Re: Binnacle Rail Mounted E7

  • mainecruising
    Message 1 of 14 , May 11, 2013
      NavPod sells a taller 58" X 1" guard, the SG10, which you can then cut to a specific height with a pipe cutter.. I think they run about $130.00 -$145.00 depending upon vendor.

      On many early Edson pedestals the compass bolts WILL NOT come out because they are literally cold welded in due to aluminum to SS corrosion. This is why I often choose to offer the customer a 1" pedestal rather than breaking a compass bolt to get the pedestal guard top plate off. Many an Edson pedestal has been destroyed by snapping frozen in compass bolts. If this happens then you're into at least a full removal of the pedestal to drop it at a machine shop for extraction or a new pedestal all together. If your compass bolts are black in color they should come out okay but if non-coated SS, and old, please be very careful...

      I've done lots of angle guards etc. but also had a lot of older pedestals with non-black compass bolts where they were not coming out without breaking...

      -RC