Re: [SabreSailboat] Cabin top clutch

  • Carter Brey
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 26, 2013

    Andy,

    I Installed 2 Garhauer double clutches on the cabin top of my 28. Out of a habitual regard for belt and suspenders, I had Garhauer fabricate stainless backing plates for them, although I don't see that the sheer loads on them would be any more than those on the cabin top winches which the clutches service. Those winches are backed only by large fender washers. Although I moved the winches aft when I installed the clutches, I did not add backing plates where none had existed in the original factory configuration. They've been fine for 31 years. You're probably good to go.

    Carter
    S28-II Delphine

    On Jul 26, 2013 10:46 AM, "andrew johnson" <andydavidjohnson@...> wrote:

    Hi All,

    Has anyone fitted a cabin top clutch on an S28?  It looks straightforward enough, but I'd like to hear if anyone has added a backing plate or anything other than simply bolting through and sealing?

    I have a Lewmar tripple clutch that I hope to fit tomorrow.

    Thanks,
    Andy.
    Maine Road, S28
  • josrulz_2001
    Message 2 of 8 , Jul 26, 2013
      Carter, in a somewhat related question -- did you patch up the old bolt holes on the cabin top and try to match nonskid, or did you approach it some other way? Just curious since we'll be dealing with this as well as we customize sail handling gear.
      Thanks!
      -Jim

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

      > Andy,
      >
      > I Installed 2 Garhauer double clutches on the cabin top of my 28. Out of a
      > habitual regard for belt and suspenders, I had Garhauer fabricate stainless
      > backing plates for them, although I don't see that the sheer loads on them
      > would be any more than those on the cabin top winches which the clutches
      > service. Those winches are backed only by large fender washers. Although I
      > moved the winches aft when I installed the clutches, I did not add backing
      > plates where none had existed in the original factory configuration.
      > They've been fine for 31 years. You're probably good to go.
      >
      > Carter
      > S28-II Delphine
      > On Jul 26, 2013 10:46 AM, "andrew johnson" <andydavidjohnson@...>
      > wrote:
      >
      > > **
      > >

      > > Hi All,
      > >
      > > Has anyone fitted a cabin top clutch on an S28? It looks straightforward
      > > enough, but I'd like to hear if anyone has added a backing plate or
      > > anything other than simply bolting through and sealing?
      > >
      > > I have a Lewmar tripple clutch that I hope to fit tomorrow.
      > >
      > > Thanks,
      > > Andy.
      > > Maine Road, S28

    • Carter Brey
      Message 3 of 8 , Jul 26, 2013

        Jim,

        I tried to reuse as many bolt holes as possible or position the clutches so that they covered others-- meeting with only limited success since I was replacing something with a circular base with something rectangular.

        I filled the holes with epoxy (following the standard procedure for sealing off balsa core) and topped each one off with color-matched gelcoat from Minicraft. I did not attempt to match the non-skid pattern; that's beyond my patience and skill level.

        I'd say it's a six-foot job, unless you're nearsighted, in which case it's a three-foot job. Throw in astigmatism and it's a two-foot job.

        Best regards,
        Carter

        On Jul 26, 2013 2:12 PM, "josrulz_2001" <josrulz_2001@...> wrote:

        Carter, in a somewhat related question -- did you patch up the old bolt holes on the cabin top and try to match nonskid, or did you approach it some other way? Just curious since we'll be dealing with this as well as we customize sail handling gear.
        Thanks!
        -Jim

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Carter Brey <carter.brey@...> wrote:

        > Andy,
        >
        > I Installed 2 Garhauer double clutches on the cabin top of my 28. Out of a
        > habitual regard for belt and suspenders, I had Garhauer fabricate stainless
        > backing plates for them, although I don't see that the sheer loads on them
        > would be any more than those on the cabin top winches which the clutches
        > service. Those winches are backed only by large fender washers. Although I
        > moved the winches aft when I installed the clutches, I did not add backing
        > plates where none had existed in the original factory configuration.
        > They've been fine for 31 years. You're probably good to go.
        >
        > Carter
        > S28-II Delphine
        > On Jul 26, 2013 10:46 AM, "andrew johnson" <andydavidjohnson@...>
        > wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Hi All,
        > >
        > > Has anyone fitted a cabin top clutch on an S28? It looks straightforward
        > > enough, but I'd like to hear if anyone has added a backing plate or
        > > anything other than simply bolting through and sealing?
        > >
        > > I have a Lewmar tripple clutch that I hope to fit tomorrow.
        > >
        > > Thanks,
        > > Andy.
        > > Maine Road, S28

      • andrew johnson
        Message 4 of 8 , Jul 27, 2013
          Thanks Carter, appreciate the info.

          The new bilge pump took longer than expected today, so the clutch is going to have to wait a couple of weeks now.

          Off to Block Island next weekend for a week of sun (hopefully) and mudslides (definitely).

          Cheers,
          Andy

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 5 of 8 , Jul 27, 2013
            Thanks Carter. I think I'll be doing the same. I've patched gelcoat on smooth surfaces and have done an OK job, but adding the nonskid to the match seems to complicate things infinitely. I have not done the Minicraft thing because of the expense, but I'm sure using their gelcoat would be a better match than I can do on my own. Just seemed like a lot of dough for small holes.

            Thanks again for your two cents on it.

            Message 6 of 8 , Jul 29, 2013
              If any of you guys  have trouble matching the non skid pattern when you do projects. Try this    go to home depot and find a plastic light fixture defuser they come 3x4  come in clear and white.  cut a piece out spray with mold release spray or a light oil and push it into your epoxy or resin the pattern should be close.
              A lot of older boats were molded this way for non skid.. Lee/ Fla

              Message 7 of 8 , Oct 16, 2013
                Andy,  I also mounted Garhauer clutches to the cabin top with the guidance of Carter , yup no backing needed just fender washers.. all works slick
                 Lee/ sandpiper S 28