Re: [SabreSailboat] Software

  • Dave Evans
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      I've used Garmin's MapSource throughout the GPS era. It's been fine for adding and adjusting waypoints. It can create routes, but I did it once and have used waypoints alone since then. Figure if I can't figure out how to get from one to the next, I should stay ashore. And sailing, one can't often follow the line, anyway! When cruising, we often determine the next day's destination the night before.

      Not sure how it works in this era of pre-loaded charts. I still have my BlueCharts on CD to work from.

      dge

      On 6/18/2013 4:15 PM, George Homme wrote:

      I like NavTech’s software and have used it for years. It’s a great bang for your buck.

      http://www.maptechnavigation.com/water/chartNavigator/index.cfm

      I have used this OPEN (free) software and it works:

      http://opencpn.org/ocpn/

      Most sophist icated and expensive and hardest to learn:

      http://www.maxsea.com/products/software/timezero_navigator

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        I've been at this for some time, and my preferences have changed considerably.

        A decade or so ago I wrote my own charting software using BSB charts.  When NOAA made these charts available for free download, it was wonderful.  I posted an installation kit to the Sabre site a half dozen years ago.  I still use and maintain the software, though going from a single GPS connection to four serial connections complicated things a bit, and I haven't maintained a public version.

        While I still have the PC software working on the boat computer tied to the Raymarine chartplotter(s), I find myself doing trip planning on an iPad with Navionics that, when done, syncs to the Raymarine MFDs.  My software is, perhaps, a tad easier to use, more versatile, and more powerful, the utter convenience of an iPad is hard to beat.

        I can't leave the topic without gripping about the current generation of Garmin stuff.  Garmin marine electronics once supported several published protocols for uploading and downloading routes and waypoints from a PC.  Four or five years ago, some idiot at Garmin decided that the PC was their enemy, and excised route and waypoint transfer from PCs (detail: Garmn protocol is no longer supported and NMEA 183 route transfer statements are not supported).  I have an all  Garmin airplane, which I love, and a no-Garmin boat.

        I don't think there is anything you can do on a PC that will work well with any Garmin marine product.  Garmin has decided that all they will support is:

             1.  Export waypoints and routes from a PC package to a "standard" file format.
             2.  Import the file into a Garmin proprietary program.
             3.  Use the Garmin transfer program to write to an SD card.
             4.  Unmount the SD card from the PC
             5.  Move the SD card to the Garmin chart plotter.
             6.  Power cycle the Garmin chart plotter to recognize the SD card.
             7.  Import the SD card data.

        This sucks.  Or, to be more positive, this is a broad endorsement of Raymarine's PC friendly, (semi-) open architecture.

        If anyone is interested, I could update my installation procedure and make my stuff available to the list.  But making a god forsaken Garmin MFD PC friendly is beyond my abilities.

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
            a buddy has a collar for his wayward husky.  He set the perimeter into the collar.
            If the dog gets loose and leaves the defined area, it starts to get shocked.  So the dog knows to run home in order to stop it.

            My guess is they modified that design to trigger on barking to expand their product line, as it is not much difference.

            gps manufacturers are in trouble as they now need to compete with $5 cell phone apps.

            I am amazed at the overhaul going on at Raymarine. Flir is investing some serious coin and new products are flying out the door.  And they are backward compatible with at least 1 generation of old gear, and sometimes 2.

            Good news for us mariners.

            john

            Sent from Windows Mail

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
              Garmin has real problems for growth.  They have three main markets:  automotive, aircraft, and marine.  The automotive market is in serious danger of disappearing -- between mobile devices and integrated systems, there just aren't any bucks left there.  On the other hand, Garmin avionics have captured everything from the Cessna 172 to mid-size biz jets.  Their innovation and quality has left the rest of the industry gasping for air.  Which leave marine, their initial market.  Their offering have been OK, but they are competing on price, not quality, with Raymarine, which is getting massive investment from their new owner, FLIR.

              The deeper problem is that all of their smart guys have moved to the avionics division leaving the idiots to run the marine product line.  Putting marine product development in Kansas, for god's sakes, is typical of their marine marketing prowess.

              Under contemporary capitalism, a company is rewarded more for growth than return on investment.  It shouldn't be the least bit surprising that Garmin is chasing ludicrous markets looking for growth.

              Personally, I did a Google search for GPS dog collars about a month ago.  Now, no matter where on the web I go, I get an ad for Garmin GPS dog collars.  Each ad is probably costing Garmin $3 to $4 dollars.  I don't do stock market, but if I did, I'd short Garmin.

              Disclosure: My Gruman Tiger has an all Garmin cockpit and I love it.  My previous boat (an S36) had a Garmin 4212, and I hated it.  My current boat is 100% Raymarine, and despite some grumblings aboutthe E7's less than optimal use of screen realestate, it's damn good stuff, all-in-all.