Westerbeke fuel shutoff

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
      My fuel shutoff lever on the engine has started sticking in the off position.  I have to go below and manually push it back to the run position. I shot it with WD40 today and it seemed to loosen up. As designed it is a pull to off and when the cable is pushed in it returns on its own spring. I'm thinking of adding a second clamp on the cable to give it push-pull functionality.
      Anyone else dealt with this?
      The engine is a W18, part of the Mitsubishi W13, 21, 27 and 30 family.
      Since it was too hot, still and thunderstormy to sail today, I replaced the HX zinc and the raw water pump impeller (God bless Speedseal!). The old impeller was like new. They probably look like that right up to when they shed a blade.
      Pete
    • Allison Lehman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 21, 2013
        Pete it must be fuel season!  We have our complete fuel line from the tank to the Racor torn off.  We keep finding black chunks. After replacing our filter we were still pulling a vacuum so one by one we are tearing apart and cleaning or replacing.  There was junk in our shut off valve as well.

        Allison

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 21, 2013, at 3:48 PM, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

        My fuel shutoff lever on the engine has started sticking in the off position.  I have to go below and manually push it back to the run position. I shot it with WD40 today and it seemed to loosen up. As designed it is a pull to off and when the cable is pushed in it returns on its own spring. I'm thinking of adding a second clamp on the cable to give it push-pull functionality.
        Anyone else dealt with this?
        The engine is a W18, part of the Mitsubishi W13, 21, 27 and 30 family.
        Since it was too hot, still and thunderstormy to sail today, I replaced the HX zinc and the raw water pump impeller (God bless Speedseal!). The old impeller was like new. They probably look like that right up to when they shed a blade.
        Pete

      • Thomas Johnson