Re: [SabreSailboat] Raytheon repair

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      If I remember correctly, that vintage of Raytheon/Raymarine radars were made by JRC (Japanese Radio Corporation).  Raymarine and JRC subsequently had a messy divorce, and JRC cut off Raymarine's access to parts, which, not surprisingly, are hard to come by.  You should check with Raymarine, but I doubt they will want to take it on.

      That said, there are gobs of scanners kicking around the web as working units are swapped out in favor of more modern gear.  I'd look around for a replacement rather than paying someone to troubleshoot an elderly complex piece of gear.

      And, as it turns out, I have a scanner of that vintage in my attic.  I'm off on a cruise, so I can't check the model number, but it was a Pathfinder 4kw 24" scanner.  I won't be back for at least another week, so if you're in a hurry, better check elsewhere.

      On Jun 18, 2013, at 8:06 AM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:

      Anyone have experience with Raytheon/Raymarine repair in Nashua?
      I have a broken SL-70 radar scanner & they don't seem to return phone calls or emails. I'd at least like to know their policy regarding the cost for a bench check or CB repair.
      Thanks,
      Phil Horn
      Scimitar
      S34 #67

    • Phil
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        Thanks Jim,
        My dome is 2KW & have already purchased a used replacement unit.
        I'd like to repair my broken unit to sell to recoup my costs & I'm an ex Navy radar/navigation technician, so I'm doing the
        troubleshooting myself. I have a good idea where the problem is,
        but there aren't any schematics available, so I'd like to at least know Raymarine's repair policies. I know these units are still
        supported, but it's difficult when they won't respond.

        Best Regards, Phil
        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

        > If I remember correctly, that vintage of Raytheon/Raymarine radars were made by JRC (Japanese Radio Corporation). Raymarine and JRC subsequently had a messy divorce, and JRC cut off Raymarine's access to parts, which, not surprisingly, are hard to come by. You should check with Raymarine, but I doubt they will want to take it on.
        >
        > That said, there are gobs of scanners kicking around the web as working units are swapped out in favor of more modern gear. I'd look around for a replacement rather than paying someone to troubleshoot an elderly complex piece of gear.
        >
        > And, as it turns out, I have a scanner of that vintage in my attic. I'm off on a cruise, so I can't check the model number, but it was a Pathfinder 4kw 24" scanner. I won't be back for at least another week, so if you're in a hurry, better check elsewhere.
        >

        > On Jun 18, 2013, at 8:06 AM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Anyone have experience with Raytheon/Raymarine repair in Nashua?
        > > I have a broken SL-70 radar scanner & they don't seem to return phone calls or emails. I'd at least like to know their policy regarding the cost for a bench check or CB repair.
        > > Thanks,
        > > Phil Horn
        > > Scimitar
        > > S34 #67

      • John Kalinowski
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          Call support line on their web site and wait or better get into their web forum where they respond within hours

          1 thing to think about is how much effort is it worth?  The old stuff does not work with the new chart plotters and chart plotter/radar packages are selling cheap if you can get by without HD

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
            Raymarine has rarely, if ever, supported field repairs, so best of luck on the schematics.

            My guess is that Raymarine is having trouble finding somebody who will take the heat for saying "absolutely not!"  I've usually gone through a dealer for repairs, but what warranty work I've handled myself have been satisfactory but not timely.  But if it isn't immediately required to find the bozo in the powerboat who's about to ram you in the fog, keep after 'em.  Have you tried emails?  They have a pretty solid ticket tracking system that would be hard to ignore.

            On Jun 18, 2013, at 10:04 AM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:

            Thanks Jim,
            My dome is 2KW & have already purchased a used replacement unit.
            I'd like to repair my broken unit to sell to recoup my costs & I'm an ex Navy radar/navigation technician, so I'm doing the
            troubleshooting myself. I have a good idea where the problem is,
            but there aren't any schematics available, so I'd like to at least know Raymarine's repair policies. I know these units are still
            supported, but it's difficult when they won't respond.

            Best Regards, Phil
            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

            > If I remember correctly, that vintage of Raytheon/Raymarine radars were made by JRC (Japanese Radio Corporation). Raymarine and JRC subsequently had a messy divorce, and JRC cut off Raymarine's access to parts, which, not surprisingly, are hard to come by. You should check with Raymarine, but I doubt they will want to take it on.
            >
            > That said, there are gobs of scanners kicking around the web as working units are swapped out in favor of more modern gear. I'd look around for a replacement rather than paying someone to troubleshoot an elderly complex piece of gear.
            >
            > And, as it turns out, I have a scanner of that vintage in my attic. I'm off on a cruise, so I can't check the model number, but it was a Pathfinder 4kw 24" scanner. I won't be back for at least another week, so if you're in a hurry, better check elsewhere.
            >

            > On Jun 18, 2013, at 8:06 AM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:
            >
            > > Anyone have experience with Raytheon/Raymarine repair in Nashua?
            > > I have a broken SL-70 radar scanner & they don't seem to return phone calls or emails. I'd at least like to know their policy regarding the cost for a bench check or CB repair.
            > > Thanks,
            > > Phil Horn
            > > Scimitar
            > > S34 #67

          • Brooks Wright
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
              Phil,
              Two years ago I took a '99 Raymarine wind speed unit up to Nashua. They
              tested it and replaced the board for $250. They also gave me a new cable at
              no charge. This year I took my '99 auto helm unit up to be tested and they shipped
              it back to me with an okay on the unit and didn't charge me anything, not even the
              shipping.

              Brooks

              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                Thanks everyone for your help!
                It's funny Jim because I bought & installed the radar after a bozo in a powerboat (not even at the helm) almost
                ran me over in the fog! This thing may not be worth messing with, but I'll check out Raymarine's forum, or bring the
                unit to Nashua.    Phil

              • sabre32sailor
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                  raymarine technical forum  is buried on their site.
                  Here is the link for any of you who need it.

                  Tons of great information out there.

                  Sent from Windows Mail