Re: Sabre 34MKII " STIFF STEERING" -Unloosen Helm Brake, yet Still Stiff, not right

  • Martin
    Message 1 of 9 , May 5, 2013
      On our boat the PO took out the lower grease cup. Rudder became stiff. When doing some repairs on the rudder packing gland,I put in a zerc and pumped a lot of grease in there. Helm is now great, and I pump in another good amount of grease annually. If you assume the grease cup holds .5 oz I pump in at least 3 oz of grease.

      Cheers,
      Martin
      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cttopsail" <cttopsail@...> wrote:

      > THE PROBLEM/ISSUE:: Advise Needed:I took off the Helm Brake (on since
      > Fall when de-commissioned)and tried steering left to right, etc.) and it
      > felt Very Stiff, Almost like half the helm brake was still on.
      > Background:When I left the boat in the Fall for the yard to decommission
      > helm was fine. I know how my helm feels since I have owned her for over
      > 18 years, there is something wrong. As a matter of background, I did
      > have the gland re-packed in 2008. The Boat is on the hard now was
      > getting ready to paint and in order to to a good job, need to move the
      > helm to paint bottom.
      > My Thoughts?My initial thought it is the Helm Brake not fully loosening
      > the helm? Is that possible?Did my Yard unknown to me have a soft landing
      > while in the water of placing boat onfor winterization cause damage? The
      > only other work they did this year was to install a New Water Pump,
      > Change oil, oil filter, fuel filters and change transmission fluid.
      > HELPHas any of Sabre 34MKII (or other Sabre Owner) experienced this or
      > can give insights?

    • cttopsail
      Message 2 of 9 , May 12, 2013
        Thank you... Will grease cups and fully re-inspect the steering quadrant and cables. Will Launch this week and do suspect the water
        with lubricate the gland and will have smoother steering. Thanks for your thoughts. Any other changes I will share to help others on my findings.

        Best, Sabre 34 MKII CTtopsail

        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" <mnthomas46@...> wrote:

        > On our boat the PO took out the lower grease cup. Rudder became stiff. When doing some repairs on the rudder packing gland,I put in a zerc and pumped a lot of grease in there. Helm is now great, and I pump in another good amount of grease annually. If you assume the grease cup holds .5 oz I pump in at least 3 oz of grease.
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Martin
        > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "cttopsail" <cttopsail@> wrote:
        > >
        > > THE PROBLEM/ISSUE:: Advise Needed:I took off the Helm Brake (on since
        > > Fall when de-commissioned)and tried steering left to right, etc.) and it
        > > felt Very Stiff, Almost like half the helm brake was still on.
        > > Background:When I left the boat in the Fall for the yard to decommission
        > > helm was fine. I know how my helm feels since I have owned her for over
        > > 18 years, there is something wrong. As a matter of background, I did
        > > have the gland re-packed in 2008. The Boat is on the hard now was
        > > getting ready to paint and in order to to a good job, need to move the
        > > helm to paint bottom.
        > > My Thoughts?My initial thought it is the Helm Brake not fully loosening
        > > the helm? Is that possible?Did my Yard unknown to me have a soft landing
        > > while in the water of placing boat onfor winterization cause damage? The
        > > only other work they did this year was to install a New Water Pump,
        > > Change oil, oil filter, fuel filters and change transmission fluid.
        > > HELPHas any of Sabre 34MKII (or other Sabre Owner) experienced this or
        > > can give insights?

      • Dan Trainor
        Message 3 of 9 , May 13, 2013
          I would  like to replace the cups with zerc? fittings.  How I do this?  Is fitting a custom made part or off the shelf?  These cups don't seem to be very effective.  I would like to inject grease into rudder post easily.  Thanks..Dan Sabre 32

          --
          Dan
        • Martin
          Message 4 of 9 , May 13, 2013
            Just unscrew the grease cup fitting and find a zerc with matching size/threads from local marine or auto supply store.
            Cheers,
            Martin

            --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, Dan Trainor <dptrainor@...> wrote:

            > I would like to replace the cups with zerc? fittings. How I do this? Is
            > fitting a custom made part or off the shelf? These cups don't seem to be
            > very effective. I would like to inject grease into rudder post easily.
            > Thanks..Dan Sabre 32
            >

            > On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 11:53 PM, cttopsail <cttopsail@...> wrote:
            >
            > > **
            > >

            > > Thank you... Will grease cups and fully re-inspect the steering quadrant
            > > and cables. Will Launch this week and do suspect the water
            > > with lubricate the gland and will have smoother steering. Thanks for your
            > > thoughts. Any other changes I will share to help others on my findings.
            > >
            > > Best, Sabre 34 MKII CTtopsail
            > >
            > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Martin" <mnthomas46@> wrote:
            > > >

            > > > On our boat the PO took out the lower grease cup. Rudder became stiff.
            > > When doing some repairs on the rudder packing gland,I put in a zerc and
            > > pumped a lot of grease in there. Helm is now great, and I pump in another
            > > good amount of grease annually. If you assume the grease cup holds .5 oz I
            > > pump in at least 3 oz of grease.
            > > >
            > > > Cheers,
            > > > Martin

            > > it
            > > decommission
            > > landing
            > > The
            > > > >

            > --
            > Dan

          • Godwin Jones
            Message 5 of 9 , May 14, 2013
              Switching to the zerc was not quite that simple for me.  The grease cup was screwed into the fiberglass of the rudder post.  No threads left when removed the cup.  Epoxied zerc fitting.  Standard stainless zerc.

              Godwin
              Bojangles

              Sent from my iPad

            • walkabout193
              Message 6 of 9 , May 14, 2013
                The other lubrication point to check is the pedestal. Assuming you have an Edson unit, there are needle bearings at two locations supporting the axle to which the wheel is attached. Access requires removing the compass and the grease is applied with a syringe into small openings on top of the bearings as I recall.

                Good Luck

                Len
                Walkabout S38 mKII