Westbrook CT - Alternator

  • andrew johnson
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 2, 2013
      Does anyone know Westbrook CT?

      We are / were headed east towards Block Island and at 11pm started the engine to drop sails and motor into the anchorage behind Duck Is... Chart plotter flickered and died, then I smelt an electric burning smell. Lifted the steps to find plenty of smoke and the alternator sparking.

      Managed to kill the engine, sail in and anchor.

      Disconnected the alternator and covered the wires. I'd like to disconnect the batteries entirely, but I definitely need that anchor light as I'm not as close in behind the island as I'd like. Now sat outside while we try and air the smell out.

      I've never been ashore here. There looks to be a Brewer yard. Anyone have any recommendation for where I might get an alternator looked at tomorrow?

      Not the best first night to our summer week off work.

      Thanks,
      Andy
      Maine Road, S28

      Sent from my iPhone
    • marcus
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 3, 2013
        We just stayed in Westbrook on our way to and from BI. Brewers Pilot Point Marina is an extensive marina and I think has a good repair reputation.

        If you have to hole up there you will find many services. They have a pool, restaurant, gas grills and van service to take you places around town. (West Marine included) They gave us 25% off by becoming instant Brewers members and a dock cost about $100 for a 36 footer.

        Check out Bill's Seafood. A local, funky place...food: pretty ok, but fun.

        Good luck

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, andrew johnson <andydavidjohnson@...> wrote:

        > Does anyone know Westbrook CT?
        >
        > We are / were headed east towards Block Island and at 11pm started the engine to drop sails and motor into the anchorage behind Duck Is... Chart plotter flickered and died, then I smelt an electric burning smell. Lifted the steps to find plenty of smoke and the alternator sparking.
        >
        > Managed to kill the engine, sail in and anchor.
        >
        > Disconnected the alternator and covered the wires. I'd like to disconnect the batteries entirely, but I definitely need that anchor light as I'm not as close in behind the island as I'd like. Now sat outside while we try and air the smell out.
        >
        > I've never been ashore here. There looks to be a Brewer yard. Anyone have any recommendation for where I might get an alternator looked at tomorrow?
        >
        > Not the best first night to our summer week off work.
        >
        > Thanks,
        > Andy
        > Maine Road, S28
        >

        > Sent from my iPhone

      • marcus
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 3, 2013
          We just stayed in Westbrook on our way to and from BI. Brewers Pilot Point Marina is an extensive marina and I think has a good repair reputation.

          If you have to hole up there you will find many services. They have a pool, restaurant, gas grills and van service to take you places around town. (West Marine included) They gave us 25% off by becoming instant Brewers members and a dock cost about $100 for a 36 footer.

          Check out Bill's Seafood. A local, funky place...food: pretty ok, but fun.

          Good luck

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, andrew johnson <andydavidjohnson@...> wrote:

          > Does anyone know Westbrook CT?
          >
          > We are / were headed east towards Block Island and at 11pm started the engine to drop sails and motor into the anchorage behind Duck Is... Chart plotter flickered and died, then I smelt an electric burning smell. Lifted the steps to find plenty of smoke and the alternator sparking.
          >
          > Managed to kill the engine, sail in and anchor.
          >
          > Disconnected the alternator and covered the wires. I'd like to disconnect the batteries entirely, but I definitely need that anchor light as I'm not as close in behind the island as I'd like. Now sat outside while we try and air the smell out.
          >
          > I've never been ashore here. There looks to be a Brewer yard. Anyone have any recommendation for where I might get an alternator looked at tomorrow?
          >
          > Not the best first night to our summer week off work.
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Andy
          > Maine Road, S28
          >

          > Sent from my iPhone

        • andrew johnson
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 4, 2013
            Brewers were fantastically helpful.

            I took the alternator apart on the boat and the inside was well and truly burnt out.  I then inflated the dinghy and went to Brewers.  The guy in the parts shop helped me measure the alternator and rang around to try and find one, as well as looking in all their used parts and odds and ends.  One of the guys from the yard then drove us to try a few places.  Ended up finding one in a West Marine. It had an internal regulator (our sparky one was probably too big and had an external regulator) so I had some work to do in the anchorage.

            All's now well and we are back on our way. Just arrive in Block Is.

            I'd always kind of avoided Brewers thinking it was very corporate and formal.  They were super polite and couldn't have done more for us really.  He even called me later wondering how we'd got on.

            It's all part of the adventure, right?

            Thanks,
            Andy.

            Sent from my iPhone