other fellow.

      Has anyone else succumb? The match racing is spectacular to watch.
    • John Coffey
      Message 2 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
        Jim, I watched the first 2 races on NBC in glorious HDTV. Being a cordcutter I've been catching the replays on YouTube and last few races live on the iPhone app. Lustily rooting for New Zealand! Send Russell Couttts back to wherever.

        Sent from Yahoo! Mail for iPhone

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
          Jim,

          Yesterday while cruising down I90 I was streaming the live video on my iphone. While I didn't get so see much of the race (keeping eyes on the road all that) I did enjoy the commentary. As Oracle raced towards mark 4 I raced into my driveway, flipped on the TV to see the lack of coverage and was utterly dismayed that my iPad batteries had died. Squinting into the tiny iPhone screen I was excited to see Oracle crossing the finish line.

          I am not certain that the AC has lived up to the hype, but the competition has been close throughout each race, much more exciting than previous versions. If only Team Oracle had played fair they would be in a much better position.

          Dave

[...]

        • John Zeratsky
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
            It doesn't hurt that I'm here in San Francisco, where it's all going down, but I've come down with a bad case of AC fever. I've been glued to my screens when I can't be out on the Bay or down at the club. The racing is exciting and the boats are incredible. It's easily the best (i.e. most compelling) America's Cup I've following.

            Again, perhaps it's the local factor, but many non-sailors have taken an interest — all kinds of people in my daily social/professional interactions are asking about the Cup.

            As far as I'm concerned, it's been a huge success — and it's not over yet!

            — JZ

            On Mon, Sep 23, 2013 at 12:44 PM, Dave Lochner <davelochner@...> wrote:

[...]

          • Allison Lehman

                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
                  It has been an amazing cup to watch.  Jim you are not alone!

                  David
                  We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails. _/)

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 23, 2013
                          I had the pleasure of watching Race 2 from an inflatable RIB chase boat.  It was a beautiful day and certainly the most exciting spectator sport experience I have ever had.  Even passed by a few Sabres out there in the SF Bay.  I also really enjoyed seeing some of the big sailing yachts anchored out in the bay or at the dock (Larry Ellison's Asahi, Jim Clark's Athena, the replica of America).

                          Rob

                          Sent from my iPad

[...]

                        • Ira Baline
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 26, 2013
                            Very exciting and compelling! Unbelievable outcome with Oracle improving more than NZ for the last several races. Wonderful to not have to wait a half hour to see the next cross. Hard to fathom the speed, more like car racing at times than boat racing.

                            How long will it be before more dinghys have foils? I raced in college and I would love to try that! Imagine a FLEET of boats going around a mark at, what 20 knots?!! Contact sport!

                            NBC coverage of this made for TV racing was great if not a little repetitive while waiting for the next race. The graphics were great too and Ken Read and Gary Jobson were excellent. Both steeped in the sport but suitably amazed at the skill exhibited.

                            I went in skeptical of using these cats but they have the potential to transform sailing events. The Cup is now more like Formula One racing! Can you imagine a pro circuit using maybe the 36 ft models? Harbor racing, easy viewing, impossible to ignore reasonable amount of time for those with limited spans of attention!

                            What will the next Cup be like?

                            Ira