Re: [SabreSailboat] Speed under power

  • Allison Lehman
    Message 1 of 12 , May 8, 2013
      how do you guys do motoring into steep chop and big wind.  This has been a problem for us.  WE have a (reconditioned by PYI) 3 blade max prop and wing keel.  We have only had those conditions for a prolonged amount of time once but it was VERY slow going.

      Allison

      On May 8, 2013, at 7:41 AM, Jules Bender <julesbender@...> wrote:

      I also have a 362 and years ago I switched from a 2 blade folding prop to a 3 blade prop from Autoprop....the reason I changed is because while motoring around Pt Judith in RI in strong winds and chop I was barely making any headway....with my 3 blade prop I can motor at 7 knots at 2500 RPM....Jules Bender 362/110

      On Tue, May 7, 2013 at 10:21 PM, Allison Lehman <allisonleh@...> wrote:

      Rob what kind of prop do you have?  Also do you have a wing keel?

      Allison

      On May 7, 2013, at 3:45 PM, Yahoo <forty_shrimps@...> wrote:

      I had my prop reconditioned and repitched over the winter to address the fact that I was cruising along at disappointing speeds while motoring at cruising rpm.  It seems to have done the trick.  When I went for my first sail of the season on Sunday, I was able to do better than 5 knots over land motoring against the wind and current at 2800 rpm.  At full throttle I registered 3800 rpm and was doing nearly 7 knots in the same conditions.  There was a noticeable improvement in boat speed at all rpms versus last season, when I would maybe move 4-4.5 knots in calm conditions with rpms > 3000.

      Still need to test boat speed in calm conditions, but would love to hear what kind of boat speeds other Sabres are achieving at cruising rpm however you define that.

      Thanks
      Rob

      "Tash" 362 '95

      Sent from my iPad

      On May 7, 2013, at 3:20 PM, "Devine, John" <john_devine@...> wrote:

      You can use 3/8” adhesive lined tube available in many lengths and colors or you can spray the stick with gloss or flat white Rust-Oleum for $3.50.

        Hi I need to prevent glass splinters. What size heat shrink tube do I need to get for the mast on a pickup buoy?

        Thanks

        Tom

      • Yahoo