Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Suggested stop overs CT/Long island on way to buzzards bay

  • Dave Evans
    Message 1 of 15 , May 31, 2013
      We stopped in North Cove years ago, bringing our pre-Sabre boat up from Perth Amboy. We'd been in Port Jeff and then stopped in Old Saybrook on one of the YC moorings. Very nice spot. The next night we were at Cuttyhunk and felt back home.
      dge

      Sent from my iPhone 5.

      On May 31, 2013, at 10:13 PM, andrew johnson <andydavidjohnson@...> wrote:

      North Cove in Old Saybrook is well sheltered and has free moorings that are run by the yacht club there.  I think they charge $10 or $20 to go ashore and use their facilities.

      It was dredged a couple of years ago.

      Andy
      Maine Road S28

      Sent from my iPhone

      On May 31, 2013, at 10:01 PM, "Yahoo" <forty_shrimps@...> wrote:

      I've only ever been to West harbor on Fishers which is the main harbor on the island.  You can pick up a mooring--I think after a certain time at night it's unlikely they will come by to charge you-- or anchor just before the mooring field.  If you're running out of daylight Old Saybrook is a good fall back.  I would suspect at this time of year finding a mooring won't be a problem.  Not sure where you would anchor there if you had to.

      As Carter mentioned be very careful navigating around Fishers given the rocks but it's well marked and the harbor is easy to access.

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 31, 2013, at 9:36 PM, "navip11" <navip11@...> wrote:

      Hi Rob,

      Thanks for the reply.

      I took a peak at the charts, we are going to shoot for Fishers, it may end up being a bit too far, unless we get favorable winds. If we do make it up where do you recommend we drop a hook/pick up a mooring? Any trouble spots to watch out for?

      Old saybrook looks to be about 45 miles from our location and a good option. Same questions as above!

      Thank you,

      AJ

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Yahoo <forty_shrimps@...> wrote:

      > I'm based in Westport... 15 miles NW of Port Jeff....
      >
      > My usual stops on the way to Nantucket are
      > Old Saybrook, very nice, protected inlet, lots of moorings
      > Fishers Island, beautiful place, pick up a mooring or drop hook
      > Block Island
      > Cuttyhunk
      > Hadley Harbor
      >
      > all of these are among my favorite places on earth
      >
      > If you're going to try to make Fishers which is a decent sail from Port Jeff make sure you won't be fighting the current in the race
      >
      > Rob
      > S362 Tash
      >
      > Sent from my iPad
      >
      > On May 31, 2013, at 6:37 PM, "navip11" <navip11@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Anyone have a suggested stop over on the way to buzzards bay? We are currently staying the night in port jefferson, NY. We are set to leave tomorrow morning heading east. Does anyone have a suggested stop to drop a hook or pick up a mooring? Something isolated is fine provided there is good holding.
      > >
      > > Thanks!
      > >
      > > Aj

    • navip11
      Message 2 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
        Hi all,

        We sailed into Fisher's Island West harbor at about 4pm without a hitch. Off to Gosnold tomorrow, wish we had more time!

        Thanks to all who replied.

        Aj

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dave Evans <dave@...> wrote:

        > We stopped in North Cove years ago, bringing our pre-Sabre boat up from Perth Amboy. We'd been in Port Jeff and then stopped in Old Saybrook on one of the YC moorings. Very nice spot. The next night we were at Cuttyhunk and felt back home.
        > dge
        >
        > Sent from my iPhone 5.
        >
        > On May 31, 2013, at 10:13 PM, andrew johnson <andydavidjohnson@...> wrote:
        >
        > > North Cove in Old Saybrook is well sheltered and has free moorings that are run by the yacht club there. I think they charge $10 or $20 to go ashore and use their facilities.
        > >
        > > It was dredged a couple of years ago.
        > >
        > > Andy
        > > Maine Road S28
        > >

        > > Sent from my iPhone
        > >
        > > On May 31, 2013, at 10:01 PM, "Yahoo" <forty_shrimps@...> wrote:
        > >

        > >> I've only ever been to West harbor on Fishers which is the main harbor on the island. You can pick up a mooring--I think after a certain time at night it's unlikely they will come by to charge you-- or anchor just before the mooring field. If you're running out of daylight Old Saybrook is a good fall back. I would suspect at this time of year finding a mooring won't be a problem. Not sure where you would anchor there if you had to.
        > >>
        > >> As Carter mentioned be very careful navigating around Fishers given the rocks but it's well marked and the harbor is easy to access.
        > >>
        > >> Sent from my iPad

      • Yahoo
        Message 3 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013
          That's great. Was on the sound myself today, albeit only for a few hours.  Plenty of wind today. You certainly made good time. Never stopped at Gosnold, would love to read a review.

          Rob

          Sent from my iPad

        • Carter Brey
          Message 4 of 15 , Jun 1, 2013

            That's great! I was out for a few hours this afternoon and was thinking that there was probably plenty of wind for you to make Fishers.

            CB