Re: Compass Replacement S 30 MK III

  • Kevin
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
      Wow thanks guys.

      I just looked at the prices of those fancy compasses whew I had no idea.

      Kevin

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <Khartz86@...> wrote:

      > Good day,
      >
      > I hope everyone had a good weekend.
      >
      > We did, even though when I removed the compass cover I discovered all the fluid had drained out.
      >
      > Since I have been wanting to switch out the yellowed plastic mount with stainless I guess this is the time I will replace it all.
      >
      > What size compass is appropriate to fit in replacement of the old ritchie?
      >
      > Suggestions on style as well would be helpful, too. I have seen some with a full stainless cover and sliding door and some that are of the more open type like the old ritchie
      >
      > Are there differences in brands of compasses?
      >
      > Any other things to fix while I have it apart?
      >
      > Any tips or suggestions for those of you who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Thanks for your time.
      >

      > Kevin

    • genkinyc
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
        You might try Acetone on the plastic compass base, it removed all the yellow on mine and restored it back to white.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

        > Gordon did mine last year. It came back like a new compass for $150. They
        > are an authorized Ritchie servicer. Also, if your pedestal is yellow, you
        > can paint it with Fusion, or call Edson. They will probably replace it, per
        > the owner. He said they had a bad run of plastic for a while.
        > Pete
        >

        > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM, Ed Flanagan <brugh100@...> wrote:
        >
        > > **
        > >

        > > Kevin, I sent my compass back to Ritchie and they refurbed it for small
        > > money and it looks new, I thought it was a hell of a deal. I also did the
        > > yellow piece of plastic and painted it with Fusion paint, it also looks
        > > new. Call Ritchie they were really good on turn around and customer
        > > service.
        > >

        > > On Mon, Jun 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM, Kevin <Khartz86@...> wrote:
        > >
        > >> **
        > >>

        > >> Good day,
        > >>
        > >> I hope everyone had a good weekend.
        > >>
        > >> We did, even though when I removed the compass cover I discovered all the
        > >> fluid had drained out.
        > >>
        > >> Since I have been wanting to switch out the yellowed plastic mount with
        > >> stainless I guess this is the time I will replace it all.
        > >>
        > >> What size compass is appropriate to fit in replacement of the old ritchie?
        > >>
        > >> Suggestions on style as well would be helpful, too. I have seen some with
        > >> a full stainless cover and sliding door and some that are of the more open
        > >> type like the old ritchie
        > >>
        > >> Are there differences in brands of compasses?
        > >>
        > >> Any other things to fix while I have it apart?
        > >>
        > >> Any tips or suggestions for those of you who have been down this road
        > >> would be greatly appreciated.
        > >>
        > >> Thanks for your time.
        > >>
        > >> Kevin
        > >>

        > > --
        > > Edward Flanagan
        > > 585-330-6154

      • John Kalinowski
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
          A lot of us mid 80s owners have models Ritchie no longer rebuilds

          Call before mailing it on

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Jun 17, 2013, at 10:28 PM, Peter Tollini <sabre30@...> wrote:

          Kevin-
          Have a Ritchie authorized rebuilder do the compass. It will look and perform like new for @ $150.  You can paint the yellow base with Krylon Fusion paint (small $$) or get a stainless replacement from Edson (big$$).
          Pete

[...]

        • JOHN CALLIS
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
            Kevin

            Check EBAY.  I replaced my old plastic compass with a beautiful Stainless Richie for $150.00.

            Also check with marine consignment shops.

            John
            S34 MKII

            On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Kevin wrote:

               Wow thanks guys.

            I just looked at the prices of those fancy compasses whew I had no idea.

            Kevin

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <Khartz86@...> wrote:

            > Good day,
            >
            > I hope everyone had a good weekend.
            >
            > We did, even though when I removed the compass cover I discovered all the fluid had drained out.
            >
            > Since I have been wanting to switch out the yellowed plastic mount with stainless I guess this is the time I will replace it all.
            >
            > What size compass is appropriate to fit in replacement of the old ritchie?
            >
            > Suggestions on style as well would be helpful, too.  I have seen some with a full stainless cover and sliding door and some that are of the more open type like the old ritchie
            >
            > Are there differences in brands of compasses?
            >
            > Any other things to fix while I have it apart?
            >
            > Any tips or suggestions for those of you who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.
            >
            > Thanks for your time.
            >

            > Kevin

          • Mike Merriman
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013

               I've got a compass for sale if interested.

              Mike Merriman

              On 06/18/13, JOHN CALLIS<jsts@...> wrote:

              Kevin

              Check EBAY.  I replaced my old plastic compass with a beautiful Stainless Richie for $150.00.

              Also check with marine consignment shops.

              John
              S34 MKII

              On Tue, Jun 18, 2013 at 8:36 AM, Kevin wrote:

                 Wow thanks guys.

              I just looked at the prices of those fancy compasses whew I had no idea.

              Kevin

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Kevin" <Khartz86@...> wrote:

              > Good day,
              >
              > I hope everyone had a good weekend.
              >
              > We did, even though when I removed the compass cover I discovered all the fluid had drained out.
              >
              > Since I have been wanting to switch out the yellowed plastic mount with stainless I guess this is the time I will replace it all.
              >
              > What size compass is appropriate to fit in replacement of the old ritchie?
              >
              > Suggestions on style as well would be helpful, too.  I have seen some with a full stainless cover and sliding door and some that are of the more open type like the old ritchie
              >
              > Are there differences in brands of compasses?
              >
              > Any other things to fix while I have it apart?
              >
              > Any tips or suggestions for those of you who have been down this road would be greatly appreciated.
              >
              > Thanks for your time.
              >

              > Kevin

            • Dan Trainor
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 18, 2013
                I also got mine rebuilt  and it came out looking and operating brand new.  And also used the fusion paint.  Forget what I paid, but it must have been less $, if I recall.

                --
                Dan