Selden? Boom rigid boom vang bottoms out

  • navip11
    Message 1 of 5 , May 31, 2013
      Hi all,

      I have a new (to me) 386 with a selden rig. My first attempt at flaking on the main wasmt flawless.... The PO had the main halyard acting like a topping lift for the boom, when the halyard was removed to raise the main and the lazy jacks were slack the boom dropped and rested on my not so happy dodger,

      Has anyone experienced this before? Am i missing something? I there an adjustment?
      Checked the Selden Rig manual and couldnt find any adjustment info.

      Appreciate any help!

      AJ
    • Yahoo

        Message 3 of 5 , May 31, 2013
          Do you have a rigid vang? It may need to be adjusted. In fact, on my 34, the "sweet spot" was somewhat elusive. One adjustment hole, it would sit on the dodger, the next higher hole and it would keep me from sheeting properly upwind. I took it apart and put some large thick brass washers inside to give me a "half way" spot, and now it's about perfect!

          Harry

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "navip11" <navip11@...> wrote:

          > Hi all,
          >
          > I have a new (to me) 386 with a selden rig. My first attempt at flaking on the main wasmt flawless.... The PO had the main halyard acting like a topping lift for the boom, when the halyard was removed to raise the main and the lazy jacks were slack the boom dropped and rested on my not so happy dodger,
          >
          > Has anyone experienced this before? Am i missing something? I there an adjustment?
          > Checked the Selden Rig manual and couldnt find any adjustment info.
          >
          > Appreciate any help!
          >
          > AJ

        • navip11
          Message 4 of 5 , May 31, 2013
            Thanks Harry.

            Yes , I have now confirmed it is a selden boom kicker. There didnt appear to be any adjustments on the vang. I think it may be a dead shock as peter suggests. Now to find the literature on taking it apart!

            Message 5 of 5 , May 31, 2013
              My rigid vang has a cross pin that the spring sits on. There are 6 or 8 holes the pin can sit in, allowing height adjustment. Adjustment is critical to function (at least for me!).

              The spring only compresses an inch or so, providing some impact softening, but also providing a very firm end point. When I put the sail away, I sheet the main sheet in fairly hard (maybe a winch, maybe just a firm jerk on the main sheet) and that fully compresses the spring. If you don't have a hard stop, you can keep pulling it down further and further -- full adjustment -- but it never hits the end. I guess if you use the main halyard as a topping lift, that solves the issue.

              I put my main halyard to the rail, resulting in a small humorous story. My surveyor (Hartoft in Annapolis) looked at the main halyard on the rail, and reported that:
              1) I had no main halyard
              2) I had screw shackles in my rigging