Re: rode & chain

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 13 , May 9 8:23 PM
      JB,
      Just took off the CQR and installed a Rocna last week. Used it once so far but I am not going back. It set immediately (and I mean instantly) and even though winds never got over 15knots, it took twice as long to dislodge as the CQR had in the same anchorage and conditions. The CQR is a good anchor, but it dates back to 1935 and has been difficult for me to set in several types of bottoms (thin mud, grass and pebbles). I hated leaving the boat to go ashore as I did not trust it to reset in a 180 degree wind or tide shift. I'd get a modern anchor, Spade, Manson, Rocna etc.

      Cheers,
      Martin

    • mc1001@rocketmail.com
      Message 2 of 13 , May 10 6:00 AM
        Thanks, Martin et al,

        I had not thought of switching out the CQR, but there are arguments
        for it. The Rocna is not so expensive, and some savings could come if I reduce
        the amount of chain I buy (the Rocna website makes abrasion resistance the
        only real virtue). I'll have to think this over. Jim

      • mc1001@rocketmail.com
        Message 3 of 13 , May 10 7:05 AM
          Thanks, Martin et al,

          I had not thought of switching out the CQR, but there are arguments
          for it. The Rocna is not so expensive, and some savings could come if I reduce
          the amount of chain I buy (the Rocna website makes abrasion resistance the
          only real virtue). I'll have to think this over. Jim

          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" <mnthomas46@...> wrote:

          > JB,
          > Just took off the CQR and installed a Rocna last week. Used it once so far but I am not going back. It set immediately (and I mean instantly) and even though winds never got over 15knots, it took twice as long to dislodge as the CQR had in the same anchorage and conditions. The CQR is a good anchor, but it dates back to 1935 and has been difficult for me to set in several types of bottoms (thin mud, grass and pebbles). I hated leaving the boat to go ashore as I did not trust it to reset in a 180 degree wind or tide shift. I'd get a modern anchor, Spade, Manson, Rocna etc.
          >
          > Cheers,
          > Martin
          >
          > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "mc1001@" <mc1001@> wrote:
          > >
          > > Hi all!
          > >
          > > I am closing on a Sabre 38 MK 2 in CT tomorrow. (I had a 36, but lost
          > > it in Sandy.) The survey turned out very good, but one problem was the
          > > chain and rode, which need to be replaced. I know what I had on my 36,
          > > but this boat is obviously heavier. I am thinking of getting this:
          > >
          > > http://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1|10391|32295|593390&id=1018575
          > >
          > > with, perhaps 10 extra ft of chain. I plan to use the boat for about a month of cruising
          > > (NJ to Maine) a year. The anchor is a 35lb (I think) CQR.
          > >
          > > Thoughts?
          > >
          > > JM

        • Dan Trainor
          Message 4 of 13 , May 13 8:43 AM
            Which anchor:  Spade, Manson, or Rocna  would sit best on bow roller of Sabre 32. I have no windlass, as I don't need it.  I just pull by hand.  Which one would best sit on roller platform and easily secured?  Thanks,  Dan

            --
            Dan
          • navip11
            Message 5 of 13 , May 13 9:10 AM
              Dan,

              I have a Manson Supreme on our 30 mkIII it works on the roller, sort of. The roll bar hits the bow light which is welded to the underside of the second bar on the bow pulpit. This prevents me from pulling the anchor snug against the roller. Dont know if the same would apply to your 32. I get around this problem by having a whole drilled into the supreme to allow the use of the anchor pin and a combination of lashing the anchor taught.(there is a debate around drilling into the shank nd hurting shank strength but I have not had any problems).

              I would surmise the Ronca might fight better on our roller as the roll ball is tilted forward more.

              hope that helps

              AJ

              --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dan Trainor <dptrainor@...> wrote:

              > Which anchor: Spade, Manson, or Rocna would sit best on bow roller of
              > Sabre 32. I have no windlass, as I don't need it. I just pull by hand.
              > Which one would best sit on roller platform and easily secured? Thanks,
              > Dan
              >

              > On Fri, May 10, 2013 at 10:05 AM, mc1001@... <
              > mc1001@...> wrote:
              >
              > > **
              > >

              > > Thanks, Martin et al,
              > >
              > > I had not thought of switching out the CQR, but there are arguments
              > > for it. The Rocna is not so expensive, and some savings could come if I
              > > reduce
              > > the amount of chain I buy (the Rocna website makes abrasion resistance the
              > > only real virtue). I'll have to think this over. Jim
              > >
              > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" <mnthomas46@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > JB,
              > > > Just took off the CQR and installed a Rocna last week. Used it once so
              > > far but I am not going back. It set immediately (and I mean instantly) and
              > > even though winds never got over 15knots, it took twice as long to dislodge
              > > as the CQR had in the same anchorage and conditions. The CQR is a good
              > > anchor, but it dates back to 1935 and has been difficult for me to set in
              > > several types of bottoms (thin mud, grass and pebbles). I hated leaving the
              > > boat to go ashore as I did not trust it to reset in a 180 degree wind or
              > > tide shift. I'd get a modern anchor, Spade, Manson, Rocna etc.
              > > >
              > > > Cheers,
              > > > Martin

              > > |10391|32295|593390&id=1018575

              > > month of cruising

              > --
              > Dan

            • Dan Trainor
              Message 6 of 13 , May 13 9:23 AM
                Thanks very helpful info on Mason.. Sabre 32 should be the same.  Perhaps Ronca would sit better on roller.

                --
                Dan
                Message 7 of 13 , May 13 11:19 AM
                  Unlikely.  The Rocna has substantially different geometry than the CQR for which most rollers are designed.  And the roll bar doesn't help at all.  But the only way to know is to try one.  The West Marine "super stores" stock Rocnas, so you could return one if it doesn't fit.  Generally, however, Rocnas are special order items.

                  --
                  Dan

                • vanbeckump
                  Message 8 of 13 , May 13 3:07 PM
                    I am in the process of putting a Rocna 10Kg on my S30 mk3. It fits the roller just fine but the pin that secures it doesn't line up. I think I will drill a new hole in the roller jaws rather than the anchor shank.

                    Peter

                    --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Jim Starkey <jim@...> wrote:

                    > Unlikely. The Rocna has substantially different geometry than the CQR
                    > for which most rollers are designed. And the roll bar doesn't help at
                    > all. But the only way to know is to try one. The West Marine "super
                    > stores" stock Rocnas, so you could return one if it doesn't fit.
                    > Generally, however, Rocnas are special order items.
                    >

                    > On 5/13/2013 12:23 PM, Dan Trainor wrote:
                    > > Thanks very helpful info on Mason.. Sabre 32 should be the same.
                    > > Perhaps Ronca would sit better on roller.
                    > >

                    > > On Mon, May 13, 2013 at 12:10 PM, navip11 <navip11@...
                    > > <mailto:navip11@...>> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Dan,
                    > >
                    > > I have a Manson Supreme on our 30 mkIII it works on the roller,
                    > > sort of. The roll bar hits the bow light which is welded to the
                    > > underside of the second bar on the bow pulpit. This prevents me
                    > > from pulling the anchor snug against the roller. Dont know if the
                    > > same would apply to your 32. I get around this problem by having a
                    > > whole drilled into the supreme to allow the use of the anchor pin
                    > > and a combination of lashing the anchor taught.(there is a debate
                    > > around drilling into the shank nd hurting shank strength but I
                    > > have not had any problems).
                    > >
                    > > I would surmise the Ronca might fight better on our roller as the
                    > > roll ball is tilted forward more.
                    > >
                    > > hope that helps
                    > >
                    > > AJ
                    > >

                    > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com
                    > > <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>, Dan Trainor
                    > > <dptrainor@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Which anchor: Spade, Manson, or Rocna would sit best on bow
                    > > roller of
                    > > > Sabre 32. I have no windlass, as I don't need it. I just pull by
                    > > hand.
                    > > > Which one would best sit on roller platform and easily secured?
                    > > Thanks,
                    > > > Dan

                    > > arguments
                    > > come if I
                    > > resistance the

                    > > <mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com>, "Martin" <mnthomas46@>

                    > > it once so
                    > > instantly) and
                    > > long to dislodge
                    > > is a good
                    > > me to set in
                    > > hated leaving the
                    > > degree wind or

                    > > 36, but lost
                    > > problem was the
                    > > had on my 36,
                    > > getting this:

                    > > for about a

                    > > > --
                    > > > Dan
                    > > >

                    > > --
                    > > Dan

                  • JOHN CALLIS
                    Message 9 of 13 , May 15 9:20 AM
                      I have a 35 lb Rocna on my S34 MKII and it fits very well with the exception of the pin not lining up with the hole on the pulpit.

                      I was going to drill the shank of the roller but do not want to encourage rust.  Would it be bad to drill the aluminum bow pulpit to fit the hole in the anchor?

                      John

                      --
                      Dan