Finishing new teak in an old Sabre

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 21, 2013
      I've had to replace some teak plywood in my boat as part of my cabin sole/rot project. I've done small teak projects in the past, and simply oiling them doesn't match the Sabre teak. I suspect that Sabre provided some redish-brown coloring in their original finish -- more than just oil. I've had to replace the entire panel that makes the port settee, and I really would like it to color match the rest of the boat, or at least be closer than the other projects I've done.

      Has anyone successfully matched new teak to the old teak? Any ideas what stain/finish Sabre used?

      Thanks

      Harry
      Analysis
      '79 S34-I #063
      Mill Creek, Annapolis

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
          Pete,

          Interesting. I've been using Amazon oil, but perhaps I should get a bottle of Watco, at least for initial oiling of new wood. How long do you figure it will take to match the 35 year old stuff in the rest of the boat? :)

          Thanks!

          Harry

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

          > Harry -
          > Sabre didn't use any stain, just Watco oil finish. Watco is based on
          > linseed oil, which darkens over time. That's probably what you see.
          > Pete
          >

          > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM, sailor11767 <sailor11767@...> wrote:
          >
          > > **
          > >

          > > I've had to replace some teak plywood in my boat as part of my cabin
          > > sole/rot project. I've done small teak projects in the past, and simply
          > > oiling them doesn't match the Sabre teak. I suspect that Sabre provided
          > > some redish-brown coloring in their original finish -- more than just oil.
          > > I've had to replace the entire panel that makes the port settee, and I
          > > really would like it to color match the rest of the boat, or at least be
          > > closer than the other projects I've done.
          > >
          > > Has anyone successfully matched new teak to the old teak? Any ideas what
          > > stain/finish Sabre used?
          > >
          > > Thanks
          > >
          > > Harry
          > > Analysis
          > > '79 S34-I #063
          > > Mill Creek, Annapolis

        • Jim
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
            Harry:
            Check the archives here. I remember some talk about using either cherry or some other tint of the Watco Oil to match old teak to new.
            I've never done it, just remember seeing it.
            JD

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
              Harry-
              I'd stay away from anything that uses linseed oil. Gray mold uses it for a smorgasbord.  You are in so far now, you might just strip the existing teak and refinish it all at the same time.  I did that after a mold attack on my Watco finish, using Daly's Seafin.  The results are awesome. Swan-like if I may boast.
              Pete

              On Mon, Jul 22, 2013 at 6:39 AM, sailor11767 <sailor11767@...> wrote:

              Pete,

              Interesting. I've been using Amazon oil, but perhaps I should get a bottle of Watco, at least for initial oiling of new wood. How long do you figure it will take to match the 35 year old stuff in the rest of the boat? :)

              Thanks!

              Harry

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

              > Harry -
              > Sabre didn't use any stain, just Watco oil finish. Watco is based on
              > linseed oil, which darkens over time. That's probably what you see.
              > Pete
              >

              > On Sun, Jul 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM, sailor11767 <sailor11767@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **

              > > I've had to replace some teak plywood in my boat as part of my cabin
              > > sole/rot project. I've done small teak projects in the past, and simply
              > > oiling them doesn't match the Sabre teak. I suspect that Sabre provided
              > > some redish-brown coloring in their original finish -- more than just oil.
              > > I've had to replace the entire panel that makes the port settee, and I
              > > really would like it to color match the rest of the boat, or at least be
              > > closer than the other projects I've done.
              > >
              > > Has anyone successfully matched new teak to the old teak? Any ideas what
              > > stain/finish Sabre used?
              > >
              > > Thanks
              > >
              > > Harry
              > > Analysis
              > > '79 S34-I #063
              > > Mill Creek, Annapolis

            • tsaiapex25
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
                Harry,

                Message 40194 has pictures show results.

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
                  Pete,

                  Your comment on "stripping the existing" is what has me a little confused/concerned. In 2011, I did an agressive cleaning of all the teak with teak cleaner. It really brightened stuff up, took off years of crud, etc. Then I oiled it (although there's a good chance it was heavy on Linseed Oil!). So, the color in the wood has to be something below the surface.

                  Are you suggesting something stronger than teak cleaner? Perhaps a solvent based product? Maybe even a paint stripper kind of material?

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
                    Jeff,

                    One word. WOW. I have my answer.

                    Thanks

                    Harry

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "tsaiapex25" <tsaiapex25@...> wrote:

                    > Harry,
                    >
                    > Message 40194 has pictures show results.

                    > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I've had to replace some teak plywood in my boat as part of my cabin sole/rot project. I've done small teak projects in the past, and simply oiling them doesn't match the Sabre teak. I suspect that Sabre provided some redish-brown coloring in their original finish -- more than just oil. I've had to replace the entire panel that makes the port settee, and I really would like it to color match the rest of the boat, or at least be closer than the other projects I've done.
                    > >
                    > > Has anyone successfully matched new teak to the old teak? Any ideas what stain/finish Sabre used?
                    > >
                    > > Thanks
                    > >
                    > > Harry
                    > > Analysis
                    > > '79 S34-I #063
                    > > Mill Creek, Annapolis

                  • vanbeckump
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
                      Harry,

                      I have replaced solid teak in my boat and found that it darkens over several days after machining and sanding. I let the color warm up nicely before oiling. I wouldn't be surprised if teak plywood did the same. It takes around a week.

                      I finish it with one coat of any oil finish and then topcoat with three coats of polyurethane. The oil helps to develop the warm color the poly provides protection and whatever sheen you choose. My interior is vastly more attractive and durable than original.

                      Peter

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 22, 2013
                        Harry -
                        There are two part cleaners and bleaching products that will bring teak back to its original golden color.  They go well beyond cleaners. There's a choice factor here, too. If you want a dark finish, stain the new. If you want a more honey colored finish, bleach the old.
                        See photos in the Solace album for the honey look.
                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 29, 2013
                          Try mixing a little red mahogany stain in with your varnish. Do tests to see how much to add..  I did a almost perfect match  using this method. Lee  fla  S 28

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 30, 2013
                            I've never had any luck trying to stain teak.  Too oily. The stain won't penetrate.  On the bright side, I have found that after about 2 years in normal cabin light will change the color to the red that we see in the aged teak.  A bulkhead that I replaced about 5 years ago has a color identical to the adjacent cabinets.  I built doors for the 2 hanging lockers on our 38 MK I and the exposed door is slowly turning red.  The locker door behind the forward cabin door is not exposed to light and is still has the same black shade of color as when it was installed.

                            Lenny Smith
                            Born to Run
                            S38 MKI