regatta braid

  • Brooks Wright
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 1 2:45 PM
      I got my 7/16 regatta braid from APS to replace our old mainsheet and was surprised to see how
      thick it looked. Even my wife said it looks way thicker than the old one. I measured it
      and it was either 1/2" or 9/16" depending on whether or not you stretch it or not while measuring.
      To check it against a 7/16 regatta braid at West Marine would mean a half hour drive so I'm
      wondering if it sounds right that it would be that much thicker until it's used and stretches out.
      Don't want to call APS and ship it back unless I'm sure. I'm aware, of course, that there's nothing
      wrong with 1/2" if that's what it is, just that much stronger and easier on the hands. Maybe I
      should just be glad I got the 1/2" line for the 7/16" price.

      Brooks Wright

    • Nick Sands
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 1 3:21 PM

        I have just replaced our original (probably 1997 vintage) mainsheet with RegattaBraid and I agree with you on the apparent thickness.  Only sailed with it once so far but one unexpected consequence appears that it’s a bit slippery on the winch – I needed 5 wraps yesterday to grind the main in.  I’m hoping that with a bit of wear it will get more grippy … anyone else noticed this?

        Nick