Re: [SabreSailboat] Re: Settee Length

  • David Lochner
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 3, 2006
      Eric,

      From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the  pull-out double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.

      Dave

      Identity Crisis

      S30 #52

      Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

      On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:

      Dave:

      There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
      on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
      photo: http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg

      I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
      frequently.

      Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
      works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
      was a really wide cutout).

      I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.

      Eric
      Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
      West River, MD

      --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Lochner <davelochner@...>
      wrote:

      > Eric,
      >
      > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
      > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the sink
      > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side. The
      > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back cushions
      > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
      > because of the fabric.
      >

      > Dave
      > Identity Crisis
      > S30 #52
      > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
      >
      > On Jul 3, 2006, at 12:08 PM, Eric wrote:
      >
      > > You can see one (with the old shade) in this photo:
      > >
      > > http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intport.jpg
      > >
      > > Eric
      > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
      > > West River, MD

    • Eric
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 3, 2006
        Dave:

        I never knew that was an option on the earlier 30s. I wondered about
        it when looking at the construction of what is on my boat a storage
        locker just aft of the port settee/under the quarter berth. The
        finish piece of teak facing the cabin looks like it could be easily
        removed to make room for the feet of a navigator sitting at a "real"
        nav station. I'd love to see a picture of it if you or one of our
        other members with a similar interior has the time.

        Thanks,

        wrote:

        > Eric,
        >
        > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
        > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
        > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
        > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
        > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
        >

        > Dave
        > Identity Crisis
        > S30 #52
        > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
        >
        > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
        >
        > > Dave:
        > >
        > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
        > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
        > > photo: http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg
        > >
        > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
        > > frequently.
        > >
        > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
        > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
        > > was a really wide cutout).
        > >
        > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
        > >
        > > Eric
        > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
        > > West River, MD
        > >
        > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Lochner <davelochner@>
        > > wrote:
        > > >
        > > > Eric,
        > > >
        > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
        > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
        > > sink
        > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
        > > The
        > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
        > > cushions
        > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
        > > > because of the fabric.
        > > >

        > > > Dave
        > > > Identity Crisis
        > > > S30 #52
        > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

      • Eric
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 3, 2006
          Dave:

          I'm sure you understand my use of quotes around the word "double".
          There is barely enough room for me, much less me AND my 9 pound
          dachshund. Hardly a double except in boat marketing literature!

          wrote:

          > Eric,
          >
          > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
          > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
          > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
          > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
          > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
          >

          > Dave
          > Identity Crisis
          > S30 #52
          > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
          >
          > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
          >
          > > Dave:
          > >
          > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
          > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
          > > photo: http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg
          > >
          > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
          > > frequently.
          > >
          > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
          > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
          > > was a really wide cutout).
          > >
          > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
          > >
          > > Eric
          > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
          > > West River, MD
          > >
          > > --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, David Lochner <davelochner@>
          > > wrote:
          > > >
          > > > Eric,
          > > >
          > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
          > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
          > > sink
          > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
          > > The
          > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
          > > cushions
          > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
          > > > because of the fabric.
          > > >

          > > > Dave
          > > > Identity Crisis
          > > > S30 #52
          > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

        • Tom & Rose
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 4, 2006
            Hey guys,

            The settees on Imagination are both 6'-4" with the starboard side having a cutout which forms a shelf next to the hanging locker beh8ind the door to the forward "cabin".  Not much room up there.

            Attached are a couple pictures of our interior after replacing rotted bulkheads and shelves behind the settees.

            Eric,  Where do you think one would actually sit once you made room for their feet at a proper nav station?  For Bay sailing I don't mind not having a nav station, the handheld GPS and chart book have gotten us everywhere we've been so far.

            Have a happy 4th.

            Tom
            1980 Sabre 30   #12
            "Imagination"
            Chesapeake Bay (MD)

            href="http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg">http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg

            > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep
            there
            > > frequently.
            > >
            > > Does your port side
            settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
            > > works and that
            would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
            > > was a really
            wide cutout).

            > > I think the back cushions were changed
            as the boats evolved.

            > > Eric
            > > Sabre 30 #36
            "Spirit"

            href="mailto:Sabresailboat%40yahoogroups.com">Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, David Lochner <davelochner@ >

            href="http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intport.jpg">http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intport. jpg

            "Spirit"

          • David Lochner

              wrote:

              > Eric,
              >
              > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
              > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
              > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
              > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
              > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
              >

              > Dave
              > Identity Crisis
              > S30 #52
              > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
              >
              > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
              >
              > > Dave:
              > >
              > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
              > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
              > > photo: http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg
              > >
              > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
              > > frequently.
              > >
              > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
              > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
              > > was a really wide cutout).
              > >
              > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
              > >
              > > Eric
              > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
              > > West River, MD
              > >
              > > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, David Lochner <davelochner@ >
              > > wrote:
              > > >
              > > > Eric,
              > > >
              > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
              > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
              > > sink
              > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
              > > The
              > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
              > > cushions
              > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
              > > > because of the fabric.
              > > >

              > > > Dave
              > > > Identity Crisis
              > > > S30 #52
              > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

              .

              <New Interior.jpg>
              <radio console.jpg>

            • Tom & Rose
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 4, 2006
                Thanks Dave.  I know the state you are talking about.  At times we wondered if Imagination would ever float again.  Good luck finishing the bottom paint and hope you are sailing your own boat again soon.

                wrote:

                > Eric,
                >
                > From looking at your website, you have the "fold-up" navigator's
                > station. I have a fixed navigator's station. Thus, the port settee is
                > shorter and making the cutout necessary. I don't have the pull-out
                > double, so the settee may be a bit lower making my cushions a bit
                > taller. I often sleep on the settee, but they are narrow.
                >

                > Dave
                > Identity Crisis
                > S30 #52
                > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario
                >
                > On Jul 3, 2006, at 8:52 PM, Eric wrote:
                >
                > > Dave:
                > >
                > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side, but not
                > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in this
                > > photo: http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg
                > >
                > > I know the port side settee is roughly 6'2" because I sleep there
                > > frequently.
                > >
                > > Does your port side settee pull out into a "double"? That's how mine
                > > works and that would seem to make the cutout of little use (unless it
                > > was a really wide cutout).
                > >
                > > I think the back cushions were changed as the boats evolved.
                > >
                > > Eric
                > > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                > > West River, MD
                > >
                > > --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, David Lochner <davelochner@ >
                > > wrote:
                > > >
                > > > Eric,
                > > >
                > > > I'm curious, how long are the settes in your cabin? On Identity
                > > > Crisis (#52) there are cutouts in the bulkhead that go under the
                > > sink
                > > > in the head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.
                > > The
                > > > photo you posted doesn't appear to have the cutout. The back
                > > cushions
                > > > also appear to be shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
                > > > because of the fabric.
                > > >

                > > > Dave
                > > > Identity Crisis
                > > > S30 #52
                > > > Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

                .

                <New Interior.jpg>
                <radio console.jpg>

              • David Lochner
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 4, 2006
                  Well, in spite of the weather's best efforts and at the last minute finding a small crack in the rudder which triggered a  search for some West System epoxy, Identity Crisis is finally ready to launch tomorrow. Of course, the passing downpour revealed a new and substantial leak, the source of which I can't find. Anyway attached are some photos of the Nav station, Identity Crisis with her winter finery on, and ready to launch.

                  By the way, my seatbacks are 14 inches high, didn't measure the length of the settees, there was too much junk in the way.

                  Dave

                  Identity Crisis

                  S30 #52

                  Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

                • Edward Flanagan
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006

                    http://www.imtra.com/product/marine_lighting/wall_lights/wall_lights/puma.htm

                    This light from Imtra is expensive but I found one on Ebay, it fits on the bulk head between the fold down table and the port that opens, with just enough room, that's on my 34 Series I.  It is a beautiful light.

                    Ed Flanagan

                    From: "Finley, Mike" <mfinley@...>
                    To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
                    Subject: [SabreSailboat] Cabin Lights
                    Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:51:57 -0400

                    My cabin lights (Reading Lights) on the forward bulkhead of the main Cabin on my S36 are yellowed plastic and my First Mate had condemned them�.Any tribal wisdom on good replacement fixtures?....Krypton, Xenon, LED?

                    Thx

                    Mike

                    Divided Sky

                    1990 S36/100

                  • Finley, Mike
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006

                      Thanks Ed – are you using a xenon bulb?

                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                        Mike -
                        If you decide to go with Cabin or IMTRA lights, Peter Kennedy Yacht Service in Annapolis discounts them substantially - 15% on Cabin 20% on IMTRA, plus he's a good guy.
                        Pete

                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                          Tom:

                          I'm having trouble visualizing the whole concept but I would think the
                          navigator would have to sit on the aft end of the starboard settee . . .

                          Don't fret, I'm not planning to take a Sawzall to Spirit . . .

                          Not racing tonight and totally bored!

                          Eric
                          Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                          West River, MD

                          --- In Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com, "Tom & Rose" <sailking2@...> wrote:

                          > Hey guys,
                          >
                          > The settees on Imagination are both 6'-4" with the starboard side
                          having a
                          > cutout which forms a shelf next to the hanging locker beh8ind the
                          door to
                          > the forward "cabin". Not much room up there.
                          >
                          > Attached are a couple pictures of our interior after replacing rotted
                          > bulkheads and shelves behind the settees.
                          >
                          > Eric, Where do you think one would actually sit once you made room for
                          > their feet at a proper nav station? For Bay sailing I don't mind
                          not having
                          > a nav station, the handheld GPS and chart book have gotten us everywhere
                          > we've been so far.
                          >
                          > Have a happy 4th.
                          >
                          > Tom
                          > 1980 Sabre 30 #12
                          > "Imagination"
                          > Chesapeake Bay (MD)
                          >

                          > _____

                        • Tom & Rose
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                            Eric,

                            After looking at Dave's photo's I see the navigator sits facing forward and it's easy to see why that design looses some settee length.  I'm not ready to make that change either.  We almost never open up the flip out nav table that we have so I'd rather have the extra seating capacity.

                            I just finished getting the inside of my 1971 International (now called Club) 420 ready for paint.  It's been a few years since we had it in the water and I'm hoping to get it down to Rock Hall in a couple weeks for some zippy, wet cheeks sailing.

                            Tom

                            I'm having trouble visualizing the whole concept but I would think the
                            navigator would have to sit on the aft end of the starboard settee . . .

                            Don't fret, I'm not planning to take a Sawzall to Spirit . . .

                            Not racing tonight and totally bored!

                            Eric
                            Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                            West River, MD

                            --- In Sabresailboat@ yahoogroups. com, "Tom & Rose" <sailking2@. ..> wrote:

                            > Hey
                            guys,

                            > The settees on Imagination are both 6'-4" with the
                            starboard side
                            having a
                            > cutout which forms a shelf next to the
                            hanging locker beh8ind the
                            door to
                            > the forward "cabin". Not much room
                            up there.

                            > Attached are a couple pictures of our interior after
                            replacing rotted
                            > bulkheads and shelves behind the settees.
                            >
                            > Eric, Where do you think one would actually sit once you made room
                            for
                            > their feet at a proper nav station? For Bay sailing I don't
                            mind
                            not having
                            > a nav station, the handheld GPS and chart book have
                            gotten us everywhere
                            > we've been so far.
                            >
                            > Have a happy
                            4th.

                            > Tom
                            > 1980 Sabre 30 #12
                            > "Imagination"
                            > Chesapeake Bay (MD)
                            >

                            > _____

                            > I'm sure you understand my use of quotes around the word
                            "double".
                            > There is barely enough room for me, much less me AND my 9
                            pound
                            > dachshund. Hardly a double except in boat marketing
                            literature!

                            > Eric
                            > Sabre 30 #36 "Spirit"
                            > West
                            River, MD

                            PM, Eric wrote:

                            > > > Dave:
                            > > >
                            > > > There is a cutout such as you describe on the starboard side,
                            but not
                            > > > on the port side. You can see the starboard side settee in
                            this
                            > > > photo: http://spirit. <
                            href="http://spirit.the-millers.org/Intstbd.jpg">http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg>

                            the-millers. org/Intstbd. jpg

                            wrote:

                            On Identity
                            > > > sink
                            head portside and under the hanging locker starboard side.

                            The
                            The back
                            > > > cushions
                            shorter in height, or it may just be an illusion
                            of the fabric.

                            in this photo:

                            href="http://spirit.">http://spirit. <http://spirit. the-millers. org/Intport. jpg>

                            the-millers. org/Intport. jpg

                          • David Lochner
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                            • David Lochner
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 5, 2006
                                OK,

                                I'll be more carefull this time!

                                As you can see from the attached photos, the forward end of the quarterberth serves as the seat. Its a tight fit and I seldom use it that way. Usually I stand in the middle of the boat and use the table. The storage area is useful as are the drawers.

                                Dave

                                Identity Crisis

                                S30 #52

                                Oswego, NY/Lake Ontario

                              • Edward Flanagan
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 6, 2006

                                  I am using the bulb that came with it, I also had to replace the switch last year and Imtra sent one out NC.  (no charge),

                                  Ed Flanagan

                                  From: "Finley, Mike" <mfinley@...>
                                  To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
                                  Date: Wed, 5 Jul 2006 13:46:49 -0400

                                  From: "Finley, Mike" <mfinley@...>
                                  To: <Sabresailboat@yahoogroups.com>
                                  Date: Sun, 2 Jul 2006 17:51:57 -0400

                                  My cabin lights (Reading Lights) on the forward bulkhead of the main Cabin on my S36 are yellowed plastic and my First Mate had condemned them�.Any tribal wisdom on good replacement fixtures?....Krypton, Xenon, LED?

                                  Thx

                                  Mike

                                  Divided Sky

                                  1990 S36/100