Re: Settee Length

  • Eric
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 3, 2006
      Dave:

      I never knew that was an option on the earlier 30s. I wondered about
      it when looking at the construction of what is on my boat a storage
      locker just aft of the port settee/under the quarter berth. The
      finish piece of teak facing the cabin looks like it could be easily
      removed to make room for the feet of a navigator sitting at a "real"
      nav station. I'd love to see a picture of it if you or one of our
      other members with a similar interior has the time.

      Thanks,

      Eric
      Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
      West River, MD

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Lochner <davelochner@...>
      wrote:

      > Eric,
      >
      > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
      > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
      > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
      > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
      > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
      >

      > Dave
      > Identity Crisis
      > S30 #52
      > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
      >
      > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
      >
      > > Dave:
      > >
      > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
      > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
      > > photo: http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg
      > >
      > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
      > > frequently.
      > >
      > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
      > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
      > > was a really wide cutout).
      > >
      > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
      > >
      > > Eric
      > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
      > > West River, MD
      > >
      > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Lochner <davelochner@>
      > > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Eric,
      > > >
      > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
      > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
      > > sink
      > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
      > > The
      > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
      > > cushions
      > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
      > > > because of the fabric.
      > > >

      > > > Dave
      > > > Identity Crisis
      > > > S30 #52
      > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 3, 2006
        Dave:

        I'm sure you understand my use of quotes around the word "double".
        There is barely enough room for me, much less me AND my 9 pound
        dachshund. Hardly a double except in boat marketing literature!

        wrote:

        > Eric,
        >
        > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
        > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
        > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
        > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
        > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
        >

        > Dave
        > Identity Crisis
        > S30 #52
        > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
        >
        > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
        >
        > > Dave:
        > >
        > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
        > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
        > > photo: http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg
        > >
        > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
        > > frequently.
        > >
        > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
        > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
        > > was a really wide cutout).
        > >
        > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
        > >
        > > Eric
        > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
        > > West River, MD
        > >
        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Lochner <davelochner@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Eric,
        > > >
        > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
        > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
        > > sink
        > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
        > > The
        > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
        > > cushions
        > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
        > > > because of the fabric.
        > > >

        > > > Dave
        > > > Identity Crisis
        > > > S30 #52
        > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

      • Tom & Rose
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 4, 2006
          Hey guys,

          The settees on Imagination are both 6'-4" with the starboard side having a cutout which forms a shelf next to the hanging locker beh8ind the door to the forward "cabin".  Not much room up there.

          Attached are a couple pictures of our interior after replacing rotted bulkheads and shelves behind the settees.

          Eric,  Where do you think one would actually sit once you made room for their feet at a proper nav station?  For Bay sailing I don't mind not having a nav station, the handheld GPS and chart book have gotten us everywhere we've been so far.

          Have a happy 4th.

          Tom
          1980 Sabre 30   #12
          "Imagination"
          Chesapeake Bay (MD)

          href="http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg">http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg

          > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep
          there
          > > frequently.
          > >
          > > Does your port side
          settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
          > > works and that
          would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
          > > was a really
          wide cutout).

          > > I think the back cushions were changed
          as the boats evolved.

          > > Eric
          > > Sabre 30 #36
          "Spirit"

          href="mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com">Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, David Lochner <davelochner@ >

          href="http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intport.jpg">http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intport. jpg

          "Spirit"

        • David Lochner

            wrote:

            > Eric,
            >
            > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
            > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
            > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
            > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
            > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
            >

            > Dave
            > Identity Crisis
            > S30 #52
            > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
            >
            > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
            >
            > > Dave:
            > >
            > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
            > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
            > > photo: http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg
            > >
            > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
            > > frequently.
            > >
            > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
            > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
            > > was a really wide cutout).
            > >
            > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
            > >
            > > Eric
            > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
            > > West River, MD
            > >
            > > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, David Lochner <davelochner@ >
            > > wrote:
            > > >
            > > > Eric,
            > > >
            > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
            > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
            > > sink
            > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
            > > The
            > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
            > > cushions
            > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
            > > > because of the fabric.
            > > >

            > > > Dave
            > > > Identity Crisis
            > > > S30 #52
            > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

            .

            <New Interior.jpg>
            <radio console.jpg>

          • Tom & Rose
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 4, 2006
              Thanks Dave.  I know the state you are talking about.  At times we wondered if Imagination would ever float again.  Good luck finishing the bottom paint and hope you are sailing your own boat again soon.

              wrote:

              > Eric,
              >
              > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
              > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
              > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
              > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
              > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
              >

              > Dave
              > Identity Crisis
              > S30 #52
              > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
              >
              > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
              >
              > > Dave:
              > >
              > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
              > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
              > > photo: http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg
              > >
              > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
              > > frequently.
              > >
              > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
              > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
              > > was a really wide cutout).
              > >
              > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
              > >
              > > Eric
              > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
              > > West River, MD
              > >
              > > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, David Lochner <davelochner@ >
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Eric,
              > > >
              > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
              > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
              > > sink
              > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
              > > The
              > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
              > > cushions
              > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
              > > > because of the fabric.
              > > >

              > > > Dave
              > > > Identity Crisis
              > > > S30 #52
              > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

              .

              <New Interior.jpg>
              <radio console.jpg>

            • David Lochner
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 4, 2006
                Well, in spite of the weather's best efforts and at the last minute finding a small crack in the rudder which triggered a  search for some West System epoxy, Identity Crisis is finally ready to launch tomorrow. Of course, the passing downpour revealed a new and substantial leak, the source of which I can't find. Anyway attached are some photos of the Nav station, Identity Crisis with her winter finery on, and ready to launch.

                By the way, my seatbacks are 14 inches high, didn't measure the length of the settees, there was too much junk in the way.

                Dave

                Identity Crisis

                S30 #52

                Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

              • Edward Flanagan
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006

                  http://www.imtra.com/product/marine_lighting/wall_lights/wall_lights/puma.htm

                  This light from Imtra is expensive but I found one on Ebay, it fits on the bulk head between the fold down table and the port that opens, with just enough room, that's on my 34 Series I.  It is a beautiful light.

                  Ed Flanagan

                  From: "Finley, Mike" <mfinley@...>
                  To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
                  Subject: [SabreSailboat] Cabin Lights
                  Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:51:57 -0400

                  My cabin lights (Reading Lights) on the forward bulkhead of the main Cabin on my S36 are yellowed plastic and my First Mate had condemned them�.Any tribal wisdom on good replacement fixtures?....Krypton, Xenon, LED?

                  Thx

                  Mike

                  Divided Sky

                  1990 S36/100

                • Finley, Mike
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006

                    Thanks Ed – are you using a xenon bulb?

                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                      Mike -
                      If you decide to go with Cabin or IMTRA lights, Peter Kennedy Yacht Service in Annapolis discounts them substantially - 15% on Cabin 20% on IMTRA, plus he's a good guy.
                      Pete

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                        Tom:

                        I'm having trouble visualizing the whole concept but I would think the
                        navigator would have to sit on the aft end of the starboard settee . . .

                        Don't fret, I'm not planning to take a Sawzall to Spirit . . .

                        Not racing tonight and totally bored!

                        Eric
                        Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                        West River, MD

                        --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Tom & Rose" <sailking2@...> wrote:

                        > Hey guys,
                        >
                        > The settees on Imagination are both 6'-4" with the starboard side
                        having a
                        > cutout which forms a shelf next to the hanging locker beh8ind the
                        door to
                        > the forward "cabin". Not much room up there.
                        >
                        > Attached are a couple pictures of our interior after replacing rotted
                        > bulkheads and shelves behind the settees.
                        >
                        > Eric, Where do you think one would actually sit once you made room for
                        > their feet at a proper nav station? For Bay sailing I don't mind
                        not having
                        > a nav station, the handheld GPS and chart book have gotten us everywhere
                        > we've been so far.
                        >
                        > Have a happy 4th.
                        >
                        > Tom
                        > 1980 Sabre 30 #12
                        > "Imagination"
                        > Chesapeake Bay (MD)
                        >

                        > _____

                      • Tom & Rose
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                          Eric,

                          After looking at Dave's photo's I see the navigator sits facing forward and it's easy to see why that design looses some settee length.  I'm not ready to make that change either.  We almost never open up the flip out nav table that we have so I'd rather have the extra seating capacity.

                          I just finished getting the inside of my 1971 International (now called Club) 420 ready for paint.  It's been a few years since we had it in the water and I'm hoping to get it down to Rock Hall in a couple weeks for some zippy, wet cheeks sailing.

                          Tom

                          I'm having trouble visualizing the whole concept but I would think the
                          navigator would have to sit on the aft end of the starboard settee . . .

                          Don't fret, I'm not planning to take a Sawzall to Spirit . . .

                          Not racing tonight and totally bored!

                          Eric
                          Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                          West River, MD

                          --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom & Rose" <sailking2@. ..> wrote:

                          > Hey
                          guys,

                          > The settees on Imagination are both 6'-4" with the
                          starboard side
                          having a
                          > cutout which forms a shelf next to the
                          hanging locker beh8ind the
                          door to
                          > the forward "cabin". Not much room
                          up there.

                          > Attached are a couple pictures of our interior after
                          replacing rotted
                          > bulkheads and shelves behind the settees.
                          >
                          > Eric, Where do you think one would actually sit once you made room
                          for
                          > their feet at a proper nav station? For Bay sailing I don't
                          mind
                          not having
                          > a nav station, the handheld GPS and chart book have
                          gotten us everywhere
                          > we've been so far.
                          >
                          > Have a happy
                          4th.

                          > Tom
                          > 1980 Sabre 30 #12
                          > "Imagination"
                          > Chesapeake Bay (MD)
                          >

                          > _____

                          > I'm sure you understand my use of quotes around the word
                          "double".
                          > There is barely enough room for me, much less me AND my 9
                          pound
                          > dachshund. Hardly a double except in boat marketing
                          literature!

                          > Eric
                          > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                          > West
                          River, MD

                          PM, Eric wrote:

                          > > > Dave:
                          > > >
                          > > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side,
                          but not
                          > > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in
                          this
                          > > > photo: http://spirit. <
                          href="http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg">http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg>

                          the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg

                          wrote:

                          On Identity
                          > > > sink
                          head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.

                          The
                          The back
                          > > > cushions
                          shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
                          of the fabric.

                          in this photo:

                          href="http://spirit.">http://spirit. <http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intport. jpg>

                          the-millers. org/Intport. jpg

                        • David Lochner
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                          • David Lochner
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                              OK,

                              I'll be more carefull this time!

                              As you can see from the attached photos, the forward end of the quarterberth serves as the seat. Its a tight fit and I seldom use it that way. Usually I stand in the middle of the boat and use the table. The storage area is useful as are the drawers.

                              Dave

                              Identity Crisis

                              S30 #52

                              Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

                            • Edward Flanagan
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 6, 2006

                                I am using the bulb that came with it, I also had to replace the switch last year and Imtra sent one out NC.  (no charge),

                                Ed Flanagan

                                From: "Finley, Mike" <mfinley@...>
                                To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
                                Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:46:49 -0400

                                From: "Finley, Mike" <mfinley@...>
                                To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
                                Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:51:57 -0400

                                My cabin lights (Reading Lights) on the forward bulkhead of the main Cabin on my S36 are yellowed plastic and my First Mate had condemned them�.Any tribal wisdom on good replacement fixtures?....Krypton, Xenon, LED?

                                Thx

                                Mike

                                Divided Sky

                                1990 S36/100