Re: Removing the wood panel in the Anchor Locker -- 34-I

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 12 , May 20, 2013
      I have a 34II but the layout sounds similar but ours had screws rather than bolts. Maybe use a nutcracker to split the nuts?
      If your situation is similar to ours you will need to replace some rotten wood.

      Cheers,
      Martin

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@...> wrote:

      > I have a leak I'm finally tracking down on my 34-I. Rain water runs off the anchor locker cover and into the locker. 99% falls to the bottom with no issues. However, in the starboard aft corner, there is large wood block which holds some vents and covers the forepeak water tank fill hose. Water lands on that block, seeps (pours?) aft, and then down to the forepeak bilge area. I can possibly run a bead of caulk along that joint, but I figured I'd pull the whole thing out and take a look.
      >
      > Problem is, the six nuts that hold it in place won't come off. The bolts all rotate. I have no idea how to get to the back side of those bolts.
      >
      > Any suggestions on how to get them off? A thought comes to mind of sawing a slot in the end of the bolts, and putting in a very small screwdriver and backing off the nuts.
      >
      > Harry
      > Analysis
      > '79 S34-I #063
      > Mill Creek, Annapolis

    • JohnF
      Message 2 of 12 , May 21, 2013
        Consider Starboard for the replacement - I was able to trace my old rotted plywood piece. Although caulk / sealant doesn't stick well to Starboard, you can lay down a bead on the bulkhead and effectively create a gasket.

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@...> wrote:

        > I have a leak I'm finally tracking down on my 34-I. Rain water runs off the anchor locker cover and into the locker. 99% falls to the bottom with no issues. However, in the starboard aft corner, there is large wood block which holds some vents and covers the forepeak water tank fill hose. Water lands on that block, seeps (pours?) aft, and then down to the forepeak bilge area. I can possibly run a bead of caulk along that joint, but I figured I'd pull the whole thing out and take a look.
        >
        > Problem is, the six nuts that hold it in place won't come off. The bolts all rotate. I have no idea how to get to the back side of those bolts.
        >
        > Any suggestions on how to get them off? A thought comes to mind of sawing a slot in the end of the bolts, and putting in a very small screwdriver and backing off the nuts.
        >
        > Harry
        > Analysis
        > '79 S34-I #063
        > Mill Creek, Annapolis

      • Carter Brey
        Message 3 of 12 , May 21, 2013

          That's exactly what I did- used the old plywood as a template and cut a duplicate from Starboard. I used butyl tape to make a gasket.

          On my 28 the original was secured with flathead screws set into chamfered holes. I reused them.

          Carter Brey
          S28-II Delphine
          City Island, NY

          Message 4 of 12 , May 22, 2013
            After reading the replies and looking at my box, it must not be original. Bolts, not screws. And solid teak, not plywood! I ran a bead of LifeCaulk along the joint between the deck and the box, and consider this project "done." I'd still like to get it out some day to "open and inspect" but not right now!

            Thanks all,

            Harry

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "JohnF" <jl_folk@...> wrote:

            > Consider Starboard for the replacement - I was able to trace my old rotted plywood piece. Although caulk / sealant doesn't stick well to Starboard, you can lay down a bead on the bulkhead and effectively create a gasket.
            >
            > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@> wrote:
            > >
            > > I have a leak I'm finally tracking down on my 34-I. Rain water runs off the anchor locker cover and into the locker. 99% falls to the bottom with no issues. However, in the starboard aft corner, there is large wood block which holds some vents and covers the forepeak water tank fill hose. Water lands on that block, seeps (pours?) aft, and then down to the forepeak bilge area. I can possibly run a bead of caulk along that joint, but I figured I'd pull the whole thing out and take a look.
            > >
            > > Problem is, the six nuts that hold it in place won't come off. The bolts all rotate. I have no idea how to get to the back side of those bolts.
            > >
            > > Any suggestions on how to get them off? A thought comes to mind of sawing a slot in the end of the bolts, and putting in a very small screwdriver and backing off the nuts.
            > >
            > > Harry
            > > Analysis
            > > '79 S34-I #063
            > > Mill Creek, Annapolis

          • raven3483
            Message 5 of 12 , May 22, 2013
              I did this to my 34Mk1 about 5 years ago but rather than Starboard I used an inexpensive polymer 3/8" cutting board picked up at Bed/Bath/Beyond. To seal the roughly triangular top piece to the underside of the deck I roughed the surface, drilled a number of small holes to enhance the grip and buttered it up with thickened epoxy.

              For the vertical piece (the old one was screwed in and came out easily), I used the old board as a template and cut a spare piece of marine ply to fit. A couple coats of clear epoxy sealed it up and a piece of butyl tape to seal the top edge against the cutting board and it's been leak-free ever since.

              Dave
              Raven
              '83 S34 #183
              Lake Erie

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "sailor11767" <sailor11767@...> wrote:

              > I have a leak I'm finally tracking down on my 34-I. Rain water runs off the anchor locker cover and into the locker. 99% falls to the bottom with no issues. However, in the starboard aft corner, there is large wood block which holds some vents and covers the forepeak water tank fill hose. Water lands on that block, seeps (pours?) aft, and then down to the forepeak bilge area. I can possibly run a bead of caulk along that joint, but I figured I'd pull the whole thing out and take a look.
              >
              > Problem is, the six nuts that hold it in place won't come off. The bolts all rotate. I have no idea how to get to the back side of those bolts.
              >
              > Any suggestions on how to get them off? A thought comes to mind of sawing a slot in the end of the bolts, and putting in a very small screwdriver and backing off the nuts.
              >
              > Harry
              > Analysis
              > '79 S34-I #063
              > Mill Creek, Annapolis

            • Alan Pressman
              Message 6 of 12 , May 22, 2013
                I did this on Windswept too.  The one advantage to being able to remove the access panel is that I recently had a problem with my holding tank vent.  It was completely clogged and wouldn't accept any more waste, so I needed to remove this panel to access the 90 degree bend fitting that went thru the hull to the vent.  This was the only way I could see to remove the vent hose and to bend up a metal "reamer" to clear the gunk in the vent fitting.

                My screws went back in fine and seated well and I added a little silicone to seal and act as adhesive, with a generous bead of silicone all around the access panel.

                I also saw a few openings/gaps on both port and starboard sides that allowed water to transfer through the aft anchor locker bulkhead and underside of the  deck to the V berth hull area behind the interior slats.  One of the holes on starboard side appears to have been left open to run wiring to the bow lights.

                Alan
                Windswept, S 34 #430

                On Mon, May 20, 2013 at 8:40 PM, Alan <altherrien@...> wrote:

                Harry,

                Mine was installed with screws.  I think your initial reaction is appropriate.

                In my anchor locker, I glassed in a flat mounting surface on all four sides of the opening. I glassed the top edge of the new mounting surface to the underside of the anchor locker decking.  I then made a square cover out of a spare piece of fiberglass and mounted it over the opening with screws and a "caulking gasket".

                I also had a small amount of leakage along the entire top edge.  I replaced the horizontal piece of plywood that meets the aft top edge of the locker bulkhead.  It was in very poor condition.  After replacing the plywood, and covering the new plywood with epoxy, I ran a small fillet of thickened epoxy along the entire edge, where the underside of the decking meets the aft anchor locker bulkhead.

                Three years - no leaks.

                Alan T.
                S34 Mk I  #162

                Message 7 of 12 , May 22, 2013
                  Similar approach, used Okume marine ply treated with Smiths penetrating epoxy. For the top triangle I added a slope sculpted using bondo so the water would not pool and then gel coated the whole interior with the Sabre Mahogany. It has been almost six years with no issues.

                  Martin