keel conversion

  • John Horr
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 30 7:13 AM
      Anyone ever attempt a Mars keel conversion?  My S 30 III has the deep 5'3" keel. It was also available in a 4" shoal version. Would like to take it to the Neuse River/ Palmico Sound in a year.    Thanks  John   Parlor Car
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 30 7:48 AM
        John -
        I have the shoal version.  I've also seen the deep version and made mental notes.  The deep keel has a longer stub in the hull and is thinner.  The shoal version is @ 500# heavier and has a thicker section, less tapered toward the bottom.  The two boats sail nearly identically, with the deep keel making less leeway and pointing a little higher over the bottom.
        If the Mars conversion involves cutting a foot+ off the bottom and adding a split bulb,  it should work fairly well, possibly out performing the factory shoal keel.  The trick will be getting the right weight and placement of the bulb.
        Pete

        On Tue, Apr 30, 2013 at 10:13 AM, John Horr <lakeeffectbluff@...> wrote:

        Anyone ever attempt a Mars keel conversion?  My S 30 III has the deep 5'3" keel. It was also available in a 4" shoal version. Would like to take it to the Neuse River/ Palmico Sound in a year.    Thanks  John   Parlor Car

      • Charles Sidwa
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 30 7:53 AM
          My 89 34MKII had it done prior to my purchase, do to the prior owners need for last draft.  I have the, chain saw off a foot and bolt a split bulb on Mars conversion.  It looks good and works well.  Charlie

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 30 8:29 AM
            Pete,
            Mars makes the bulb weight conversion based on the amount that will be taken off at the bottom. Do you know if the deep draft and shoal draft models share the same rudder? Mars 1st question was rudder depth.

            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 30 8:44 AM

              My rudder was not changed when converted and is not deeper then my converted keel.  My boat was a bit interesting as it was commissioned with a 36 keel and mast so came with a deeper keel then average, so hence no rudder issue.   Charlie

              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 30 8:46 AM

                John, if your interested in seeing a Mars conversion it is sitting at the Crescent Yacht Club, a few 100 yards out your back door!   Charlie

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 30 8:50 AM
                  They appear to, but the shoal draft rudder cruises closer to the bottom.  If you  are hauled, you can check ground clearance easily.  You definitely don't want the rudder finding the bottom before the keel.

                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 30 8:55 AM
                    Is it your boat Charlie?  It will give me a chance to meet you  John

                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 30 9:05 AM

                        It is mine, a 1989 34MKII that I own with my boat partner, Joel. Maybe I'll see you Memorial Day weekend.  Charlie

                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 30 9:32 AM
                          I see the cover is off your boat, the docks are all pretty much in over there. Let me know when you are around and I will stop over. I hope to get my dock out and mooring ball back out this weekend  John

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 30 9:35 AM
                            I sail on the Neuse River and don't think 5'3" is a problem. Near New Bern we regularly race with 6' draft boats. The 7'ers have issues, but that's a long ways from 5'3".

                            Lee
                            1983 Sabre 38 maki
                            Cloud Nine

                            Sent from my iPad
                          • John Horr
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 30 9:39 AM

                              Charlie, did you do the conversion yourself or did you have a yard do it?

                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 30 9:58 AM

                                  Prior owner had done it.

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 30 11:04 AM
                                    I am at Blackbeard Sailing Club which is close to Fairfield. Your limiting factor would be water at the dock, not in the river or channel to Fairfield. My suggestion would be to select a house before you select a keel. There are plenty of houses in Fairfield with 5+ feet of water.

                                    Lee

                                    Sent from my iPad