Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: More Multi-Max Praise

  • Bennett Kaufman
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 10, 2013
      Lessee....Rockwell, Fein, Bosch, Dremel.....

      MULTI-TOOL WARS!

      Even better than Varnish Wars or Rum Rumbles (not to mention Scotch throw-downs)!

      ben kaufman, CARACOL (S36 #52)

      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
        Ben

        do not forget the Harbor Freight model.
        Sure it is heavy and not as smooth as some of the others.
        And you best carry the Allen wrench because it has a bad habit of loosening up at the blade if you had not cranked it down.

        But if you use these things occationally, the low price cannot be beat.
        Usually 20 bucks when on sale

        The savings skyrocket on the blades which are less than 10 bucks.
        Compare that to 40-50 bucks for some of brands.
        First time you find a nail in some woodwork you will be glad a new blade is chump change.

        For cutting trim, taking the apart the woodwork, or making short work of fibreglas, you cannot beat the price.  I hear they even work on projects not involving the boat..

        Sent from Windows Mail

        The Dremel was the first oscillating saw to come to market after the patent protections expired for the Fein. It will probably take a few more years for the market to sift out the weak competitors.  In the meantime the Dremel does a decent job ffor most purposes and is affordable.

        Dave

        On Jul 10, 2013, at 8:59 PM, Dave Evans wrote:

        The Dremel multi got me into the land of Fein, but this Bosch MultiX is a world better.
        http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HKCGQK/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
        dge

        On 7/10/2013 5:43 PM, mattcragon wrote:

        I have one of these and I really like it, but it can be a little wimpy for anything but light jobs.

        In case you ever feel the same, for the heavier stuff I like using a Rockwell Sonicrafter which has a much heavier duty motor. It also seems to take universal blades which can be had inexpensively at Harbor Freight.

        The tool itself is also reasonably priced at around $120 with a case and accessories.

        https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/SC-Hyperlock-RK5139K.aspx

        The MultiMax work well for bungs and the like, but if you ever decide you are going to rip up your sole or replace you mast step, invest in one of these.

        Have a great day!

        Matt

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

        > I replaced 3 bungs on the toe rail. I set them with varnish and a rubber
        > mallet. After a day I tried the Multi-Max with a fine offset blade and cut
        > the plugs smoothly and nearly flush. Then I put on the sanding foot with a
        > piece of 240 and all three were quickly ready to finish. Total time was <5
        > minutes.
        > Pete

      • Philip Horn
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
          I bought the Fein before I started my mast step/cabin sole replacement. A terrific tool, great for getting into the tight spots. Yes, it was expensive, but the quick change blade feature (10 secs, no tools) by itself made the extra expense worthwhile.
          Phil Horn
          S34 #67

        • mainecruising
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 11, 2013
            The multi-tool is an indispensable boat tool. I currently own:

            1 Harbor Freight Multi-Tool (complete joke only good for sanding)

            1 Milwaukee Multi-Tool (cordless & handy but a pretty poor performer)

            1 Dremel Multi-Tool (a real weakling and far to light weight, hops and skips when making plunge cuts & this could get expensive on a $200.00 piece of teak. I reserve mine for 80 grit)

            1 Fein Multi-Master (WOW!!!!! A real honest to goodness tool. Meaty, reliable, smooth, fast and blade changes take seconds with no tools.)

            I bought my brother the Rockwell Sonicrafter. (For the price a pretty decent performer and far better than my Dremel, Milwaukee or HFT models.)

            The Fein is so far ahead of all the others it is not even a race. I do use my cordless Milwaukee quite a bit but only because it is cordless and I throw it in with my other Milwaukee cordless tools. Other than that it is a pretty poor tool compared to the Fein. If you must buy a knock off IMHO, of the tools mentioned above, the Rockwell Sonicrafter comes the closest to the Fein but is still a few laps behind.

            RC

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

            > The Dremel multi got me into the land of Fein, but this Bosch MultiX is
            > a world better.
            > http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004HKCGQK/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
            > dge
            > On 7/10/2013 5:43 PM, mattcragon wrote:
            > >

            > > I have one of these and I really like it, but it can be a little wimpy
            > > for anything but light jobs.
            > >
            > > In case you ever feel the same, for the heavier stuff I like using a
            > > Rockwell Sonicrafter which has a much heavier duty motor. It also
            > > seems to take universal blades which can be had inexpensively at
            > > Harbor Freight.
            > >
            > > The tool itself is also reasonably priced at around $120 with a case
            > > and accessories.
            > >
            > > https://www.rockwelltools.com/en-US/SC-Hyperlock-RK5139K.aspx
            > >
            > > The MultiMax work well for bungs and the like, but if you ever decide
            > > you are going to rip up your sole or replace you mast step, invest in
            > > one of these.
            > >
            > > Have a great day!
            > >
            > > Matt
            > >
            > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
            > > <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>, Peter Tollini <sabre30@>
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I replaced 3 bungs on the toe rail. I set them with varnish and a rubber
            > > > mallet. After a day I tried the Multi-Max with a fine offset blade
            > > and cut
            > > > the plugs smoothly and nearly flush. Then I put on the sanding foot
            > > with a
            > > > piece of 240 and all three were quickly ready to finish. Total time
            > > was <5
            > > > minutes.
            > > > Pete

          • mookiesurfs
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 12, 2013
              +1

              Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling