Re: [SabreSailboat] Mast leaks

  • Dave Evans
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 1 7:26 AM
      Pierre,
      This boot can be installed with the mast in place: http://www.waterboot.com/
      A friend who uses one says it works perfectly.
      I know what you mean about the vang; the mast fitting may not leave much room for the boot.
      dge
      34-II

      On 7/1/2013 10:09 AM, pierre.gremaud wrote:

      We have water coming down the mast every time it rains (and it's been raining quite a lot lately).

      The Spartite mast collar has seen better days. I am not quite sure whether the water comes through the Spartite or just seeps on the sides and/or the mast groove. A complicating factor is that the PO, probably in a desperate attempt to fix this, has injected foam from the bottom. Water still leaks but now there is a congealed vomit looking thing around the mast.

      Anyway, here are my options/questions

      1. Mast boot: I am thinking of just adding a mast boot but I am not sure how to install this without interfering with the boom vang. Any suggestion?

      2. Redo the job right: Can the Sparite mast collar be removed "easily"? Also, I'd rather avoid removing the mast...

      Option 1 looks a lot more appealing than option 2...

      Thanks.

      Pierre

      Grayce, Sabre 36
      Oriental, NC

    • walkabout193
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 1 11:08 AM
        My water comes from inside the mast, not externally. The water boot is something I have and find effective. I wrap the top joint with vinyl tape. No water comes in from there. We took the water boot and made a pattern for a sun cover in canvas to match. This will give the water boot many years of additional life.
        I'd plan on redoing the spartite at a convenient haul out when you need to pull the mast for other maintenance.

        Len Bertaux