Re: [SabreSailboat] S34 Impeller W27

  • THOMAS JOHNSON
    Message 1 of 26 , Jul 15, 2013
    This impeller business is a bear!  Pics show big mistake - new impeller is put in with the wrong bend direction.  Started the motor for a few seconds and no water being sucked through - checked the water intake, filter (basket is only 3/4 full so no sucking) - I suspect tomorrow when I remove the impeller I'll find broken bits....

    BTW- both impellers are the same dimension - but new one had a thicker cross beam that would not fit the groove in the impeller shaft - I took the old cross member out and installed into new impeller.....

    Good news is I think I can take it off in 15 minutes now.

    Message 2 of 26 , Jul 15, 2013
      The bend of the blades is good to have in the right direction, but I recall reading that if lubricated they flip around the right way with no harm done.
      Is there rust on the hose clamp? If so it's probably a hardware store el-cheapo with the screw part not stainless. Best to replace before costly failure.
      Martin

      Message 3 of 26 , Jul 19, 2013
        I agree a Speed seal and a blue  "GLOBE "impeller  ! lee

        Message 4 of 26 , Jul 19, 2013
          Next day I removed the impeller in 15 minutes. I had added a gasket but noticed an o ring fall off. I removed the gasket and cleaned up everything, replaced the o-ring and put on.  Works great

          I ordered the blue impeller 3days ago!

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 5 of 26 , Jul 19, 2013
            Okay, perhaps time for a blue impeller to go with the SpeedSeal.
            I can't find a listing on the Globe Marine site for the W27A, much its upgraded 48080 pump.
            Must be an answer out here.
            Even with the SpeedSeal, the Profanisaurus is useful.
            Thx,
            dge

            Message 6 of 26 , Jul 19, 2013
              If you Google Globe impeller company it all comes up !I know if you call Depco Pump Company in Clearwater Florida they are factory reps for them.
               Globe used to sell to the public and you could master card on line  . I think they went to a dealer net work , now ? ! Lee

              Message 7 of 26 , Jul 19, 2013
                Whats all this about a Globe?  Does it last longer?  What are the cons?

                      Message 11 of 26 , Jul 20, 2013
                        Boaters Plus
                        Globe Composite Solutions 6 Blade Globe Impeller 6541
                        $41.99

                        Message 12 of 26 , Jul 20, 2013
                          Looks like it. Does have a threaded shaft for the pin. Also on Amazon for 27.50 and free shipping.
                          Thx.

                                Message 16 of 26 , Jul 22, 2013
                                  This from Defender fits the (presumably new model) pump on W55 2004:

                                  301968 Globe Run-Dry Impeller 1 0 $36.99

                                  Message 17 of 26 , Jul 31, 2013
                                    i just changed out my globe impeller in my Md7a this morning  its been 2 years and the old one looks new..I was getting almost no water out the stern !  Thank god for speed seals..
                                     Any one knowing some one who would like a great  Saber  28  mine in on crigs list , with great pix .  Lee/ Tarpon Springs  fl

                                    Message 18 of 26 , Aug 5 10:31 AM
                                      I would put my money on the Depco boys , they are 5 miles from me.I was there telephone repair man for 15 years some years ago. they know boat engines and water pumps ! your very safe with there advice..  Lee Nicholas S-28