Holding tank ventilation

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
      We are enjoying our second season sailing our S34-2 and have been making progress on dealing with holding tank odors.

      Next step is to increase airflow to the tank. I have cleaned the existing thin vent line and have read about how others have replaced or added large diameter hoses which was a bigger task than I had time to tackle this past winter.

      As a quick interim measure I was wondering if people ever remove the deck cap cover while not on the boat. Out boat is moored (so no neighbors to offend) and we mostly sail on weekends so my thought is that I could advantage of the existing pump out hose to increase ventilation during the week. And any rain water that were to enter would be minimal and if anything help to clean things out before the next pump out.

      Curious if anyone does this or tried this and what were the results.
    • JohnF
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
        If the end of the hose is submerged in "stuff" I doubt you could introduce enough oxygen or encourage enough ventilation to make a difference. If your tank is basically empty and you are combating residual odors maybe its worth a try, but of course you are going to collect rain water and eventually that hose is going to be submerged in the tank.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Phil" <pporesky@...> wrote:

        > We are enjoying our second season sailing our S34-2 and have been making progress on dealing with holding tank odors.
        >
        > Next step is to increase airflow to the tank. I have cleaned the existing thin vent line and have read about how others have replaced or added large diameter hoses which was a bigger task than I had time to tackle this past winter.
        >
        > As a quick interim measure I was wondering if people ever remove the deck cap cover while not on the boat. Out boat is moored (so no neighbors to offend) and we mostly sail on weekends so my thought is that I could advantage of the existing pump out hose to increase ventilation during the week. And any rain water that were to enter would be minimal and if anything help to clean things out before the next pump out.
        >
        > Curious if anyone does this or tried this and what were the results.

      • Skip Hardy
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
          Have you looked into using a filter in the vent line? We installed the one that they sell at West Marine. It prevents odors escaping from the vent. It works great. No odors even when we were cruising for 8 months. No more warning the people in the cockpit that you're about to flush!

          Fair winds ~~~~(\_~~~~Harriet and Skip, sv Moondance.
        • Barend Brink
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
            Before you leave the boat, pour fresh water in the toilet bowl and flush.  Something that Peggy suggested on an older post and it works VERY well.  I use the shower head as it extends far enough to reach the bowl.

            //Barend (Yen Shon, 1989 S34II #376)

            To: Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
            From: jl_folk@...
            Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 12:24:46 +0000
            Subject: [SabreSailboat] Re: Holding tank ventilation

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 19, 2013
              Thanks for the thoughts and different ideas. It gives me a few things to try.