Re: Engine dying/ fuel starvation

  • walkabout193
    Message 1 of 16 , Jul 1 3:15 AM
      Alison
      While not a 362 owner I just solved the exact same symtoms you describe. It wasnt the filters, it wasn't the lift pump,it was blockage in the fuel line between the racor and the tank, at the shutoff valve. My fuel lines are a mix of hard and flexible line. Where they connect they should come apart easily, at the racor or the shut off. If you have an air pump and some ingenuity you can try blowing out the line from the racor to the tank. Im 100% certain thats the source of the problem. Hope this helps and good luck.

      Len Bertaux
      Walkabout S38 mkii
      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

      > Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
      > Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.
      >
      > We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.
      >
      > Allison
      >
      > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

    • Charles Sidwa
      Message 2 of 16 , Jul 1 6:29 AM
        I recall Sabre got rid of the fuel pickup screen, but not sure what year, my 89 34 didn't have one. While out of your home harbor I would try turning the fuel shut of valve off and on a few times while running the engine and maybe dislodge a blockage.

        Charlie

        Sent from my iPhone

        On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:54 AM, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

        Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
        Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.

        We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.

        Allison

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

        > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

      • Allison Lehman
        Message 3 of 16 , Jul 1 8:19 AM
          Thanks Len,  I think we may be having the same issue as you.One of the things we tried was flipping the the shut of valve on and off a bunch to keep it running (due to your earlier posts, we were suspect of it ). Either way , no matter where the blockage is, this is only part of the equation.
           The implication is if there is a blockage, there is gunk in you system.  That is the reason for fuel polishing.  To remove the gunk.  Then we will look at the valve first.

          In the meantime, we are on the hook near some of our friends and having morning coffee.  Here is our view.
          image.jpeg
          Sent from my iPad

          Message 4 of 16 , Jul 1 8:24 AM
            Thanks Charlie.  Calypso is a '97 so I am hopeful as that is a BIG job!  We have done the valve trick and it enabled us to limp into our anchorage.  It is really tough when you know you have a 60 nm trip home that will most likely require a lot of motoring and you know your system is being flakey.  Today we will look for a mobile fuel polisher.

            Allison

            Sent from my iPad

            On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Charles Sidwa <ChasSidwa@...> wrote:

            I recall Sabre got rid of the fuel pickup screen, but not sure what year, my 89 34 didn't have one. While out of your home harbor I would try turning the fuel shut of valve off and on a few times while running the engine and maybe dislodge a blockage.

            Charlie

            Sent from my iPhone

            On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:54 AM, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

            Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
            Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.

            We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.

            Allison

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

            > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

          • Godwin Jones
            Message 5 of 16 , Jul 1 9:25 AM
              Check the ferrule nuts on the shutoff.  Many years ago I found a loose one after having shutdowns after going over a wake.  It will let air get in the line.

              I also had the screen problem in the pickup tube '86 Sabre 34.  You cam temporarily get relief by blowing back through the line from the rancor toward the tank.  That also may get you a few more hours if it is a blockage at the shutoff.  Good luck.

              Godwin
              Bojangles

              Sent from my iPad

              On Jul 1, 2013, at 11:24 AM, Allison Lehman <allisonleh@...> wrote:

              Thanks Charlie.  Calypso is a '97 so I am hopeful as that is a BIG job!  We have done the valve trick and it enabled us to limp into our anchorage.  It is really tough when you know you have a 60 nm trip home that will most likely require a lot of motoring and you know your system is being flakey.  Today we will look for a mobile fuel polisher.

              Allison

              Sent from my iPad

              On Jul 1, 2013, at 6:29 AM, Charles Sidwa <ChasSidwa@...> wrote:

              I recall Sabre got rid of the fuel pickup screen, but not sure what year, my 89 34 didn't have one. While out of your home harbor I would try turning the fuel shut of valve off and on a few times while running the engine and maybe dislodge a blockage.

              Charlie

              Sent from my iPhone

              On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:54 AM, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

              Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
              Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.

              We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.

              Allison

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

              > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

            • Jules Bender
              Message 6 of 16 , Jul 1 10:37 AM
                Allison, I had a similar problem about 5 years ago...in my case the problem was with the original oil water separator that came with the boat....the intake line  to the separator that came from the fuel tank had a one way valve and the valve was gunked up....I replaced the oil/water separator with better one and haven't had a problem since.....hope this helps....Jules

                On Sun, Jun 30, 2013 at 10:54 PM, Allison <allisonleh@...> wrote:

                Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
                Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.

                We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.

                Allison

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

                > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

              • Dan Trainor
                Message 7 of 16 , Jul 1 11:04 AM
                  Problem is the problem could be any one of many things along the length of fuel line.  So, unfortunatlely, you may have to systematically go through each stage/line (from tank to injectore) and verify flow and work your way through.  Or get real lucky by guessing.  Personally,Fuel Polishing would be last on my list - if you in fact have a fuel contamination problem.  Dan

                  --
                  Dan
                • Allison Lehman
                  Message 8 of 16 , Jul 1 12:19 PM
                    Jules did you have a racor filter from the factory?

                    Allison

                    Sent from my iPad

                    Message 9 of 16 , Jul 1 12:49 PM
                      Yes, there's a ball valve that is on the input side, if it's the same problem you can take the valve apart and clean out the gunk.....good luck....Jules

                      Message 10 of 16 , Jul 1 1:39 PM
                        Dan,

                        It is my understanding that due to the fact that we keep a boat in the water 365 days a yr we tend to get condensation in the fuel tank which ultimately leads to many issues.  This is common here.  There are a few things you can do to minimize the problems like keeping your tank topped up, and adding biocide.  What happens is you get condensation, then algae and bacterial grow on the first warm spell, then you go out in lumpy conditions and the crud breaks loose from the tank and  begins to try travel thru your fuel system.  We use  a 2 micron filter o. Our racor so that we do t have to replace the filter on the block as often (a real pain).  So, no matter where the blockage is, it is most likely originating from the tank.  The process of polishing the fuel runs all of your fuel from your tank thru 2 filters several times and then returns it to the tank under high pressure.  The hope is that you can "clean" the walls a bit with the high pressure and then filter the crap out.

                        Sent from my iPhone

                        Message 11 of 16 , Jul 1 3:29 PM
                          Hi Allison, I am thinking you can confirm fuel quality by checking your 2 micon filter and see how much gunk it caught.  Dan

                          On Mon, Jul 1, 2013 at 4:39 PM, Allison Lehman <allisonleh@...> wrote:

> [...]

                          We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.

                          Allison

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:

                          > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

                        • rayjanine2002
                          Message 12 of 16 , Jul 1 6:22 PM
                            Hi Allison:

                            Sorry to hear about your fuel starvation issue. During my sea trial prior to buying my 1993 boat in 2010 the engine stalled at full throttle. It would run at half throttle but at full throttle it would die. I had the fuel tank polished and also had the fuel filters (primary and secondary) removed and replaced. For the rest of the season I had no problems at any power settings. I then took the boat from LI Sound (Huntington Harbor) thru the East River, under the Verizano Bridge and back into Jones Inlet. The weather was really bad with 10 to 14ft seas (was supposed to be just 5 to 7) in the Atlantic between the Verizano and Jones Inlet with gusts to 40 mph. About 1 hr into the high seas, my engine quit.. The wind was from the quarter aft right side so even without the engine I was able to maintain almost 8 knots with very little mainsail up. I waited for about an hour and tried to restart my engine. It started thank God and there was no further issue. When I hauled my boat for the winter I replaced the entire fuel filter system with an updated Racor Turbine filter (I posted pictures of my new filter on this forum), drained my tank completely, removed the fuel quantity gage and via that 3 inch diameter hole, put a rag on the end of a pole and swabbed out the bottom of my tank. There was muck on the rag and I used many rags to get all the muck out of my tank. That was two years ago with multiple outings in fairly large seas and no further issue. I think you may have the same issue in your tank. The muck on the bottom is getting into the fuel pickup tube blocking the fuel flow. I do not know if there is a screen on the bottom of the fuel pickup tube.

                            Good luck and hopefully you fix the problem.

                            Ray
                          • Rob
                            Message 13 of 16 , Jul 1 6:45 PM
                              I don't have a 362 just a 36, 88 vintage and I have had this problem and I did run a thick wire down the fuel tank pickup pipe to dislodge a screen or a blockage..but what needs to happen sooner or later, you chose, is the tank has to be cleaned. Fuel dumped and new put in.

                              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Charles Sidwa <ChasSidwa@...> wrote:

                              > I recall Sabre got rid of the fuel pickup screen, but not sure what year, my 89 34 didn't have one. While out of your home harbor I would try turning the fuel shut of valve off and on a few times while running the engine and maybe dislodge a blockage.
                              >
                              > Charlie
                              >
                              > Sent from my iPhone
                              >
                              > On Jul 1, 2013, at 1:54 AM, "Allison" <allisonleh@...> wrote:
                              >
                              > > Ok so we have been safely anchored and enjoying the hot weather and swimming but it is time to get down to business and figure out what is going on the the engine/fuel starvation.
                              > > Has anyone with a 362 looked at their their fuel intake? The captain says it is very difficult to take the cover off and he doesn't think there is an inspection port on it. His big question is does the 362 have a screen on the uptake? Unlike a typical filter clog, our problem is intermittent. With a filter clog, usually once the engine shuts down it won't restart. When I posted last we were giving it a second chance and we got several hrs almost completely trouble free. A couple times the RPMs began to drop and he we to neutral immediately to take the load off and then he would rev it. It would work so we limped into our anchorage.
                              > >
                              > > We are now formulating a plan. First off we are 60 miles from home:-( so we are missing a lot of tools. We are thinking of trying to get the fuel polished first off. The replacing both filters and the wait and see. The one nagging thing is this whole screen thingy. Jules, Ray do you guys know it the factory installed a screen on the uptake? Any other 362ers please feel free to share your experiences.
                              > >
                              > > Allison
                              > >
                              > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Allison" <allisonleh@> wrote:
                              > > >
                              > > > We are on our way to the Deltas for the 4th and after motoring for 6 hrs engine started dying. Fuel starvation. This after reading everyone posting about the fuel shut off valve and me reading abouut them thinking, well ours is just fine....NOT! Evidently after playing with the valve, all is well again, I hope!

                            • Allison
                              Message 14 of 16 , Jul 20 7:50 PM
                                Hi Ray,
                                We are re-visiting the old Racor location/size thing. I was wondering if you could tell me how much clearance you have below your filter now. By looking at the pics I assume it is mounted on stbd and the top just barely clears the engine bonnet, is that correct?

                                Allison