White acrylic?

  • vanbeckump
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2013
      What are the square white plastic covers on my cabin ceiling made from and does anyone have enough to make a couple of them? 5 1/4" x 5 1/4"

      I am moving my halyard winches to the cabin top and need to cover the holed below.

      Also, I need several of the one inch hole buttons to plug up holes from installing new deck organizers.

      Peter
    • John Kelleher
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2013

        I am getting ready to do the same job.  I was in Home Depot last week and noticed a white plastic cover near the junction boxes.  Picked one up and it is the same size that is currently installed.  The only difference is the new plate has four holes for mounting screw where the original has two.

        Try Home Depot or Lowest first, less than $2.

        John K
        S30 MKI #64

        S/V Imagine
        Bodkin Creek, MD

        On May 1, 2013 10:56 PM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:

        What are the square white plastic covers on my cabin ceiling made from and does anyone have enough to make a couple of them? 5 1/4" x 5 1/4"

        I am moving my halyard winches to the cabin top and need to cover the holed below.

        Also, I need several of the one inch hole buttons to plug up holes from installing new deck organizers.

        Peter

      • Richard Coerse

          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2013
            Peter

            Go to any auto parts store and go to the auto body section.
            You will bondo/polyester filler products.
            Most stores sell a white plastic 12” x 12” mortarboard to mix the filler on.
            It is exactly the same color and thickness.

            You can cut with a knife or sissors, then drill holes for your mounting screws.

            As mentioned hardware stores carry the small screw plugs.

            Regards

            john

            Sent from Windows Mail

            Message 5 of 7 , May 2, 2013
              A couple years ago, I purchased a few of the original type from Sabre. I believe that Glen Chaplin said they were Lexan. They're not cheap, but they match perfectly. Perhaps you can get the same at Home Depot or other places, just letting you know I got some from Sabre.

              Same with the 1" headliner plugs, but I certainly think that if you can find them at Ace or True Value (as Dick mentioned), they're probably the exact same. Those from Sabre were still pretty cheap (I think I got a dozen or so for less than $2).
              -Jim

              Message 6 of 7 , May 2, 2013
                I found them in Lowes. I believe the brand was "wiremold." The ones I got have two screw holes, have a matte finish, are round, and are beige -- almost a perfect match for the fiberglass. They are designed for covering unused ceiling boxes. I think they are orders of magnitude nicer than the crap that Sabre hacked out of Lexan!

                Harry

                --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, John Kelleher <johnmkelleher@...> wrote:

                > I am getting ready to do the same job. I was in Home Depot last week and
                > noticed a white plastic cover near the junction boxes. Picked one up and
                > it is the same size that is currently installed. The only difference is
                > the new plate has four holes for mounting screw where the original has
                > two.
                >
                > Try Home Depot or Lowest first, less than $2.
                >
                > John K
                > S30 MKI #64
                >
                > S/V Imagine
                > Bodkin Creek, MD
                > On May 1, 2013 10:56 PM, "vanbeckump" <vanbeckump@...> wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > What are the square white plastic covers on my cabin ceiling made from and
                > > does anyone have enough to make a couple of them? 5 1/4" x 5 1/4"
                > >
                > > I am moving my halyard winches to the cabin top and need to cover the
                > > holed below.
                > >
                > > Also, I need several of the one inch hole buttons to plug up holes from
                > > installing new deck organizers.
                > >
                > > Peter

              • carlsonm54
                Message 7 of 7 , May 3, 2013
                  The hole covers are 1/8 or 3/16 white acrylic. Most sign shops have plenty of small cut offs laying around.

                  You can buy a pieces as small as 12 x 12" from

                  http://www.usplastic.com/ for about $6.00

                  Cut to size with a sabre saw (preferred method)or table saw and bevel the edges with a belt sander.

                  Id there is curve in your head liner take a heat gun and warm the plastic and you can form it to shape needed.