Re: [SabreSailboat] Westerbeke 13 Operating Temperature

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 1 6:23 PM
      Let me expand a little on Dan's correct answer.  Assuming all is well, the engine  temperature is controlled by a thermostat generally set at 180 degrees F.  That said, if the heat exchanger is partially plugged, the fresh water pump isn't pumping, or the raw water pump isn't pumping, the thermostat can't do its job.

      200 hundred is a tad high, not cause for alarm itself, but if something ain' right in the cooling system, a high load might put the temps into the alarming range.

      A prudent owner might reasonably consider 200 degrees F a call for help from your engine.  Or it might just be a non-standard thermostat.  Further investigation is probably warranted.   If it never goes above 200, I'd consider it a winter project.

      On Jul 1, 2013, at 8:56 PM, Dan Trainor <dptrainor@...> wrote:

      180 degs F

      On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 8:37 PM, poutierj <poutierj@...> wrote:

      I'm new to inboard engines. What temp range is "normal" for a Westerbeke 13 in an S28/III at 22OO rpm? Chesapeake Bay water temp was approx 76F and air temp was approx 83F. During our first trip it ran at approx 200F. The engine has 780 hours on her as she was a lake boat since 1984. This was the first trip in salt water.

      Thanks for any comments.

      John

      --
      Dan

    • John Poutier
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 1 7:02 PM
        Thanks guys.  That gives me something to go on. I could not find any info on normal operating temps other than letting it come up to 120 -150 on initial start before loading the engine.