Re: [SabreSailboat] Finishing new teak in an old Sabre

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 29, 2013
      Try mixing a little red mahogany stain in with your varnish. Do tests to see how much to add..  I did a almost perfect match  using this method. Lee  fla  S 28

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
        I've never had any luck trying to stain teak.  Too oily. The stain won't penetrate.  On the bright side, I have found that after about 2 years in normal cabin light will change the color to the red that we see in the aged teak.  A bulkhead that I replaced about 5 years ago has a color identical to the adjacent cabinets.  I built doors for the 2 hanging lockers on our 38 MK I and the exposed door is slowly turning red.  The locker door behind the forward cabin door is not exposed to light and is still has the same black shade of color as when it was installed.

        Lenny Smith
        Born to Run
        S38 MKI