Re: Mast work over winter

    Message 1 of 14 , May 1, 2013
      Umm ... No. My cabin sole project has gotten so overwhelming that I have had to take a break -- I haven't worked on the boat at all since November. I'm also realizing that if I do all the "must do" items on my list, it will be a long time before the boat sails again (as in "years"). I've been looking real hard at the list, and scrubbing off important items that can't be done later, with the thought that there is no point in having the boat if I will be paying storage for another 2 years or more on top of the 2 years I've already wasted. Mast work has a lot on the scrub list. I'm not doing any rewiring, or fixing the anchor light, or putting up instruments, or replacing the VHF wire/antenna, or inspecting/replacing halyard sheaves, or replacing the standing rigging -- I'm not even going to have an operational jib furler when it goes back. I know that the cost and effort of a mast removal (close to $700, plus all the manpower to get it off the boat when I get home -- and back on afterwards) means I'll probably never get the chance again, but I need to set my objective at "nice 30 year old boat" and not "as good as new."

      So, short answer, I don't have anything helpful to report.

      Harry