RE: [SabreSailboat] Re: Leak in cabin headliner

  • Ken Jenkins
    Message 1 of 28 , Aug 3 7:58 AM

      If you screw back into the solid epoxy plug resulting from the repair, what screws do you recommend? I seem to recall somewhere seeing advice not to use wood screws, but drill the epoxy and use sheet metal screws to cut threads in the epoxy.

      Regards,

      Ken

      Message 2 of 28 , Aug 3 2:03 PM
      Attached is a new picture of the homemade low cost belt tensioner that I posted several years ago.

      Godwin
      Bojangles S-34-II

      Message 3 of 28 , Aug 3 2:21 PM
        Turns out it was through-bolted. I rebedded with 4000 and tightened everything up. I was able to gain access to the backing nuts by lowering a section of headliner.

        Greg T

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Aug 3, 2013, at 10:58 AM, "Ken Jenkins" <kjenk3@...> wrote:

        If you screw back into the solid epoxy plug resulting from the repair, what screws do you recommend? I seem to recall somewhere seeing advice not to use wood screws, but drill the epoxy and use sheet metal screws to cut threads in the epoxy.

        Regards,

        Ken

          The turning blocks on our 34II were screwed in. Since you have a leak there is probably rotted balsa core. I would carefully drill down without piercing the lower layer of glass, remove rotted balsa and fill with epoxy. That will stop the rot and give you a solid place for the screws.
          Cheers,
          Martin

          .

        • THOMPSON, GREGORY
          Message 5 of 28 , Aug 3 2:58 PM
            Dave,
            It was not cored there. Thanks for everyones replies.
            GT

            Sent from my iPhone

              Message 7 of 28 , Aug 3 9:41 PM
                If I recall correctly Sabre used pan head screws that might have been sheet metal screws. It might also be a good idea to add some high strength filler to the epoxy.
                I my case I elected to mount the new organizers with through bolts. the holes were drilled slightly oversized and coated with epoxy the day before installing the hardware to seal the balsa. I through bolted because the original single block for the main halyard had twisted and broken partially broken out one of the four factory screws. Since I was leading four lines through the new organizer fastened with only four fasteners I felt the loads would be higher still. Used white plastic plates that match the factory ones to hide the holes in the headliner.
                Cheers,
                Martin