Re: [SabreSailboat] Manual bilge pump

  • Allison Lehman
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 7, 2013
      Hi Rob,
      It is on the port side, aft, in the cockpit.  We use it a lot as it draws water down farther than the electric bilge pump.

      Allison

      On Jul 7, 2013, at 5:56 PM, Yahoo <forty_shrimps@...> wrote:

      Can anyone refer me to the exact location of the manual bilge pump on my 362?

      On this topic, and out of curiosity, anyone have any sense of the capacity of the bilge?

      Thanks
      Rob

      Sent from my iPad

      On Jul 4, 2013, at 6:31 PM, "Jim" <jim.duffy28@...> wrote:

      Rodd:
      Yes, very interested in your used tank. Contact me off line to discuss. I can run down and pick it up.
      Thanks
      jim.duffy@...

      Can't find any leaking hoses or fittings. Leak has stopped once the fuel level was lowered. I did overfill the tank due to the new sending unit I installed from MIRAX last fall. Even after the fuel I lost, the gauge reads 3/4 full and the tank is only 1/4 inch from the top. How it got out of the tank I don't know. Nothing on the hoses or the fittings. Fuel was coming over the plywood tray on the bottom of the tank. Spent the day at the Rockland city dock in 90 degree heat trying to figure it out. Got everything cleaned up.
      Nothing leaking now. Plan on taking off to Swans Island tomorrow. Will watch it.

      I don't like when something goes wrong and I can't find out why.
      JD

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mainecruising" <mainecruising@...> wrote:

      > I have ordered & installed two Sabre tanks from Mirax this season (a 32 Targa and 34 MKI). They are good with a decent turn around BUT you MUST send them a COMPLETE detailed list of EXACTLY what you want in this tank including ALL FITTINGS, drilled & tapped for a sender, tank wall thickness, dimensions, exact locations of all fittings etc..When ordering a new tank it never hurts to throw an extra pick up & return in for future heat or fuel polishing.
      >
      > If you are not precise in your order they WILL SCREW IT UP (2 out of 2 or 100% screw up rate for my tanks). They screwed up both of my orders DESPITE sending them accurate drawings and a full list of fittings I wanted. These were not big screw ups but did delay jobs, a real PITA that has cost associated with it.
      >
      > I would strongly urge against the factory .090 wall and instead suggest .125 wall tank. I have a used Sabre 20 gallon tank (34 MKI), in very good shape for the age, but it is USED and approx 25 years old. Owner of that tank decided on new, once the old one was out... A wise choice...
      >
      > Are you sure this is not a hose/vent or fuel line issue??? Tank leaks are usually very slow at first....
      >
      > -RC
      >

      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jim.duffy28@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Filled up today to head out for the week. Ended up with 8 gallons of fuel in the bilge. Looks like the fuel tank has a leak. Anyone in Mid Coast ME know of a welder/shop that can make a tank? Will try Mirax, the maker of the tank to see what they charge.
      > > Thanks
      > > Jim D

    • Jim Duffy
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 8, 2013
        Len:
        Thanks for the reply. I've check all fittings and hoses. Can't find even a damp spot. Top of the tank is dry and looks like it has been that way for a while. Only place I can't see is the port side of the tank as it is mounted right next to the quartberth. I thought about cutting an inspection port into the side to check out the tank, but why? If it's leaking there I still need to replace the tank.
        Was out all weekend and didn't have any leaks. Had oil pads all around the bottom of the tank and got nothing.  I did not put any more fuel in since I over filled it last week. I am going to just not fill the tank above 3/4 as I know the new gauge is way off.  Will get a new tank now so I have it. Then pull the tank and replace in the fall. (unless I turn up more leaks). It's going on 30 years so it's probable time.
        Jim D

        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 8, 2013
          Be very careful & specific if you use Mirax. I had a them fabricate a tank for my 34 Mk I last season & they made it 1/4" larger in width than my
          drawings. Took a few hours of grinding to make it fit, I was not happy after spending $300+ for the tank. Just plain carelessness in the workshop,
          which is why I always do my own repairs/upgrades. Could have made my own tank, but figured it was cheaper to have Mirax do it. Hahahahaha!
          Phil Horn
          S34 #67

              Message 6 of 16 , Aug 8, 2013
                Ended up pulling my tank to find the leak. Found a 1/4" hole right in the middle of the bottom. It looks like it had been there for a while. There was a small scrap of wood that looked like it had been there since the boat was new. That caused moisture to collect on the bottom of the tank. The hole was surrounded by sawdust and some kind of gunk that looked like congealed diesel and dirt. When I overfilled the tank it must have been enough pressure to blow the junk out and caused the leak. The rest of the tank looked good. Took it to a welder and $40 and 20 mins later it was fixed. Got an inspection port from Seabuilt. Cleaned the inside of the tank and reinstalled.
                All is well for now??

                RC: Thanks for your help!!!

                JD