Re: [SabreSailboat] New 34-2 owner

  • Scott
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 17, 2013
      TIA KK

      Welcome to Sabre ownership. Feel free to ask many questions. You can't learn if you don't ask, it's a good group here.

      I'm in Maine, so I can't help you with the Florida contacts...

      I have a couple websites to recommend that are often referenced in conversations.
      The first one is a group members' site. (posted with assumed permission from Dick Coerse.) The second is an electronics site, and the third is a contributor to the group with a commercial operation in Maine.
      Other group members can recommend more links.

      Scott
      After Midnight
      '89 34 MkII (Targa model) #387

      On Jun 17, 2013, at 8:06 PM, Phred wrote:

      Hi All Y'all

      Just Bought a 34-2. She is still in New Port Richey and I'm in Tallahassee. My plan is to get her fixed up a little and then sail up here and get a slip in St Marks or Shell Point. I have downloaded the users manual from the files section, but I still have a whole bunch of questions. It has had some storm damage and probably had almost 6 inches of water inside, so you can imagine the work I need to do before sailing. I need help finding a competent engine mechanic in the Tampa area who can help me get the westerbeke working before attempting to bring her up. I'd also like to see some sort of running rigging diagram AND find a rigging shop in the tampa area to replace some of the lines.

      My previous sailboat was a DelRay 24 which I sailed out of Long Beach, CA. I donated that to BSA about 18 years ago and the only boat I've had since is a Hobie 18, now on the beach in Shell Point.

      Please be gentle, cause I'm gonna ask some stupid questions...

      TIA KK

    • bruixa1
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        Welcome to the gang, where there's no such thing as a stupid question. I should know because I've asked some doozies and answers are always supportive, informative and timely answers.
        cheers
        Elisa

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Phred" <kaptnknemo@...> wrote:

        > Hi All Y'all
        >
        > Just Bought a 34-2. She is still in New Port Richey and I'm in Tallahassee. My plan is to get her fixed up a little and then sail up here and get a slip in St Marks or Shell Point. I have downloaded the users manual from the files section, but I still have a whole bunch of questions. It has had some storm damage and probably had almost 6 inches of water inside, so you can imagine the work I need to do before sailing. I need help finding a competent engine mechanic in the Tampa area who can help me get the westerbeke working before attempting to bring her up. I'd also like to see some sort of running rigging diagram AND find a rigging shop in the tampa area to replace some of the lines.
        >
        > My previous sailboat was a DelRay 24 which I sailed out of Long Beach, CA. I donated that to BSA about 18 years ago and the only boat I've had since is a Hobie 18, now on the beach in Shell Point.
        >
        > Please be gentle, cause I'm gonna ask some stupid questions...
        >
        > TIA KK

      • Alan Pressman
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          Phred,

          Congratulations on your Sabre 34.  In the South Tampa Bay area, try Greg Runkle of Runkle Diesel.  He's in Bradenton but may travel.  941-751-2886.

          There is a good St Pete Westerbeke dealer for parts and may have a recommended mobile mechanic they can recommend;

          Yacht Power Products 1510 -1st Avenue NorthSt. Petersburg 727-822-2628N61801@...

          For Rigging, try JSI;  http://www.newjsi.com/rigging.aspx

          Enjoy the boat!

          Alan
          Windswept S 34 #430
          Sarasota, FL

          On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 8:06 PM, Phred <kaptnknemo@...> wrote:

[...]

        • mookiesurfs
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
            Congratulations on your new Sabre!

            Plan that crossing carefully; it's offshore all the way from Cedar Key to Carabelle. A beautiful trip, but hurricane prone in Aug Sep Oct. It's a lot of open water. I was out there one year, enjoying the wind from hurricane Barry when Barry did not turn as predicted, and had to run upwind into Cedar Key. I would not recommend Cedar Key, btw. It has a Byzantine channel, no dockage, and poor holding. From Anclote/Tarpon Springs you can run up to Crystal River, which is a little over developed but secure. The Withlacootchie River is beautiful, also. Then, it's open water across Florida's 'big bend' to Carabelle. You will need to watch out for oil rigs along the way. Personally, St Marks to the Withlacootchie is some of my favorite Florida, and beautiful sailing. You will probably not find a better source of info in the Tampa area than Alan, who has already responded to you. He is the best.

            Bill B

            Sent from an elegant interface with limited functionality, while traveling

[...]

          • Phred
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
              Thanks

              Looks like I'm gonna need a boatyard in the tampa area to haul and paint, hopefully a place that allows DIY'ers. Anyone know anywhere?
            • Dan Trainor
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                Welcome to the Group!  No such thing as a stupid question.  We have all been through it.  Take it one step at a time, ask all the questions and enjoy the process and the Sabre 34 - it is a really really fine boat.  Dan

                --
                Dan
              • Alan Pressman
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
                  In the Tampa Bay area there is Morgan's Salt Creek in St Pete.  Jim Bradford was running things last time I was there.  They were a do it yourself yard if you bought the paint from them. 727-895-4481.

                  At the mouth of the Manatee river is the old Boca del Rio marina which is still a DIY yard.  It was "Rivertown" and now called Blenker Boat Yard at; 2504 88th Street Ct NW, Bradenton, FL 34209
                  (941) 761-2662

                  They always allowed you do to your own paint, etc. but haven't been up there since the last change of ownership.

                  Check it out.

                  Alan

                  On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 2:32 PM, Phred <kaptnknemo@...> wrote:

                  Thanks

                  Looks like I'm gonna need a boatyard in the tampa area to haul and paint, hopefully a place that allows DIY'ers. Anyone know anywhere?

                  --
                  Alan Pressman
                  Grand Slam Yacht Sales
                  Licensed and Bonded Yacht Brokers
                  Member Florida Yacht Brokers Association
                  Cortez Cove Boatyard
                  4522 121st Street West,
                  PO Box 466
                  Cortez, FL 34215
                  Phone; 941-350-1559
                  Toll Free Fax: 866-334-6443
                  AlanGSYS@...
                  www.grandslamyachtsales.com
                  skype: alan.pressman

                  Offering Sabre Sailing Yachts, Delphia Yachts and Novatec Motor Yachts