Hatch Screens

  • vanbeckump
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 28, 2013
      Does anyone have any experience replacing the stock Sabre hatch screens? I can take the remnants of my old screens to a seamstress but thought there might be a preference in the screening I choose. The stock screens cracked after being folded many times.

      I assume I can replace the velcro around the hatch openings by using rubber cement.

      Thoughts? Experiences? Sources?

      Peter
    • Richard Coerse

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013

            I used screen purchased from the local hardware store and the admiral used the old ones as a pattern.  She cut the screen larger (i think she cut them 1.5 in larger to have two .75 in folds) so she could fold twice then attached the Velcro.  She did not use sticky back Velcro on the screen
            To remove the old Velcro I found the best technique was to pull very slowly and almost all of the old adhesive came off.  Used Goof Off to clean up.  I did not use this method on the first hatch and I had a much larger mess of old adheasive to clean up.  I used sticky back Velcro on the fiberglass.

            John K.
            Imagine
            S30. #64

            On Jul 29, 2013 6:59 AM, "Dave Lochner" <davelochner@...> wrote:

            If you can find a way to remove the old velcro, please share.

            Sailrite also sells mosquito netting or you could use fiberglass screening from your local hardware store (big or small box).

            Dave

            On Jul 28, 2013, at 10:04 PM, vanbeckump wrote:

            Does anyone have any experience replacing the stock Sabre hatch screens? I can take the remnants of my old screens to a seamstress but thought there might be a preference in the screening I choose. The stock screens cracked after being folded many times.

            I assume I can replace the velcro around the hatch openings by using rubber cement.

            Thoughts? Experiences? Sources?

            Peter

          • JohnF
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 29, 2013
              Dave - we removed the old velcro by carefully heating up the old glue with a heat gun on a lower setting, scraping off 80% of the softened glue with a putty knife, then removing the remaining 20% with Acetone and some elbow grease. Heat gun -> one of our favorite tools