Raytheon repair

  • Phil
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
      Anyone have experience with Raytheon/Raymarine repair in Nashua?
      I have a broken SL-70 radar scanner & they don't seem to return phone calls or emails. I'd at least like to know their policy regarding the cost for a bench check or CB repair.
      Thanks,
      Phil Horn
      Scimitar
      S34 #67
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
        If I remember correctly, that vintage of Raytheon/Raymarine radars were made by JRC (Japanese Radio Corporation).  Raymarine and JRC subsequently had a messy divorce, and JRC cut off Raymarine's access to parts, which, not surprisingly, are hard to come by.  You should check with Raymarine, but I doubt they will want to take it on.

        That said, there are gobs of scanners kicking around the web as working units are swapped out in favor of more modern gear.  I'd look around for a replacement rather than paying someone to troubleshoot an elderly complex piece of gear.

        And, as it turns out, I have a scanner of that vintage in my attic.  I'm off on a cruise, so I can't check the model number, but it was a Pathfinder 4kw 24" scanner.  I won't be back for at least another week, so if you're in a hurry, better check elsewhere.

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
          Thanks Jim,
          My dome is 2KW & have already purchased a used replacement unit.
          I'd like to repair my broken unit to sell to recoup my costs & I'm an ex Navy radar/navigation technician, so I'm doing the
          troubleshooting myself. I have a good idea where the problem is,
          but there aren't any schematics available, so I'd like to at least know Raymarine's repair policies. I know these units are still
          supported, but it's difficult when they won't respond.

          Best Regards, Phil
          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

          > If I remember correctly, that vintage of Raytheon/Raymarine radars were made by JRC (Japanese Radio Corporation). Raymarine and JRC subsequently had a messy divorce, and JRC cut off Raymarine's access to parts, which, not surprisingly, are hard to come by. You should check with Raymarine, but I doubt they will want to take it on.
          >
          > That said, there are gobs of scanners kicking around the web as working units are swapped out in favor of more modern gear. I'd look around for a replacement rather than paying someone to troubleshoot an elderly complex piece of gear.
          >
          > And, as it turns out, I have a scanner of that vintage in my attic. I'm off on a cruise, so I can't check the model number, but it was a Pathfinder 4kw 24" scanner. I won't be back for at least another week, so if you're in a hurry, better check elsewhere.
          >

          > On Jun 18, 2013, at 8:06 AM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:
          >
          > > Anyone have experience with Raytheon/Raymarine repair in Nashua?
          > > I have a broken SL-70 radar scanner & they don't seem to return phone calls or emails. I'd at least like to know their policy regarding the cost for a bench check or CB repair.
          > > Thanks,
          > > Phil Horn
          > > Scimitar
          > > S34 #67

        • John Kalinowski
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
            Call support line on their web site and wait or better get into their web forum where they respond within hours

            1 thing to think about is how much effort is it worth?  The old stuff does not work with the new chart plotters and chart plotter/radar packages are selling cheap if you can get by without HD

            Sent from my iPhone

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
              Raymarine has rarely, if ever, supported field repairs, so best of luck on the schematics.

              My guess is that Raymarine is having trouble finding somebody who will take the heat for saying "absolutely not!"  I've usually gone through a dealer for repairs, but what warranty work I've handled myself have been satisfactory but not timely.  But if it isn't immediately required to find the bozo in the powerboat who's about to ram you in the fog, keep after 'em.  Have you tried emails?  They have a pretty solid ticket tracking system that would be hard to ignore.

              On Jun 18, 2013, at 10:04 AM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:

              Thanks Jim,
              My dome is 2KW & have already purchased a used replacement unit.
              I'd like to repair my broken unit to sell to recoup my costs & I'm an ex Navy radar/navigation technician, so I'm doing the
              troubleshooting myself. I have a good idea where the problem is,
              but there aren't any schematics available, so I'd like to at least know Raymarine's repair policies. I know these units are still
              supported, but it's difficult when they won't respond.

              Best Regards, Phil
              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

              > If I remember correctly, that vintage of Raytheon/Raymarine radars were made by JRC (Japanese Radio Corporation). Raymarine and JRC subsequently had a messy divorce, and JRC cut off Raymarine's access to parts, which, not surprisingly, are hard to come by. You should check with Raymarine, but I doubt they will want to take it on.
              >
              > That said, there are gobs of scanners kicking around the web as working units are swapped out in favor of more modern gear. I'd look around for a replacement rather than paying someone to troubleshoot an elderly complex piece of gear.
              >
              > And, as it turns out, I have a scanner of that vintage in my attic. I'm off on a cruise, so I can't check the model number, but it was a Pathfinder 4kw 24" scanner. I won't be back for at least another week, so if you're in a hurry, better check elsewhere.
              >

              > On Jun 18, 2013, at 8:06 AM, "Phil" <pj@...> wrote:
              >
              > > Anyone have experience with Raytheon/Raymarine repair in Nashua?
              > > I have a broken SL-70 radar scanner & they don't seem to return phone calls or emails. I'd at least like to know their policy regarding the cost for a bench check or CB repair.
              > > Thanks,
              > > Phil Horn
              > > Scimitar
              > > S34 #67

            • Brooks Wright
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                Phil,
                Two years ago I took a '99 Raymarine wind speed unit up to Nashua. They
                tested it and replaced the board for $250. They also gave me a new cable at
                no charge. This year I took my '99 auto helm unit up to be tested and they shipped
                it back to me with an okay on the unit and didn't charge me anything, not even the
                shipping.

                Brooks

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                  Thanks everyone for your help!
                  It's funny Jim because I bought & installed the radar after a bozo in a powerboat (not even at the helm) almost
                  ran me over in the fog! This thing may not be worth messing with, but I'll check out Raymarine's forum, or bring the
                  unit to Nashua.    Phil

                • sabre32sailor
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 18, 2013
                    raymarine technical forum  is buried on their site.
                    Here is the link for any of you who need it.

                    Tons of great information out there.

                    Sent from Windows Mail